: Rear brake pad installation?

DaveSRX
12-22-06, 07:50 AM
Ok, I've changed the front brake pads on my 04 V8 SRX. Is there any difference in doing the rear? Any additional steps? I am thinking the only diff. should be the parking brake as far as parts...

ewill3rd
12-22-06, 08:36 AM
Changing pads you'll not notice any difference.
The SRX (and most new Cadis) use a "drum in hat" setup for the park brake. The park brake is no longer integrated into the caliper.
Rememer only remove the bottom bolt and swing the caliper up for service.
GM pads come with two new bolts, one for each side with a loctite patch to keep the bolts from coming loose once they are properly torqued.
GM does not recommend reusing the fasteners.

DaveSRX
12-22-06, 09:02 AM
I was hoping that was the case. Thanks!!

robhersch
12-22-06, 01:04 PM
The SRX (and most new Cadis) use a "drum in hat" setup for the park brake. The park brake is no longer integrated into the caliper.
Remember only remove the bottom bolt and swing the caliper up for service.
GM pads come with two new bolts, one for each side with a loctite patch to keep the bolts from coming loose once they are properly torqued.

ewill, thanks for the above on SRX; it brought a similar question to my mind: RE: 1999 Cad Deville Concours w/ rear disk brakes - I found front pad replacement a snap as above, but was unsuccessful in attempt to release the 3-4 tabs on the park brake cable retainer (my shop manual does not address the retainer; Kragen, AutoZone, Pep have no clue) to allow the caliper to swing in order to replace the pads. Appreciate any thoughts, special tools, etc. Thanks, we really appreciate your help on Cads repairs.

ewill3rd
12-23-06, 08:33 AM
rob,

It has been a while since I have done a set of those.
If I remember right I usually just undo the bracket that holds the cable and then let the whole thing kind of flop around while I work on it.
I don't recall specifically what I do but I think if you undo the bracket it gives you enough room to swing it out of the way to do what you need to do.
It's hard to line the bracket back up and get the bolt in.
If that doesn't sound right let me know and I'll grab one off the lot and look at it, but I am not going back to work until Tuesday ;)
Don't forget the tool to turn the pistons back in, those do have the integrated park brake as you indicated.

robhersch
06-13-08, 03:28 AM
Remember only remove the bottom bolt and swing the caliper up for service.

Getting a bit concerned about pad wear on 2005 N*V8 SRX RWD; appears to be ~0.200 lining thickness left, so looking for replacements for all 4 wheels.
Any recommendations??
Wish to go with ceramic; but local parts houses tell me that SRX with 18" wheels (V8) are specified to use semi-metallic and only SRX with 17" (V6) wheels are specified to use ceramic.
Found Raybestos ceramic for SRX (18" wheels) front, but not (18") rear, only semi-metallic rear pads; but both front & rear ceramic are available for SRX 17" wheels.
Who manufacturers GM pads?
Are the brake systems/ pads different sizes for 17" V6 & 18" V8 SRXs??
Why would they be different?

ewill3rd
06-13-08, 07:02 AM
You might be able to ask Luke some of those questions, go to the Lindsay Cadillac area in the Vendors section and copy your questions there. Luke might be able to give you some options.