: Chevy SSR - Any one have/had one?

svassh
12-21-06, 03:54 PM
My father is thinking of getting one, anybody had any experiences good or bad with them?

He wants a Vette but has back and neck issues that preclude that. He wants something sporty but not ordinary. He also likes Allante but can't find a decent one.

nikon
12-21-06, 04:06 PM
My father is thinking of getting one, anybody had any experiences good or bad with them?

He wants a Vette but has back and neck issues that preclude that. He wants something sporty but not ordinary. He also likes Allante but can't find a decent one.

I almost got one, its nice, its different...dont expect to haul anything because the bed has colormatch rails...and as for towing capicity...I think it was 2-2500lbs...so basically a vette is more useful, as for comfort wise...it was comfortable, gauges and stuff were down by where the shifter was....the only thing it had going for it for me was the hard top drop...My boat was on a trailer at the time which is why I almost bought it, but then found out the towing capicity.....my vote is no on the SSR

Kadonny
12-21-06, 04:40 PM
Honestly here? I think that was one of the ugliest vehicles GM has produced in the past 10 years........maybe more.

The Tony Show
12-21-06, 06:11 PM
The '06 with the chrome interior trim option has a neat, hot-rod look to inside. I think they're cool- definitely unique. It's useless as a truck, as the rear wheel wells jut way into the bed making it extremely narrow, but if he's looking for something with a better ride than a 'Vette that'll smoke the rear tires and turn some heads, I say go for it!

OzarksHillbilly
12-21-06, 06:56 PM
I wasn't a fan of the looks of the thing until a friend got an '06 with a two-tone silver and black paint job. Accents the positive aspects of its retro look, to my eye.

Then I got to ride in it and drive it, too. His has the manual transmission (kind of a rare bird, I understand). It was much fun.

Not nearly as solid feeling as our CTS-V, and certainly not as spacious or luxurious. But quite enjoyable -- at least for the 15-minute duration of my experience in it.

Poopie D
12-21-06, 07:21 PM
Honestly here? I think that was one of the ugliest vehicles GM has produced in the past 10 years........maybe more.

Don't forget the Aztec!

ctsvflorida
12-21-06, 07:23 PM
My friend had two, the original one with the auto was a pig and completely horrible! He then got the stick 400hp one and it was almost as horrible! I personally hate it and think it is useless, ugly, etc. You will get many different opinions so he needs to check it out himself, that's all I can say! It looks like it belongs on a Hot Wheels track or like a match box car or truck or whatever that POS is! Just my opinion...you asked!

Razorback_CTS
12-21-06, 08:12 PM
My grandpa, ya my grandpa, had one when they first came out. I wrecked my tahoe a couple of years ago and I drove it for 2 or 3 months. It's pretty fun to drive, and sounds good too. I'm not real big on the look of it but its a nice truck.

HiTechRV
12-21-06, 11:14 PM
I got to try the 5.3 one when they first came out - pass. The later one (was it the 5.7 or 6.0?) was supposed to be a fun ride. The price was getting up there though. I'd be thinking GTO at that price point unless it is too low or he wants a drop top.

Has he tried your V yet???

svassh
12-22-06, 12:00 AM
I got to try the 5.3 one when they first came out - pass. The later one (was it the 5.7 or 6.0?) was supposed to be a fun ride. The price was getting up there though. I'd be thinking GTO at that price point unless it is too low or he wants a drop top.

Has he tried your V yet???

GTO is too low, like the Vette. He likes the V but doesn't want the stick that comes with it. The SSR's are really reasonably priced used.

BLACK_CTSV
12-22-06, 12:17 AM
If you like the looks [or can tolerate them], then it's probably a nice rig. Otherwise, if you're like me - it's heinous!

I'd rather have a Grand Cherokee SRT8 or something similar. Just me, though.

SullenClothing
12-22-06, 01:28 AM
I heard there is not that much head room and they have a roof leaking problem.

commander112
12-22-06, 07:22 AM
What about a Trailblazer SS? 400hp, automatic and useful as a SUV. Plus, even with AWD it still tows 6600lbs. Cool truck for less than $40K.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/

Mark

HiTechRV
12-22-06, 07:34 AM
I have to agree on The Trailblazer SS. It looks and pulls like a truck, goes forward and around corners like a Camaro in the 2 wheel drive one I tried out. I still cannot figure out how they got it to feel so car like.

