: Speaker Size? 93-96 Fleetwood

SupaFly
12-26-06, 03:32 PM
Hi guys...

I've been trying to get a straight answer for the speaker sizes in my car and I haven't been able to get any. I think 6x9 in the back but even then I'm not sure.

help! I want speakers!

90Brougham350
12-26-06, 04:27 PM
Hey SupaFly, haven't seen you around here for a while! I know the rears are 6x9's, not sure about the front speakers, I think they're different than the 80-92's.

N0DIH
12-26-06, 04:49 PM
I was kinda wondering myself. I would guess either a 6in round or at least a 6in can fit, and then it might be a 4x6 which GM for some reason is fond of.

I am fairly happy with my stock speakers (these are the factory higher end versions), as I do audio mixing in a studio weekly and can attest to why I like the studio like flat response. If what you are listening to is mixed properly (as I control it, I CAN make it how I want!) you play it flat and it actually sounds the best. Then you can crank it even more!!

I listened to a few speakers at BestBuy last week and most I didn't care for. They just weren't a good flat response with a high sensitivity (dB SPL >98). Most are in the low 90's to high 80's. This the speaker sensitivity. For every 3dB is double/half the power. So a 101 dB speaker (I have a set from Jensen) will make the same sound with half the power of a speaker that has 98 dB. Hard to explain (I don't remember all what I used to either!).

Tough to find good speakers that I like. And that match GM's factory impedance.

bigbluebrougham
12-26-06, 04:58 PM
I actually took mine out to see what they were. The back ones are 6in round in what looks to be a 6x9 frame. Only GM... The fronts on top of the door are one inch tweets and the bottoms I have not taken off yet (I think they are four inch mids, but don't quote me on that)...hope this helps.

N0DIH
12-26-06, 09:54 PM
I'll have to look at mine, the bass isn't bad at all, if that is a 6in, then it is tuned well. Considering my Bose AM5's are 6in too, I can see good sound from a well tuned system

DPGC23
12-26-06, 11:01 PM
Man, I Been Having Problems Findin A Rplacment For My Tweeter. I Searched And Serched,
Haha I Ran A Quick Wire From The Original Speaker Connection To An Outside Tweeter That I Have Laying On The Door For Now

Dpgc23

N0DIH
12-27-06, 01:35 AM
Carguy16 is parting out a FW, maybe you can hook up with him. Send him a PM

SupaFly
12-27-06, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies...AH! But I still don't have the answer :ill: I'm gonna pm that Carguy now and see what he says.

BCs71
12-27-06, 01:37 PM
Enclosure for rear deck speakers is similar to 6x9 but actually houses a round speaker (woofer basically). I have never measured mine but most people say it is 6" round. I could have sworn my factory service manual says this is 8" round.

Front door speakers are 4" or 4.25". I will consult the FSM and let you know what it says.

bigbluebrougham
12-27-06, 01:54 PM
I didn't know it says what size the speakers are in the FSM. I am going to look too! I just got my FSM Volumes on and two in the mail. Man are those better than any service manual I have had before.

SupaFly
12-28-06, 07:55 AM
Carguy says there are most likely 4's in the front. If you can confirm with the service manual that would be even better. :halo:

N0DIH
12-29-06, 02:17 AM
From my 94 FSM, page 9A-2:

"The speaker system has six speakers. There are two 4 ohm 13.3cm (5.25 inch) front side door speaker assemblies with a 4 ohm 1.9cm (0.75 inch) round tweeter speaker located inside each handle bezel assembly. There are also two 10 ohm 20.3 cm (8 inch) round radio rear speaker assemblies located on the rear shelf of the vehicle.

High Performance extended range speakers are standard with both radio options on rear speaker assemblies only."

SupaFly
12-29-06, 07:45 AM
Oh!!! Thank you! :)