: Second long road trip

miked
12-23-06, 11:14 PM
Well, we just made our four-day roadtrip from Seattle to Phoenix by way of California ("take I-5 south, hook a left at LA"). The SRX performed like a champ again! My wife and the dog rode in the back seat, and I was the driver.

The SRX continues to impress us, after two years of ownership. It's an easy car to like. Love the XM. This time we hooked up our MP3 player into the RSE as well.

I bought the Cadillac cargo carrier (co-badged Thule) and the utility bars. They added almost no extra noise -- especially with the sunroof cover closed. Mileage also didn't suffer that much. In our last big roadtrip, we average 17-18 mpg. This time we got 16 mpg, and that included today's 85-90 MPH jaunt on I-10 from LA to Phoenix. Continue to love the V8 -- if you're going 70-80, and need some extra distance, just push on the gas, and voom, you're gone.

c5 rv
12-24-06, 08:45 AM
My wife and the dog rode in the back seat, and I was the driver.

Having previously owned a CTS, the rear passengers in the our SRX get really spoiled with the theater seating and plenty of legroom.

dmc22
12-25-06, 01:32 AM
I agree with you. Just got back from a San Francisco to La run on the I-5. The Borla muffler and the cold air system on the v8 really made it want to run. I felt like I was holding the car back. Very impressed with the freeway acceleration. The gas mileage appears to be getting better 18.1 with an average speed between 80 to 90.

c5 rv
12-25-06, 09:05 PM
I have to laugh and the idea of a long road trip with my wife who has a brain injury. I get to pick my torture when driving:

- Play news or music I like and have her constantly try to talk over it and expect me to discuss in detail all kinds of stuff I don't want to deal with when I'm driving.

- Play her music, oldies, and listen to her sing along. However, her brain injury caused her to lose her ability to carry a tune in a bucket - but she doesn't know it.

We spent 4 hours driving to-and-from visiting her family today. It was so much fun. :histeric:

Smokin' SRX
12-27-06, 12:16 PM
I have to laugh and the idea of a long road trip with my wife who has a brain injury. I get to pick my torture when driving:

- Play news or music I like and have her constantly try to talk over it and expect me to discuss in detail all kinds of stuff I don't want to deal with when I'm driving.

- Play her music, oldies, and listen to her sing along. However, her brain injury caused her to lose her ability to carry a tune in a bucket - but she doesn't know it.

We spent 4 hours driving to-and-from visiting her family today. It was so much fun. :histeric:

Glad you had a fun auto to drive! I'm sure you know you can plug her into rear seat audio jacks w/headphones plugged in , where she can listen to something she likes via rear controls, while you control the cd/music up-front! At least owners manual says it works , and my GMC Yukon DOES work that way...........thankfully! (had 3 teenagers home till recently!)

c5 rv
12-27-06, 03:00 PM
Glad you had a fun auto to drive! I'm sure you know you can plug her into rear seat audio jacks w/headphones plugged in , where she can listen to something she likes via rear controls, while you control the cd/music up-front! At least owners manual says it works , and my GMC Yukon DOES work that way...........thankfully! (had 3 teenagers home till recently!)

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. It would probably work with the wireless headphones for the rear entertainment system. However, I'd probably still have to listen to her singing. :shhh:

miked
12-28-06, 01:52 AM
During the road trip my wife listened to an MP3 player in the back via the wireless headphones while I used the XM in front . . . and also we used the MP3 player to pipe music throughout the car as well. Just wished that the 07's had true ipod compatibility as opposed to just an aux-in jack.