: 1981 Fleetwood Blower Motor

drlowz
12-26-06, 06:28 PM
the blower will not kick on...so I thought it was the motor and purchased a new one...well that wasnt it either....I am getting 12 volts at the source...???any help would be appreciated or steps to poblem solving this problem...

Dennis

FRANKO
12-30-06, 11:59 AM
Does it come ON in the Defrost position?

There is a blower motor speed controller...under the hood, adjacent to the blower area...it has a wire pak hooked up to it and a separate ground wire going to the firewall. Remove ~3 screws, lift UP on the assembly...it has a Big heat sink under the top of it. Replace it(The assembly).

FRANKO

drlowz
12-30-06, 02:53 PM
No defrost or anything.....

The Ape Man
12-30-06, 03:32 PM
Easy 5 minute test: Get a HEAVY piece of wire and jump it from one of the screws on the blower case to a good ground under the hood. If the blower comes on then the controller is most likely cooked. This is not 100% certainty though only about 99%. One rumored cause of controller failure is extra current draw from a worn-out blower motor. I don't have enough info on exactly the current draw should be. Just repeating what I heard. I have personally replaced quite a few of these over the years without changing the blower motor.

drlowz
12-30-06, 06:38 PM
ok, here is what I did...jumped a good ground from the battery to a NEW blower motor and the motor kicked on....so then I went into the car and played with the controls and all that worked.....defrost and so on.....form auto to manual all worked....I guess it is the module bad....my next thing is that it cost 182 from advance autoparts...any one have one laying around?

KA3AX
06-24-12, 03:02 PM
Hey YALL!! :) Really sorry to bring back such an old thread.. but I was reading it because I had the "no blower activity" issue on my 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 6.0L V8 a few hours ago and thought I'd share how I fixed it. Simply took off the small black plastic cover located on top of the controller (pictured below). Under it you will find two small bolts with nuts securing the ground-connector metal piece to somewhere inside of the controller. Unscrewed the nuts and took out that metal piece. It had rust on it. Cleaned off the rust with 220 grit sand paper, put it all back together, and there you go - I now have ground going from the controller to the blower motor! Super easy and didn't have to buy any replacement parts. I'm not sure if it's just my luck or if this is a common cause for absence of ground..

Robin Banx
06-24-12, 07:49 PM
Be careful when trying to remove the ground connector strap from the control module body. Those little pins are about #6 machine thread and if there is any rust on them they will likely snap. As I recall, the pin closest to the connector is the ground pin. Use lots of WD40 before trying to remove the nuts.

Cheers.......R.

The Ape Man
06-24-12, 08:10 PM
Hey YALL!! :) Really sorry to bring back such an old thread.. but I was reading it because I had the "no blower activity" issue on my 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 6.0L V8 a few hours ago and thought I'd share how I fixed it. Simply took off the small black plastic cover located on top of the controller (pictured below). Under it you will find two small bolts with nuts securing the ground-connector metal piece to somewhere inside of the controller. Unscrewed the nuts and took out that metal piece. It had rust on it. Cleaned off the rust with 220 grit sand paper, put it all back together, and there you go - I now have ground going from the controller to the blower motor! Super easy and didn't have to buy any replacement parts. I'm not sure if it's just my luck or if this is a common cause for absence of ground..

3AX de W2VW

Far out. Glad that worked for you :)