: Old car smell

90Brougham350
12-23-06, 01:46 PM
I don't know if any of you guys have this problem, but my Brougham doesn't smell great. It's not horrible, and even less so in the Winter, but it just smells old and musty inside. I don't have any water leaks anywhere, I've tried going around the molding and windows with a hose to see any drops, but nothing. I've shampooed the carpets with some of the pet urine smell remover and some Fabuloso mixed in for good smell. The car smells alright for a few days but then the smell is back. I dry the carpets once I'm done shampooing them, I vacuum them out very well and then rub them hard with a towel to generate a little heat from friction to dry them totally. The seats have been de-ordorized as well with the same pet urine smell remover. Am I crazy?

Rick186
12-23-06, 03:07 PM
Can you find one of those "AIR IONIZER" things that plug into the cigar lighter?
At one time you could get them from Radio Shack and they allegedly killed musty smells in the air.
They were intended mostly to kill cigarette smoke but should do well on almost any odor.
Otherwise, you might try buying an OZONE PRODUCING BULB at a hardware store or on line and putting it in a fixture SAFELY inside the car SO IT WON'T SET FIRE TO THE INTERIOR and running an extension cord to it, overnight, for a few days.
That should oxidize any components which are in the air making the musty smell.

creeker
12-23-06, 03:13 PM
I don't know if any of you guys have this problem, but my Brougham doesn't smell great. It's not horrible, and even less so in the Winter, but it just smells old and musty inside. I don't have any water leaks anywhere, I've tried going around the molding and windows with a hose to see any drops, but nothing. I've shampooed the carpets with some of the pet urine smell remover and some Fabuloso mixed in for good smell. The car smells alright for a few days but then the smell is back. I dry the carpets once I'm done shampooing them, I vacuum them out very well and then rub them hard with a towel to generate a little heat from friction to dry them totally. The seats have been de-ordorized as well with the same pet urine smell remover. Am I crazy?

Maybe I'm getting to deep for this problem,but you say it's less in the colder months,this sounds like bacterial growth,bacteria likes warmth to multiply,
like food in the fridge wont go bad,but will if out in a warm room,bacteria needs warmth and moisture to grow. hope this doesn't confuse the issue,it would be great if you could store car for about a week in warm environment.

ShadowLvr400
12-23-06, 05:11 PM
Rubbing alcohol and water, clean all the surfaces. Then wipe it all with a damp cloth. Then treat all the leathers vinyls, etc, with the protectant of your choice. Armor All is the classic. After that, hit the carpets and cloths with Fabreeze.

Hammondsix
12-23-06, 05:55 PM
try spraying lysol into the cabin air intake with blower running (dont overdo it though). then spray lysol inside the car. If that doesn't help; take a chick out for dinner, they usually make the car smell nice.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-23-06, 06:12 PM
Do you have leather seats or velour? If cloth, then the foam may have been penetrated with some foul-smelling substance. Leather doesn't let much in - I find. But think, it can be like cleaning a sponge.

90Brougham350
12-23-06, 07:17 PM
I have leather. Thanks everyone for these ideas, I'm definately gonna try some and see what happens.

JRau
12-23-06, 07:42 PM
Brian,

DON'T use Armour All on your interior!!! :eek: Use only a specific Leather Conditioner designed for automobile leather. I recommend Meguire's. Armour All is solvent based, and should NOT be used for automobiles.

JRau in central Iowa

creeker
12-23-06, 07:53 PM
Brian,

DON'T use Armour All on your interior!!! :eek: Use only a specific Leather Conditioner designed for automobile leather. I recommend Meguire's. Armour All is solvent based, and should NOT be used for automobiles.

JRau in central Iowa

I agree,stay away from armorall products,a friend of mine is a detailer for a g.m. dealer and he said the same thing.

Cogs
12-23-06, 08:01 PM
I agree,stay away from armorall products,a friend of mine is a detailer for a g.m. dealer and he said the same thing.

Yeah, I agree completely. I thought all car guys at least knew this. That stuff is terrible.

lochenjons
12-24-06, 06:31 PM
i think every old cadillac owner goes through this... luckily my 85 doesnt smell bad at all. it smells a little bad when it rains or when it is really sunny. what i usually do, is i leave the windows cracked just a tad when its parked... airs it out and it ends up smelling great.

p.s. try febreeze

Red_October_7000
12-25-06, 12:27 PM
Make sure you can stand the smell of febreeze before you use it. Because it DOES have a smell. When I got my Corvette my mom kept bugging me because she said it smelled like piss. I got my nose down into the (exposed) seat cushion foam and smelt no piss. My dad ended up doing it out with febreeze while we were cleaning it, and instead of not smelling like piss, it smelled of febreeze for about a week. Awful stuff, I can barely tolerate it.

Cadillac Giovanni
12-26-06, 02:59 AM
The previous owners of my Brougham were a couple of brothers, in their mid 60s. When I got that car, it smelled like a bowling alley inside. I'm not complaining, the smell was a mixture of leather and cleaning product and some other enchanting musk. It still retains some of that odor today...

I like having the smell of coffee in the car. I don't drink coffee, but coffee and leather reminds me of being in my grandpa's 83 fleetwood as a kid.