: Funky Radio Display

c5 rv
12-26-06, 07:19 AM
Has anyone seen their radio display reset and then display blank time while driving? While playing CDs on the trip home yesterday, on three occasions I noticed that the display went blank, then showed the power-up message, and then displayed the time with no numbers. If I played with the controls, or not, the time would reappear in a couple minutes. The CD kept playing through all of this. I noticed it happened once when I flashed my high beams, but I couldn't force it to occur by doing it again. It looks like I'll keep my eye on it and if it can be made repeatable, I'll take it to the dealer.

MortnCyn
12-26-06, 07:36 AM
We had the problem with our '04. The DIC (aka radio) probably needs to be replaced. Notes I had saved: Trip/Odometer/Time/Fuel Used Displays Reset by Themselves, Six Disc CD Changer Randomly Shuffles/Reinitializes, Radio may Display Lines with No Alphanumeric Characters, XM/RSE Volume Lower than Intern #05-08-44-002 - (Jan 31, 2005)
Trip Odometer, Timer, or Fuel Used Displays Reset By Themselves, Six Disc CD Changer May Randomly Shuffle or Reinitialize, Radio May Display Lines With No Alphanumeric Characters, XM/RSE Volume is Lower Than Internal (AM/FM/CD) Sources (Replace Radio)
2004-2005 Cadillac CTS, SRX with Level 1 and 1.5 Radios (RPOs U2R, U2S)
Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:
The Driver Information Center (DIC) trip odometer, timer or fuel used displays may intermittently reset to zero by themselves.
The six disc CD changer may randomly shuffle or reinitialize by itself.
The radio may display lines with no alphanumeric characters.
The audio volume of external sources, XM Radio and Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE), is lower than the radio internal sources, AM/FM/CD.
Cause
This condition may be caused by software anomalies.

c5 rv
12-26-06, 08:37 AM
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking, too. In doing a search of the CTS & SRX forums there are a rash of reported radio problems.

Cadboy425
12-30-06, 06:37 PM
Yeah this happened to mine when it was a few months old after they "reprogrammed" it its been fine. Its only happened every once in a blue moon since.

ewill3rd
12-31-06, 08:57 AM
That bulletin does not apply to an '06.
It may be the same solution, those radios are pretty independent.
The only trick is going to be getting the dealer to duplicate it or trust what you tell them. If you have someone riding with you, try to document it with a video phone or camera and show it to them.

These radios have "set up procedures" in the field but are not reprogrammable. Not sure what they did to yours cadboy.