: Diff cooler

bjohnso0
12-26-06, 04:33 PM
I was thinking back to a few cars that I helped build to run at Willow Springs and we had diff overheating issues with them until coolers were installed. I figured since the V diff holds less than two quarts of fluid that the cooler and the added amount of fluid might help it live a little longer. I did the install in a couple of evenings this weekend. The only hard part was making the fittings for the drain and fill plugs so that feed and return lines could be attached. I mounted the pump and a filter housing in the trunk and the cooler under the trunk all plumbed with -06 AN braided line. I took a couple of pics when I was almost finished with the install.

nikon
12-26-06, 04:56 PM
wow, pretty cool, hows the pump hooked up?? ignition or acc. switch???...and did you hook up a temp gauge in-line to see if did indeed help?

c5racr1
12-26-06, 06:05 PM
nice

bjohnso0
12-26-06, 06:10 PM
I hooked the pump up through a relay on ignition hot. The temp gauge was ordered this morning from Summit, overnight delivery. I'm curious what the actual running temp will be.

c5racr1
12-26-06, 06:12 PM
very hot!

HiTechRV
12-26-06, 06:50 PM
Slick install. Might be nice to monitor temp and or pressure, especially if a road hazard punctured the cooler. The rest of the install looks bullet proof.

Chef
12-26-06, 07:29 PM
Who's cooler is it or did you fab it?

Well done!

The Tony Show
12-26-06, 07:31 PM
My spider sense is tingling: Business opportunity for Bjohnso0!

:D

calicadi
12-26-06, 10:00 PM
If someone has time to research content, price, and availability, I located these part numbers for performance parts. I wonder what's in the "factory" diff cooler kit??? I'll bet dealers would turn up nada ('cept Lindsay maybe). Maybe Phoenix Performance?

No part number given GM Cooling Kit
PN 25534461 Engine Oil Cooler Kit
PN 25534462 Transmission Cooler Kit
PN 25534463 Rear Differential Cooler Kit
PN 25534464 Brake Duct Extension (thru Fog light opening)
PN 25534465 High Capacity Radiator Kit
PN 25534466 Fuel Tank Sender Kit

kanned
12-27-06, 01:13 AM
These kits probably will work on the V's also..

http://www.mackinindustries.com/md/arc/diff.missionoilc.html

http://www.mackinindustries.com/md/arc/oilcooleroilcool.html

I've had their stuff in previous cars... very well made..

bjohnso0
12-27-06, 07:34 PM
I fabbed this kit from some items that I have collected for other project cars. The cooler is a tranny cooler for a Ford(sorry for the 4 letter word) motorhome chassis, the pump was purchased for a pre-luber for a turbo on a small block that I was building, and the other parts were bought at my local hot rod shop. I would love to put together a kit for these cars, but it would still take someone with some know how and someone who isn't afraid of using a hole saw on their on their trunk floor. Let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing a kit and I'll try to get some numbers together for cost. I know I can do it cheaper than most of the companies that make universal kits. Sorry I don't have prices for what I spent, but this was a spare parts put together out of my garage parts "parts department".

roadracerx72
12-27-06, 08:16 PM
You really need to come over and do that to my car...

bjohnso0
12-28-06, 02:24 PM
Let's get together some time and make a blast through Bouquet Canyon or Angeles Crest! I'm changing jobs on the 5th of January so I'm a little busy getting some things in order. After that we'll get together and see about an install on your car.

lunarx
12-28-06, 10:41 PM
Let's get together some time and make a blast through Bouquet Canyon or Angeles Crest! I'm changing jobs on the 5th of January so I'm a little busy getting some things in order. After that we'll get together and see about an install on your car.
If you guys do put a run together, drop me a PM as I may want to join the fun.

trekster
12-28-06, 11:41 PM
If you guys do put a run together, drop me a PM as I may want to join the fun.
seconded

roadracerx72
12-29-06, 08:17 AM

Sounds like a plan. I work at night and I'm only available in the afternoons and evening. Let me know what you can work out after the 5th. Sounds like we may have company too!:lildevil:

HiTechRV
12-29-06, 09:38 AM
This does sound like a good idea - give that the diff redesign specifically has a feature to cool the fluid more now. I'd love to see a temp study on differential fluid with varioous manuvers. Anyone know if the fluid is being degraded by heat over time?

C66 Racing
01-08-07, 12:14 AM
That looks like a really nice install. I did my own oil cooler install on my 02 Z06 and in the end spent almost as much as one of the many good kits that were out for the Vette. I haven't looked into kits like that for the V yet, but it would be nice as figuring out exactly what fittings and lines to buy was a pain for me to get right.

Today's high performance cars are really tough on diffs. Small fluid volumes due to tight packaging, low cooling air flow, heat uptake from exhaust pipes, etc. AMSOIL considers modern high performance passenger car gear lubes to be more severe duty than open road heavy duty trucking. Installing a cooler would certainly help... though for a performance car there is the added trade-off of the extra weight the cooler system brings.

bjohnso0
01-11-07, 08:45 PM
I got the temp gauge hooked up and everything is working like a champ. The weather has been very cold out here for the last couple of weeks, about 20 degrees at night, so the temps are a little low. This doesn't bother me because the temps here in the summer are 100 to 110 consistently.

The diff runs about 130 in town, 150 to 155 on the freeway, and a good canyon pounding put it at about 165. Again that is with the temps from 20 to 50 degrees outside. I disabled the pump and ran the car on the freeway for a while and the diff go above 190 degrees in about 30 minutes. Looks like it's doing what it should.

I have a rough cost for me to put a kit together for this, about $550 to $600, and at that price I would only make about $100 per kit. The install is the tricky part, it would take someone with some good experience to do it right. You guys let me know if anyone is interested in me putting a kit together.

HiTechRV
01-11-07, 10:55 PM
This is really valuable info. The GM upgraded diff has changes to drop the fluid temp so I suspect there is something to keeping it cool. Do you ever do side step launches? I wonder if they and power shifts spike the temps. Or wheel hop launches.

TrazzNJ
01-11-07, 11:19 PM
I have access to Winston Cup rear end pumps and brackets. I think I will get one and see how hard it would be to mount. They are nothing more than a single stage pump driven off of the drive shaft. I thinkk it might be easier than the electric pump, and maybe more reliable.JMO

bjohnso0
01-12-07, 01:22 AM
I don't do a lot of drag type launches, but with a limited slip diff the temps will go up significantly when you are making sharp turns continuously. That is why I tried a run through Bouquet Canyon, local canyon twisties.

c5racr1
05-25-07, 05:21 PM
any updates on this project, I think I am about to jump in!

bjohnso0
08-08-07, 06:37 PM
I was checking on my posts and noticed a reply to this one that I never noticed. Still interested? If so, my cooler combo has proven reliable for several months, going on a year. Let me know.

AAIIIC
08-20-09, 03:21 AM
This is an ancient thread, but I'm curious if you still have pics of the diff cooler setup you put together, bjohnso0?