: Noisy engine on startup

redwoodsrx
12-26-06, 05:37 PM
We have an 04 SRX Northstar V8 w/36K miles.
With in the last week I've noticed a noise in the engine on cold starts that sounds like hydraulic lifters before they pump up or maybe timing chain before it gets oil pressure. I noticed the noise a while ago after it would sit for a couple days but now if it sits for an hour or so it does it. The engine starts quickly to fast idle and that is when I hear it. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet but want to see if anyone has experienced this. We have a great dealer in our area and they know us by name and where we live so I know they will treat us right but just wanted some insight before I went in.

Thanks,
Mike

Kauai 1
12-26-06, 07:59 PM
My '04 with 26,000 miles does NOT exhibit that start-up noise. While it sounds like a lifter problem, it could be more serious! You are under warranty, so get to the good dealer and have the problem rectified.
Good luck!

syrob@MSN.COM
12-26-06, 09:51 PM
With in the last week I've noticed a noise in the engine on cold starts that sounds like hydraulic lifters before they pump up or maybe timing chain before it gets oil pressure. I noticed the noise a while ago after it would sit for a couple days but now if it sits for an hour or so it does it. The engine starts quickly to fast idle and that is when I hear it. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet but want to see if anyone has experienced this. We have a great dealer in our area and they know us by name and where we live so I know they will treat us right but just wanted some insight before I went in.

Thanks,
Mike

There was some sort of variable valve timing mechanism issue in early 2004, casting sand or other getting in and messing with oil flow, noise on start up etc...

FarEast
12-27-06, 10:50 AM
See if you have proper level in the steering fluid tank. Steering pump is known to make loud noise during warm up if air gets in.

Smokin' SRX
12-27-06, 11:34 AM

Thanks,
Mike

Try a different oil filter!! Cheap oil filters (now who would use those????) have no "check valve" and oil drains completely out of filter when auto sits for 20 minutes or so!!! Either bring your own filter to shop, try a different shop, or do it yourself! But explain the prob and insist on a Delco filter or bring your own Fram or other top brand! Quick,easy, cheap experiment that once helped me!!! Also.......make sure all shops are using SYNTEC oil as mandated! Now they wouldn't use reg oil and pocket the difference, would they??:sneaky:

Srevi
01-09-07, 10:24 AM
had the same issue at about the same mileage. It became progressively worse and finally it started making noise on deceleration. Into the shop and the root casue (according to Dealer) was a frozen timing chain tensioner piston. five days to replace chain, tensioner, piston, oil pump etc. Will let you know when I pick up today how it went.

Srevi
01-11-07, 09:47 AM
Ok They repaired the V6 as mentioned above. Repair ticket listed three timing chains, Tensioner piston, two sprockets, oil pump and a slew of gaskets. The dealer kept it another day after initial repairs due to rough running. He explained that after the initial repair that the timing chain was off (im assuming degrees alignment) by one tooth which was a known issue and documented in a earlier TSB that the tech missed.

Can say that the rough start and deceleration noises are all gone and its running very well so far. Hope this helps.:suspect: