: Would a slightly low front end be from shocks, or springs?

Benzilla
12-23-06, 08:14 PM
Hi, so I'm sure you all remember my unresolved ramblings about my '79 CDV's rear being too high. I've come to the realisation that infact the rear is correct, new, bone stock height, yet the front is sitting about 1 1/2" too low. This was caused by the replacement of the rear suspention by a previous owner, with the front being left original. So now I just want it to sit level, right now I have six bags of river pebbles in the trunk just to bring the tail down, but the front must go up to be fixed I guess. So my question is this: would a slightly sagging front end be more likely caused by worn out springs, or shocks? The shocks seem fine, it rides fine, smooth and cushy. So would it be the springs? I need top know because I'm taking it in next week for more work, probably including this.

Don't you just love old cars...

AElayyat
12-23-06, 08:33 PM
I'd say it would be the springs. With worn shocks, the car usually does not sit as low as you describe.

Benzilla
12-23-06, 09:49 PM
yeah, alright. Plus I was thinking, if it was bad shocks, wouldn't it be pretty bouncy?

P.S. sorry if I take a long time to respond, my comp. is messed up again.

yobee
12-24-06, 12:33 PM
the shocks dont affect the height, they only absorb the bumps and such. the springs are the main thing in your suspension, they hold the weight, so if they have been worn that bad they would have the car lower. and if it is a noticable difference i would watch your tires for some camber wear also. good luck man.

Benzilla
12-24-06, 01:28 PM
Thanks, I haven't noticed any camber problems at all. Like I said, it's only about 1.5" lower. Most people seem to think it's level, but I'm really paticular about these things.

So I guess I'm looking for new springs..

N0DIH
12-24-06, 03:30 PM
Front springs aren't too hard to yank out. Might be easier to pull the rear and shorten them and make it ride lower!

Yes, shocks WILL affect ride height. Truth be told. It will. Should it? Yes, with gas shocks, with non gas (rare these days) it won't. With a car that was designed for non gas shocks, a set of gas shocks installed will raise it up some. 1.5 inches? Maybe, my 76 Delta 88 it did at least 2 inches. Over time as the gas settle down they will come back. So if you are working with rear NEW shocks (gas) and front old non gas, you will see the problem you describe.

Toss on new front shocks first. See what it does, drive them 2K miles or so and let them settle down and then see where it rides before you get into springs.

Are the rear new?

Benzilla
12-24-06, 06:22 PM
Ok, well I'm not sure how new the rears are, they were put in by the last owner who knows when. But the rear rides hard, so I'm thinking they might have installed heavy-duty springs, but I haven't looked yet. I'd rather bring the back down than put the front up, I like the slight drop. But any time I ask questions about swapping the rear springs, I get ignored... I was thinking, wouldn't a set of stock Impala SS springs bring the back down about 1.5"? I was just going to have a set of monroe gas-matics put in the front next week, but I don't want to put down the cash and still have it low, since it rides fine already.

Like I said, right now I have six bags of river pebbles in the trunk to make it as low as the front. I like how it looks now, but I thought I might as well have it ride stock height for a little bit at least, so I went to the front.