: 2003 Antenna amplifier wire???

84caddy
12-22-06, 02:52 PM
been searching the forums with zero luck...need to find out:

does the 03 escalade have a factory antenna amplifier?

and if so,

what color is the wire in the factory harness?

84caddy
01-02-07, 01:32 PM
ttt !

benamaster
01-02-07, 08:58 PM
I believe the Amplifier is Databus controlled. You could use a PAC Module or you could just use the Sunroof power wire to get the Retained Accessory Power depending on what you need it for.

84caddy
01-09-07, 08:10 PM
thanks for the reply - basically my problem is a Pioneer AVIC with zero AM reception... and brutal FM reception....on other forums they talk about using the wire from the power antenna to power the antenna amp wire in the fact harness. There's about 10 diff applications listed - closest (GM) was the grey wire in the fact harness on a Hummer

my stereo guy has had the head unit out 6 times - changed the GMOS - no luck

I'm going to pass along your info - hopefully it helps!

benamaster
01-09-07, 08:13 PM
I find that strange. I have 2003 ESV also and I used to use a Kenwood DDX8017 and had excellent reception. They need to use an Antenna Adapter to get the GM connector to fit the aftermarket radio.

84caddy
01-09-07, 08:22 PM
as far as I know there's no seperate antenna cable or connector...its in the fact harness - and the GMOS unit we use (the newest out) doesn't power the antenna amp...so people are using the avic's power antenna wire to jump the antenna amp wire

we haven't had it back out (the avic uses a seperate processor - and its mounted up behind the glove box lol) - so before we pull it all out again - I want to be sure what wire we're looking for in the fact harness

I've also found out that Pioneer head units are notoriously bad for radio reception...but bad I can live with (traffic reports) - zero I can't!!

benamaster
01-09-07, 10:19 PM
There is a separate antenna cable. It is black with a silver connector on the end. Its about the same size as a pencil.

84caddy
01-11-07, 05:16 PM
are you serious???

Bose/Onstar??

I'm gonna go see my guy tonight

DLE
01-11-07, 05:40 PM
There is a separate antenna cable. It is black with a silver connector on the end. Its about the same size as a pencil.

That is correct. Behind the dash, there should be a black cable with silver tip on the end. Mine is an '02 Escalade, and it has that. I thought all cars do?

Anyways, I just plug that into my Kenwood DDX8017 and I have perfect reception too. :thumbsup:

It should look similar to this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/davidle10626/2540152092.jpg

Plug this into the back of the Pioneeer headunit and it should be good.

benamaster
01-11-07, 07:48 PM
I think the 2003 uses a smaller antenna cable though so you might need to get an antenna adapter from ANY stereo shop. The 2003 Antenna cable is smaller than the jack on the radio I believe.

bmckee27
01-15-07, 10:48 PM
I had to get an antenna adaptor for my 03 seville with bose

Atreides
05-07-07, 02:53 PM
Old discussion thread, but I have some update to this. On the cables that go to the factory Navigation unit, there is a solid blue wire which is the "antenna power" wire. Having just installed a AVIC-Z2, I my AVIC's antenna wire (also blue) to this, in addition to (of course) connecting the actual coax antenna. Perfectly fine reception as hooked up.