: Bluetooth Update - SUCCESS!!!

srracer
12-23-06, 11:47 PM
It works!!!!!

I'm stoked..

I put some finishing touches on the code after moving the circuitry off the solderless-breadboards and soldering it to the single test board. Hooked everything up and it worked on the first shot.

The best part? I was able to use the factory Mic! And it works pretty good, too...

So the next steps will be to figure out the best place to install the motorola module and run the power wiring and then install the motorola control buttons in the dash area. I'm not super fond of the colors that Motorola chose to use, but oh well.

What's cool about this is that at least with my current circuit, there will be a code scanner installed all the time... I can just plug the laptop into the serial port in the trunk and get any DTCs or even sensor readings... though I suppose the trunk wouldn't be so convenient for those.

I'll post pictures when its all installed. As far as how it works, I'm happy to report that the operation is essentially just like using the Onstar calling feature, except that it goes through the Motorola bluetooth unit instead of the Onstar unit. So the Motorola voice commands, etc. all apply. But the radio mutes (or pauses a CD) and the little 'Onstar' logo comes up and then you can do whatever you want with the bluetooth. Of course, this is only a few minutes of runtime checking things out, so once I install it all I report on how good it is while driving and stuff... It may turn out that the OEM mic is not as good, but I tried doing some tests by calling the house phone from the car and cranking the radio to see how well it was filtering out the noise with each mic, and the factory mic seemed to work just as well.

Should be fun when its all finished!
-Chris

GOTTSPD
12-23-06, 11:55 PM
That's awesome! Look forward to a more detailed report! Nice work Chris!!!!!!

cts-v ls6
12-24-06, 08:13 AM
Way to go, Chris! Merry Christmas.

Jack

Black Sunshine
12-25-06, 06:24 AM
Chris, great work. Thanks for keeping us updated.

What's the model # on the Motorola unit?

Now go have some breakfast (brain food) and open your presents then get right back to work!;)

rand49er
12-25-06, 06:48 AM
Good work, Chris!!! :thumbsup:

mostoyzwinz
12-25-06, 08:54 PM
Udaman

srracer
12-25-06, 11:09 PM
Chris, great work. Thanks for keeping us updated.

What's the model # on the Motorola unit?

Now go have some breakfast (brain food) and open your presents then get right back to work!;)

It's the IHF-1000. I found it for $189. I'm going to get my proto and Moto unit fully installed and then I'll post an update and entertain ideas mass producing...but first, I've got to pay for the vendor's subscription...

And thanks everybody for the nice words. It's definitely gratifying to have a working unit. :)

-Chris

schill32
12-27-06, 08:34 AM
GREAT news. I can't wait till you get to play with it more. Be sure to contact me when it's all done and ready!

-Tim

chrisalteregokelley@
01-15-07, 12:33 AM
creativity at its finest. keep up the great work.
Think you can modify the nav system so that we can play dvds while driving AND control them?

kueh
01-16-07, 12:36 AM
Any new updates on the Bluetooth? I wanna get rid of my Verizon cell phone, and I wish to use the bluetooth in my CTS-V.

CopperHead
01-16-07, 12:12 PM
I had Car Toys add a bluetooth device to my CTS-V. It mutes the stereo and plays the call thru the car speakers. It has a small mic in the roof. They mounted the unit in the ash tray/storage area just under the radio. Works fine.

MescalVto
01-17-07, 01:14 PM
Hmmm . . . Check this out:

http://www.bluetouch.de/HTMLengl/ystart.html

Looks like a potential FULL FEATURED solution for phones AND I-pod (or other DAP) that may be doable with average skillz . . . no word on pricing or US availability yet though!?

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 01:27 PM
I had Car Toys add a bluetooth device to my CTS-V. It mutes the stereo and plays the call thru the car speakers. It has a small mic in the roof. They mounted the unit in the ash tray/storage area just under the radio. Works fine.

How much did that run you ... and do you know who makes the kit?

It's the IHF-1000. I found it for $189. I'm going to get my proto and Moto unit fully installed and then I'll post an update and entertain ideas mass producing...but first, I've got to pay for the vendor's subscription...

And thanks everybody for the nice words. It's definitely gratifying to have a working unit.

