: Dealer denied my warranty

trekster
12-26-06, 08:01 PM
I took my car to the dealer last week. I just got a call from the dealer today. I was having a problem with the car and it was the differental bushing that was worn out. They denied my warranty due to "abuse". I can't fvcking beleive it. Well, I'm going to talk to the service manager tomorrow. They wanted to charge me $355 for it lol. I'm not paying one dime. Well, I was wondering if you guys can help me out so I can show the service manager that this a common problem and I shouldn't pay for it.

Added more info:
Car is a 2004 CTS-V 25,000 Miles Cradle differental bushing is worn out.
Bewley Allen Cadillac Alhambra, CA
Bought the car new
1st owner Bought the car may 2004
I don't have extended warranty
This is my first warranty issue with the rear.
The rear tires have a good amount of tread left.
Here's my story:

C'mon buddy, we need all the details to help you!
I got a call from the dealer:
Dealer Mr. XXX we found the problem on your car.
Me: What was it?
Dealer: The cradle bushing on the differental is worn out and we can't cover it under warranty due to "abuse"
Me: A lot of people are having this problem, I shouldn't be paying for this. How much is it to get it replaced?
Dealer: $355 This is the first time that I have heard of this problem.
Then, I told him that to transfer me to the service manager and told him that theres documented proof on a forum with people that have the same problem.
I made an appointment to talk to him tomorrow.
I need to return the loaner car tomorrow.

He didn't say anything about my mods.
Long tube headers, x-pipe exhaust, uuc shifter with bushings, stealth v tune.

Is there any other details that i'm missing?

HiTechRV
12-26-06, 08:03 PM
What year? Miles? What specifically did they find to think it was abuse - just that the bushing is worn? What dealer?

trekster
12-26-06, 08:06 PM
edit

ctsvflorida
12-26-06, 08:07 PM
C'mon buddy, we need all the details to help you!

trekster
12-26-06, 08:15 PM
edit

heavymetals
12-26-06, 08:25 PM
How old is your V?

You buy it new or used?

ctsvflorida
12-26-06, 08:26 PM
1st warranty issue?
1st rear warranty issue?
Are the rear tires bald? (doesn't really matter but may matter with other facts)
He says abuse and your answer should be...WHAT ABUSE?
We would need his answer then!
I guess anything else from the past will help!

How many miles, how long have you owned it, second owner, third owner etc.

trekster
12-26-06, 08:41 PM
How old is your V?

You buy it new or used? It's going to turn 3 in May and I bought it new.

trekster
12-26-06, 08:44 PM
Info moved to 1st post.

heavymetals
12-26-06, 08:48 PM
I should read more throughly.

Well, do you have extended warranty?

If they still give you crap, take it somewhere else.

trekster
12-26-06, 09:07 PM
I should read more throughly.

Well, do you have extended warranty?

If they still give you crap, take it somewhere else.
..No

thebigjimsho
12-26-06, 09:16 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, you had to do some sweet talking to get it done but that it was included with a diff replacement. Or at least that it could be done with a new diff...

trekster
12-26-06, 09:22 PM
Well, I'm going to take my dad with me, because cadillac dealers never seem to take 20 year olds seriously. It's funny that I know more about the V than most people at the service department.

trekster
12-27-06, 12:30 AM
I let you guys know on how it goes tomorrow. Any advice on how to talk to this guy?

heavymetals
12-27-06, 12:54 AM
Call Cadillac customer service and speak to them before you go back.

Be the "squeaky wheel".

trekster
12-27-06, 01:02 AM
Call Cadillac customer service and speak to them before you go back.

Be the "squeaky wheel".
I'll see if I can get the grease. I'll complain to customer service and march my way to the service department. Does anyone have the number to customer service?

heavymetals
12-27-06, 01:30 AM
Link:

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/contact_us.jsp

Kadonny
12-27-06, 08:11 AM
How are them substantiating abuse?

