: 2 Boston Subs, Problem

stevebuick23
12-25-06, 06:33 PM
Well, I got my two 8" Boston RS' for christmas. I just wanted something to add a little bass to my system.

So, I was using a 4 channel amp, bridged into a 2 channels. I have the subs wired seperatly. Now, my problem is that I don't get almost ANY volume out of the subs. I used the speaker level to RCA input converter to take the signal going to the rear speakers, and convert it to the RCA level signal to input into the amp.

I bypassed the bose amps, and I get VERY VERY VERY minimal volume out of the subs. I tried taking the amplified signal out of the bose amps, and it sounds pretty good. But, my question is; why does it need the amplified signal from my bose amps to output any sound from the subs?

I'm not sure whether or not the amp I'm using is any good (some older pyramid amplifier). Fiddling around with the cross over and bridged settings don't seem to change anything.

I've searched, but I don't think I'm searching for the right thing. I can barely find anything.

the727kid
12-25-06, 07:14 PM
Turn up the gains?

stevebuick23
12-25-06, 07:35 PM
Turn up the gains?

Its all the way up.

the727kid
12-25-06, 08:02 PM
On the amp and the LOC?

stevebuick23
12-25-06, 08:41 PM
both

the727kid
12-25-06, 09:04 PM
Unplug the LOC RCAs and plug in some RCAs from a cd player or ipod and see if it plays normal.

stevebuick23
12-25-06, 11:13 PM
Unplug the LOC RCAs and plug in some RCAs from a cd player or ipod and see if it plays normal.

thats a good idea! I will have to look for something to get my little MP3 player hooked up with RCA's.

stevebuick23
12-25-06, 11:39 PM
Here are a couple pictures of the subs. I'm recovering my box as we speak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Sexpert/10s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Sexpert/side-1.jpg

weister42
12-26-06, 12:56 AM
Does the cone move at all? If not then either your amp is bad or just not getting enough voltage in the preamp section. Look at your high to low level converter and see if there are gain controls on it. If your subs do move a lot but makes no bass then it's out of phase, make sure the positive and negative speaker wires all match.

stevebuick23
12-26-06, 12:13 PM
the speaker doesn't move. I just tried it on a CD player, and it plays fine. So I'm assuming I'll have to splice into the speaker inputs before the preamp box.

the727kid
12-26-06, 12:48 PM
Haha don't ya love that trick? Splice it before and you should be good then. At least you know your amp is good :).

stevebuick23
12-26-06, 01:02 PM
Haha don't ya love that trick? Splice it before and you should be good then. At least you know your amp is good :).

I'm assuming its because the preamp thing converts the signal coming from the head to a low level signal that goes to the factory bose amps?

the727kid
12-26-06, 02:41 PM
Honestly I don't know because by boys Bose set up is spliced right at the sub wires.

stevebuick23
12-27-06, 01:51 PM
I've figured out my problem. I was trying to convert the low level signal already coming from the reciever, effectivly making the signal nearly non-existant. By using the hi-low converter (which isn't needed at all if you want to just splice into the lines themselves before the factory amp) it was just trying to do something totally un-necessary. The signal coming out of head is already in "rca" format, or low level, thus you can just splice on some RCA ends to that.

If this isn't your gig, what you can do is simply run some wire from the speaker terminals, after the factory bose amps, and run it through your hi-low converter. Then run it to your amplifier, which really means that you're converting the signal twice, thus distorting sound quality.

PS, I bought a $600 coustics amp for $200. I'm pretty damn stoked about that. :)

RobDeville
12-27-06, 02:31 PM
Glad you got it worked out..

RobDeville
12-27-06, 02:32 PM
BTW, Congrats on the deal.

stevebuick23
12-27-06, 05:06 PM
Thanks man. Its a pretty sweet amp, I hooked it up and it pounds like crazy now. I'm very impressed. Coustic AMP800S