-Chris

any updates? pictures?

i'm very interested in making this happen in my car soon

srracer
01-17-07, 02:07 PM
My bluetooth is working great, but it seems like I may have been beaten to the punch commercially so I may not pursue trying to make these in bulk. Reed had some of the commercial units available. If he is out, I would consider hand building a few units for those who really want this functionality now, but the pricing would be in the $200 range, and that's on top of buying the motorola unit.

Many of you may recall that I was able to use the Onstar microphone. It worked very well when the car was quiet, but when the noise picked up, the motorola apparently could not do a good job with the noise cancellation on the Onstar microphone, so I did go ahead and install the motorola mic.

Some pictures of my installation are here:
http://www.slideruleracing.com/btinstall/

-Chris

srracer
01-17-07, 02:15 PM
creativity at its finest. keep up the great work.
Think you can modify the nav system so that we can play dvds while driving AND control them?

Hi Christian,

Reed and I have been talking about what kinds of things I could build into a 'black box' that would do things in the car that can be controlled/communicated by the serial bus... things like:

- Turn off TC when the car is started
- Turn on the fog lights when the car is started
- Output for a shift light
- Output the DTCs via a flashing LED (like the good 'ol days!)

Your question did come up... and in all likelyhood - its probably possible. THe only problem is that my 'hacking' isn't all that elegant. I can snoop the codes on the bus and now I've made some circuitry that lets me play those codes that I learn back to the bus. That's how I got the bluetooth to work - I just had to figure out what codes the Onstar box sends to the bus and then replicate those for bluetooth (in addition to routing the audio, of course). So for the most part, me trying to do something that I can't already do by pressing some other buttons is probably beyond my capabilities, unless somebody can find the "GM CTS-V VPW BUS MESSAGE MANUAL". :)

With that, I could do everything a Tech 2 could do, I would imagine, though I don't think I have the programming skills to make that work.

In any case, shutting off the safety lockout is probably not likely, though I could see what I could figure out. Believe me, I'd LOVE to have a NAV system that I could enter a stupid address while I'm rolling along a 2 mph in stop and go!

-Chris

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 02:26 PM
sorry i'm new around these parts...

who's reed?

i'd like to make this happen when i put my V in the shop for the bra and exhaust

and if its commercially available which kit would you be referring to? the one posted on this page is a gizmo i don't want hanging around in the cab, i like it clean like it comes stock

srracer
01-17-07, 02:39 PM
Hmmm . . . Check this out:

http://www.bluetouch.de/HTMLengl/ystart.html

Looks like a potential FULL FEATURED solution for phones AND I-pod (or other DAP) that may be doable with average skillz . . . no word on pricing or US availability yet though!?

Mescal,

You could use that - but you still need a unit that sends the correct Onstar messages to the bus. That's the 'missing link' for the V.

-Chris

srracer
01-17-07, 02:41 PM
sorry i'm new around these parts...

who's reed?

CTS-VETTE, I think?

and if its commercially available which kit would you be referring to? the one posted on this page is a gizmo i don't want hanging around in the cab, i like it clean like it comes stock

Reed was working with Radios and More for the commercial units that he has. Apparently Car Toys was also able to procure them.

-Chris

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 02:53 PM
hmmm... damnit...

seems they don't have cartoys near me (wash DC/Northern VA/MD)

If anyone knows the name of the unit i can have a friend in the industry order it for me and probably do the install

CopperHead
01-17-07, 04:16 PM
How much did that run you ... and do you know who makes the kit?

http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3100-lcd

It cost me $400 total. Install is basically take that unit and put it flush in the ash tray/storage unit.

schill32
01-17-07, 04:37 PM
http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3100-lcd

It cost me $400 total. Install is basically take that unit and put it flush in the ash tray/storage unit.

How did they get it to actually mute the radio though when a call comes in? To my understanding at least, that's the part that everybody is having a problem with.

-Tim

CopperHead
01-17-07, 06:16 PM
How did they get it to actually mute the radio though when a call comes in? To my understanding at least, that's the part that everybody is having a problem with.