The Tony Show
12-27-06, 08:20 AM
Be polite but firm. Point out to him that your rear tires are not excessively worn, which would be the first sign of abuse. The GM warranty covers defects of materials and workmanship- a bushing failing is obviously material defect. Also ask him why he would suggest you abuse the car? How it happened is immaterial, and it is rude and presumptive to assume abuse with absoluely no reason.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but if being nice doesn't work then get more aggressive. Remind him that Cadillac pays the dealer for warranty work, so he's costing himself by trying to deny your repairs.

"I'm sure Cadillac wouldn't appreciate hearing that you're creating dissatisfied customers by denying a repair on a well documented issue" might go a long way as a last resort.

TNT V
12-27-06, 08:34 AM
I personally think you will have better luck if your dad calls.

rand49er
12-27-06, 08:42 AM
Absolutely take it somewhere else. Then let the world know about that dealer.

Note my mods below. My dealer suggested a new dif totally covered on warranty when I mentioned whine. However, just to be cautious, I replaced my StealthV tuned PCM with the OEM one before the visit, but that's it.

Just like heavy says, take it to another dealer.

The Tony Show
12-27-06, 08:43 AM
Sadly, I agree. Some of my best customers are younger women and men, but it seems like a lot of dealers figure they can choke a younger person for the money because they're ignorant.

Too bad you're in CA- If you end up in FL, come see me and I'll have it fixed in a flash :D.

CVP33
12-27-06, 09:42 AM
I use to take everything off before a dealer visit. We're talking headers, CAI, CAGS!, everything. The two mistakes I made was leaving in the B/M short shifter, which they blamed for trans #2's failure and the 255 series tires which they blaimed for diff #4's failure.

Colonial Cadillac in Norfolk, VA
Duke Cadillac in Suffolk, VA

VERY mod-unfriendly. I feel your pain. Flash forward one year and my Dodge dealer installed my coilovers, complimented my exhaust and replaced a rim that had excessive adhesive from a wheel weight. They will now be installing a revised trans software for firmer shifts, slotted rotors and revised brake pads all compliments of DCX. What a difference!

CVP33
12-27-06, 09:43 AM
OH, forgot to mention that GM actually pulled my PCM and sent it to Detroit to be "reviewed" by engineers. Them boyz is tazy! :bonkers:

trekster
12-27-06, 09:55 AM
Are you talking about your 300 srt-8?

thebigjimsho
12-27-06, 01:35 PM
They will now be installing a revised trans software for firmer shifts...Firmer shifts. HAH! What a puthy.:nono:

rand49er
12-27-06, 01:38 PM
:stirpot:
:hide:

trekster
12-27-06, 02:23 PM
I got good news.
I talked to the service manager, he couldn't give me proof on how I was abusing my car. He was just telling me about other peoples cars fvcking up on the same thing due to abuse. Wanted to blame my exhaust. He was telling how the car shouldn't be driven hard and he told me a story about him driving one at a track. Saying on how Gm told them to look out for people with bad diffs bushings, and it was due to abusing the car. I was telling him on why does cadillac advertise the whole 0-60 in under 5 and he said that was only for the sts-v and xlr-v :rolleyes:

Then, he starts asking me on why take my car to his dealer and not the one that I usually go to. What The Fvck is this shit. He apparently said that I had bushings installed before and I was explaining to him that it was wheel hop bushings so the car wouldn't hop as much. Then he proceeds, about how the wheel hop only happens when you drive the car hard. Excuse after excuse, but he " gave me a chance" and will do it under warranty.

I got my car back they replaced my window because it wouldn't work, New battery because they had to jump start the car twice, and the bushing was replaced. When, I got inside the car, the bad bushing was in my cup holder.

Kadonny
12-27-06, 02:33 PM
Are you talking about your 300 srt-8?

No, he was talking about his CTS-V that he had before he got the SRT. That's why he still posts here.

Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes you just have to press the dealers. And show him the CTS-V commercial where it shows the car bulleting out of the tunnel.

HiTechRV
12-27-06, 05:21 PM
Glad to hear they had a change of heart!!

