: 69 DeVille Convertible - new owner

MDEnvEngr
12-22-06, 11:11 AM
Folks, so I picked up a Caddy. It is in good condition. The only rust on the body is a little on the rockers behind the rear wheels. All around the front wheels is solid. Top is good. Engine/drvietrain is good.

The car's duty will be summer cruising. Heading up to the Lake in the Adirondacks, out to the Vineyard, etc.

Overall, the car could use a paintjob...but that is a couple of years off. I like it the way it is...I won't be afraid to lean the sand chairs against the car.

I think that the following needs to be done:

The car comes with a new (but uninstalled) carpet. The seats have to come out anyway, so I think that I will get them restuffed and get the split seams resewn. The leather is still good...and it's likely that I will put some sort of seatcover on them so that kids aren't dropping ice cream on the leather. Any source for good seat covers? Any tips on removing the seats?

While everything is out of the car, I'll make sure that all surface rust is taken care of and POR-15'd. I'll clean up the plastic pieces and trim and dash etc. Any tips on how to do this? Any plastic-restorative products better than others? Can the plastic pieces be redyed and come out looking good?

The dash is cracked with a couple of pock marks, etc. I'm thinking of taking it out and getting it reconditioned? Worth it? Send it off to just dashes? Is there some other option I should be considering?

The top is in good shape, but the PO tore out the top liner because it was not looking good. Anyway to replace the top liner? Has anyone done a DIY job there?

The engine is in good shape from what I can see and hear. The AC does not work, and I"m planning on removing the compressor. Thinking of adding electronic ignition. Anything else that I should be thinking of?

Any reference materials I should be getting? The car comes with the owner's manual. Shop manual, body manual? Get them where?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Bob Spooner
East Hampton, CT

gdwriter
12-22-06, 04:39 PM
Thinking of adding electronic ignition. Anything else that I should be thinking of?I put a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition in my '64 Impala 3 1/2 years ago. I believe it was less than $150, and now I don't have to bother with points or dwell or other stuff that I know nothing about. Even if the car has been sitting a while, it usually starts up within 2 or 3 cranks. Well worth doing.

Sorry, I have no knowledge to pass on on your other questions, but thought I'd answer at least one of them. Post pictures when you can. It sounds like a great car.

mharker
12-22-06, 08:36 PM
Well done. Merry Christmas to you! Some pics would be great! I love the 69 convertibles, or "Boss Hoggs" as my buddy and I call them.

I have a 68 sedan deville. It has seen its share of neglect: 9 years sitting from previous owner and I do minimal maintenance each year. But after 100,000 miles she starts EVERY time. Even after months of not running. See how it goes before switching to electronic ignition. Mine is totally stock. You will be in awe when you realize how these cars were built to last. 35+ years is nuthin'.

Also unlike my sedan, your convertible has potential collectibility value so try to keep it original. Unless of course you don't care about such things.

Nice purchase. December specials are great aren't they...

Highway Star
12-22-06, 10:32 PM
Congrats on the ride. As to the seats, soak those bolts (front seat only) with penetrating oil as they can be kinda tough sometimes. Don't want to strip 'em or break them off.

kmagari
02-02-07, 04:12 PM
Sounds good man, I got a 69 Ragtop as well, she needs plenty of TLC and I enjoy every minute I sit in her or cruise around with my 69 NY plates. Even with her rust and little dents people just look when they see her at the light. Loved them when I was ten ("70) still love em 36 years later. Lets exchange info nice to meet you all.

fireman2101
02-03-07, 02:06 PM
congrats on the car. I just got a 70 deville convertible. Mine was sitting in the woods for three years and all it needed was a new starter, plugs, and some fluids to drive it away. Good luck with everything

kmagari
02-13-07, 08:23 AM
In all honesty Im starting to think mine is a 70, it has the tail lights and the crests on the front of each fender BUT it has the 69 corner lights (no yellow reflector in them) I need to visually verify the VIN cause according to the one on the registration it has an 8 in the 6th digit LOL so we see. Post some pics fireman and I will do the same when I get her painted up.

Smooth cruisin!

tye
03-05-07, 04:37 PM
hello
i just purchased the Pertronix ignitor for my 69 deville and i can not get it to start. I started it with the points in right before i removed them, i think that i may have the time way off some how. I checked and i am getting spark at the spark plug wires. I have been stuck on this issue for like two weeks i am ready to just put the points back
can some one please help.

mookdawg312
03-29-08, 07:38 PM
I have a 68 deville convertible and need the same info for resources in the Chicago metro area. I appreciate any info, THANKS.

txpsyindy
03-31-08, 01:20 AM
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your new Caddy. I've had my '69 DVC since December, and I fall in love with it again every day, even though it needs help :)

Let's see some pics of it!

Happy cruising,
Jake