-Tim

Don't know...they just did. Works fine. They were also installing an amp and subs so everything is working.

srracer
01-17-07, 09:57 PM
Don't know...they just did. Works fine. They were also installing an amp and subs so everything is working.

Ahhh. That's why. Once you take control over the line audio and eliminate the Bose amplifier, you can do a lot of things with standard hardware. But to be clear, this is not a plug and play exercise with the Bose amplifier being used.

-Chris

ctsvett
01-18-07, 12:29 AM
who am I? I am reed...

The first round of Bleutooth kits are out and being tested once I provide diagrams... I hope to have those tomorrow guys...

Its not easy to install, but it works really well once it is installed..

Reed

kueh
01-18-07, 01:36 AM
It's tomorrow already. Where is it? :) Can't wait. Looking to stop paying $9.95 a month for an extra phone line to my OnStar.

RunningOnEMT
01-18-07, 06:49 AM
who am I? I am reed...

The first round of Bleutooth kits are out and being tested once I provide diagrams... I hope to have those tomorrow guys...

Its not easy to install, but it works really well once it is installed..

Reed

how NOT EASY is not easy...i am a complete boob when it comes to car electronics but my friend has installed radios and custom car audio/alarms for years, is it something he could handle?

srracer
01-18-07, 03:32 PM
Checkout my installation photos:
http://www.slideruleracing.com/btinstall

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of routing the microphone wire, but that took less than 30 minutes to pop the map light cover off, run the wire out the front, along the front edge of the headliner and then towards the back seat and down the B pillar.

The hardest part that I think Reed is referring to is the splicing to existing wiring. There are a couple of ways to do it, but I chose to do it at the VCIM (Onstar) box. The #2 VCIM connector has the 3 wires that you need to splice into: Serial bus, and the 2 audio input lines. There is not generic plug that allows you to plug into the end of that connector (yet, anyways) so you have to cut into the wires. I cut the wires off entirely and added a GM weatherpak connector to each side and also to the adpater. Now I can unplug the bluetooth and plug the VCIM back in 20 seconds to return it to stock. I have a picture of my wiring at home that I can post tonight.

-Chris

RunningOnEMT
01-18-07, 03:37 PM
that would be greatly appreciated

i actually got a warning ticket for talking on my cellphone on the way back from picking my V up at lindsay ... so this has moved to the top of my list

schill32
01-18-07, 04:02 PM
Sorry to take this off-topic, but what all is involved with using a different amp? I really want to have this bluetooth in the car and have thought about upgrading the audio systems anyways. I don't want to change out the head unit though as I'd like to keep the navigation and factory look.

-Tim

srracer
01-18-07, 09:07 PM
As promised, here's the picture showing my wiring into the VCIM #2 connector.

http://www.slideruleracing.com/btinstall/IMG_4310.JPG

Other than this and the RAP power off the sunroof wire, there is no other splicing involved.

-Chris

kueh
01-18-07, 11:22 PM
Awesome. Thanks. Got my weekend project planned out. Other than watching the Bears crush the Saints. :)

RunningOnEMT
01-19-07, 08:39 AM
ok so i'm so much of a technophobe i'm thinking how much the cost to fly one of the "uber-geeks" out to do it to my car would be ... lol

thats a compliment btw

C-TX-V
02-13-07, 03:41 PM
As promised, here's the picture showing my wiring into the VCIM #2 connector.

http://www.slideruleracing.com/btinstall/IMG_4310.JPG

Other than this and the RAP power off the sunroof wire, there is no other splicing involved.

-Chris

Chris,
Are you planning on posting the circuit diagram for your black box?

C-TX-V
02-15-07, 04:06 PM
Ttt:)

srracer
02-22-07, 11:52 AM
Sorry for the long delay - I've been off list for a while. I just sent a PM as well.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: the circuit for the black box is not all that complicated - dc power supply, a few transistors/comparator for the serial bus line, a pull up line for the mute line out from the BT unit and a microcontroller with an oscillator crystal.

The more complicated side is all the code I wrote to get the microcontroller to work correctly with the serial bus communications and right now I'm not so interested in throwing it out there because I can't support it effectively (no time).

There are commercial BT units available now, so I'd just suggest purchasing one of those (they were in a different BT thread, IIRC).

-Chris