The Tony Show
12-27-06, 05:33 PM
He said he "Gave you a chance"? Ha! More like "Did his job and had a defective part replaced".

Man, the nerve on some of these places acting like they're doing you a favor.

urbanski
12-27-06, 05:33 PM
at least you got the old one back :rolleyes:

:lol:

HiTechRV
12-27-06, 05:40 PM
I'm kind of surprised they gave the bad part back.

V-Max
12-27-06, 07:18 PM
... When, I got inside the car, the bad bushing was in my cup holder.

What a pri.k! I think that the owner of the dealership should be a least notified of used parts remaining in the car after repair. Especially if they were not asked for nor wrapped in a bag. You must have really attempted hurt the SA's ego. I suggest in a letter a new caddy coffee cup and you'll take of them on the next dealership survey. :). Then look for another dealership.

Norm

heavymetals
12-27-06, 07:38 PM
Give it a rest.

The car got fixed and you didn't have to get ugly about it.

Obviously the service guy is a jerk.

Take it somewhere else in the future and put the reason why on the survey.

You might want to tell the dealership that because of the way you got treated, your taking your $ and your car elsewhere.

CVP33
12-27-06, 08:40 PM
All my parts were supposedly all returned to GM to be "reviewed" by engineers. They must have a pretty large room dedicated to my failed parts. LOL. I never had ANY of my parts returned to me. Glad your situation worked out, but like others have said, kinda hard to get excited about a situation that should've been uneventful in the first place.

trekster
12-27-06, 09:04 PM
All my parts were supposedly all returned to GM to be "reviewed" by engineers. They must have a pretty large room dedicated to my failed parts. LOL. I never had ANY of my parts returned to me. Glad your situation worked out, but like others have said, kinda hard to get excited about a situation that should've been uneventful in the first place.
Excited about the event?
He did the same thing to me about taking the broken bushing to get it reviewed by GM.:histeric:
Now, I can drive the car again.

Everyone Thanks for all your help!

rgd
12-27-06, 10:07 PM
Thats a bunch of crap. My dealer in No Cal fixed mione in a heart beat. Same problem. They know I track my car all the time too...

Must have a bunch of panty waists working there.

Take him out back and explain how things are done :thepan:. Lol

rgd
12-27-06, 10:09 PM
I guess I shold have read past the first post to see it was fixed...

thebigjimsho
12-27-06, 10:18 PM
What? No retort from CVP? I guess driving an automatic works better than hormone treatments...

CVP33
12-28-06, 11:11 AM
What? No retort from CVP? I guess driving an automatic works better than hormone treatments...

What did I miss?

ssmith100
12-28-06, 11:30 AM
CVP33,

Your very lucky that your Chrysler dealership is mod friendly. When I was looking at selling my V for the Jeep SRT8 my dealer service manager told me I couldn't do anything to it. They regularly take care of my modded V without problem and the Cady DSM is very nice. I asked her why and she said the Chrysler DSM (prick) routinely denied warranty on the Chrysler cars for anything that was modded (including K&N panel replacement air filters). He would not warranty any upgrades on the SRT8 vehicles. Unfortunately that and the 12 MPG on the highway has really kept me away from the Jeep.

Sorry to thread jack.

Shane

CVP33
12-28-06, 11:33 AM
CVP33,

Your very lucky that your Chrysler dealership is mod friendly. When I was looking at selling my V for the Jeep SRT8 my dealer service manager told me I couldn't do anything to it. They regularly take care of my modded V without problem and the Cady DSM is very nice. I asked her why and she said the Chrysler DSM (prick) routinely denied warranty on the Chrysler cars for anything that was modded (including K&N panel replacement air filters). He would not warranty any upgrades on the SRT8 vehicles. Unfortunately that and the 12 MPG on the highway has really kept me away from the Jeep.

Sorry to thread jack.

