: considering buying a 78 coupe deville

gsherman
12-23-06, 10:28 AM
New to this forum. I'm considering purchasing a 78 Coupe DeVille with less than 80K miles. I haven't looked at it yet, but will be soon.
I'm new to Cadillacs, so I'm looking for some advice on what I should be looking for, what are the red flags that I should stay away from, etc.
BTW, the asking price is $4K. Fair price?

I'm very excited to be possibly getting my first Cadillac, but trying hard not to be overly enthusiastic.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

-Gary

90Brougham350
12-23-06, 11:20 AM
$4000 is a good price for a car that's in very good shape. The 425 motor and TH-400 tranny are a virtually bulletproof combination, so with only 80k on the clock, you should be able to get many thousands more from it, as long as it's been properly maintained. Like any used car, look for the usuals: any rust, tire wear, how underneath looks, any cracks in the glass, how the exhuast sounds (put your hand down there and feel it for uneveness), look over the engine carefully, check the oil color, check the tranny fluid after you take it for a test drive. Check how straight it tracks while driving it; take your hands off the wheel and see if it pulls one way or another, see how well the brakes operate. Obviously the check engine light is a warning, but yeah, all the usuals. Good luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-06, 11:28 AM
^ Yeah, basically what Brian said. The 425/THM400 is a very very reliable combination, and with good power to boot. From what owners have said, you can expect 11-13 MPG city, and 17-18 highway, which honestly, isn't all that bad. It's quite comparable to the newer full size SUV's. But just check all the essentials that you would on any used car and remember that this car is 28 years old and it won't be perfect.

codewize
12-23-06, 11:35 AM
My first Cad was a 78 Coupe'. It's the car that sold me on Cadillac when I was a youngster. And they're correct. I ran mine to 300k + then it was damaged in a flood so I had to retire it. Even at 300k the car ran great almost like new.

If the cars is close to pristine 4k isn't bad.

Benzilla
12-24-06, 06:33 PM
That sounds like a great deal, I can't think of any reason not to go for it. These things last forever, I know a guy with a silver '78 Coupe Deville Phaeton, and it has over 250,000 on it and still going strong as hell. He uses it to tow a boat.