Shane

Wow. I didn't realize the mileage was that poor for the Jeep. My 300C gets 25mpg with a rwhp of 401. The Chrysler dealership being mod-friendly has not been as issue as all they've done is install my coilovers. No repairs have been necessary in nearly 1 year or 30K miles.

ssmith100
12-28-06, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Hwy mileage is terrible on the Jeep because of the extra weight and AWD. I commute about 75 miles a day so the Jeep would just kill me. The wife's dealership has a loaded 07 (silver) on the show room right now and it's calling my name. There again, gas mileage would kill me.

S

Koooop
12-28-06, 04:04 PM
I would slime up that bushing with some grease, march in the office of the owner of the dealership and drop it on his desk and very nicely (I mean nice) tell him his service guys left this in your coffee holder and it left a bit of a mess and I just thought you should know. Thank him and walk out.

Neighbors replace the rear diff bushing on my 05 V without batting an eye at about 20K miles.

Use a different service writter at the same dealer, it sounds like that guy is just a jerk.

trekster
12-28-06, 04:32 PM
I would slime up that bushing with some grease, march in the office of the owner of the dealership and drop it on his desk and very nicely (I mean nice) tell him his service guys left this in your coffee holder and it left a bit of a mess and I just thought you should know. Thank him and walk out.

Neighbors replace the rear diff bushing on my 05 V without batting an eye at about 20K miles.

Use a different service writter at the same dealer, it sounds like that guy is just a jerk.
I didn't really have a problem with my service writter, it was the service manager and techncian who were the pricks and denied my claim.

I'll post a pic of my diff bushing just for shits n giggles.

lunarx
12-28-06, 10:08 PM
I have been interviewing SoCal dealerships looking for a place to get my engine and differential oil leaks fixed.
I got a bad vibe from the people I spoke too at Bewley Allen.
They indeed seemed prickish and not at all enthusiastic about their work.
I won't bother repeating some of the rediculous things they said to me.
I am glad I scratched them off my list, as a place to seek service.
They appear to be another of the dealers that prefer the simple life of dealing only with older customers.

You did well getting your car fixed, despite your mods, but I would not want those guys anywhere near my car.

trekster
12-28-06, 10:15 PM
I'm not going to bother going there again. I'm going to try out the dealer where heavymetals goes to next time. I heard that they're tolerable with mods.

heavymetals
12-28-06, 11:14 PM
Caveat:

You may have to speak with the service manager after you try to speak to a service advisor.
One flunky wanted me to take my car and try to cram it into reverse while going forward to "see" the problem I was complaining about.:thehand:
The service manager though otherwise, told me that it sounded like I knew what it was I was complaining about (reverse lockout no-op) and my car got fixed without having to trash my transmission.

As far as being "mod friendly", they have been great about the way they treat my car (and it is modded to death).:thumbsup:

Maybe it's because I bought it there.:confused:

Maybe it's because none of the mods caused any of the problems.:confused:

Maybe it's because I am such a great guy :thehand: (lol).

I made it very well known that the service and the way I get treated are going to determine whether I buy another car from there.

trekster
12-28-06, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I never really talked to my service manager at my local dealership before and I'm going to try to be friends with him. Maybe I can convince him.

Koooop
12-29-06, 09:24 AM
Booze and Cigars should be passed out to your service advisors durring the holidays. If you failed to do this don't complain when they crap on you. They provide a service just like a waiter or the postman, so many people have a BS attitude about tipping these guys. It's money well spent.

ewill3rd
12-29-06, 07:38 PM
Kissing up to Service managers and Advisors is all well and good, but don't forget the guys that actually do the work on the car!
;)
Especially if you know the guy that works on it every time you take it in.
:D

PS, I don't smoke or drink but I like electronics and most anything with sugar in it!

Koooop
12-30-06, 12:36 AM
Kissing up to Service managers and Advisors is all well and good, but don't forget the guys that actually do the work on the car!
;)
Especially if you know the guy that works on it every time you take it in.
:D

PS, I don't smoke or drink but I like electronics and most anything with sugar in it!

How about a blunt?

OldRoadDawg
12-30-06, 08:55 AM
. . or serialized pictures of Andrew Jackson framed in green :D