Also the FWD 5.3 V-8 cars like Gran Prix GXP, Impalla SS...etc might all be good choices. They run 0-60 in the 5's and are easy to get in and out of. If he can keep his foot out of it (cruise is great on level ground) they can get 28-29 mpg in 4 cylinder mode on the highway.

P-Funk
12-22-06, 12:00 PM
Personally, I like the look of the SSR. I've only driven it at the GM Auto Show In Motion thing but it was fun to drive then. Not a bad choice in my opinion but I would say the Trailblazer SS would be a better choice.

BLACK_CTSV
12-22-06, 12:28 PM
What about a Trailblazer SS? 400hp, automatic and useful as a SUV. Plus, even with AWD it still tows 6600lbs. Cool truck for less than $40K.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/

Mark

Agreed! Pretty cool rig.

zozmanCTS-V
12-22-06, 01:09 PM
Buyers interested in a used SSR should make note of a few changes that have occurred since the vehicle began production. For its first year, the Chevrolet SSR came with a 350-hp, 5.7-liter V8 that struggled to get the heavy SSR moving with any authority. The 6.0-liter unit installed in 2005 and beyond is much more suited to the task. Interior assembly quality improved somewhat during the 2005 model year, which also was the first year the six-speed manual transmission became available. (Source: Edmunds.com)

Randy

HiTechRV
12-22-06, 01:34 PM
Wow that first engine was a 5.7??? I had thought it was the v-8 out of the Trailblazer.

svassh
12-22-06, 01:44 PM
Don't care for the Trailblazers looks and the SS model just reeks of Jeep SRT8 humiliation. Besides my mother drives the GMC version of the Trailblazer.

Kwhopper89
12-22-06, 06:11 PM
Buyers interested in a used SSR should make note of a few changes that have occurred since the vehicle began production. For its first year, the Chevrolet SSR came with a 350-hp, 5.7-liter V8 that struggled to get the heavy SSR moving with any authority. The 6.0-liter unit installed in 2005 and beyond is much more suited to the task. Interior assembly quality improved somewhat during the 2005 model year, which also was the first year the six-speed manual transmission became available. (Source: Edmunds.com)

Randy

Hi there - new to this site. I own an SSR and just wated to clear up a couple things. For 03 - 04 the SSR had the 5.3 aluminum engine - in 05 - 06 the 6.0 is the powerplant & a 6-speed option. I have an 03 (wanted a first year release). While the 5.3 isn't a speed demon - it is very responsive. Losts of folks have Superchaged theirs. (Mine is staying stock!)

Mine does NOT leak from the hardtop convertable...

Tows jet skis just fine! Limit is 2500lbs - due to heating issues - not lack of power...

Try to put TWO sets of golf clubs in a 'vette...

Perfect 'bed' for weekend runs - no I don't haul crap in mine (has the full carpet bed and 'strips')

LONG travels are VERY comfortable - 500 to 600 mile drives do not bother my somewhat bad back at all...

5.3 isn't a pig - Chevy does call it a Boulevard Cruiser & thats why I bought it - for sheer speed - the vette is it!

Stock Exhaust note on the 03/04's is better than the 05/06's...

Some roof leaks reported - it is a convert after all...

Head room is not a problem...

Check out www.ssrfanatic.com for bunches of info...

We fanatics have created a pretty neat community - quite a few 'gatherings' - mine is in April in Kingsburg CA - I host a BBQ on a friday - we "display" at a pre-72 car show on Saturday and this year we'll make a Roadster Run to Ragged Point for lunch and a Hwy 1 cruise.

svassh
12-22-06, 06:17 PM
Kwhopper - thanks for the info, just the kind of feedback I was looking for. And welcome to the caddy forums. I'll be sure and check out the SSR site.

CIWS
12-22-06, 06:25 PM
If that's what your Dad wants and has the cash, then he should go for it. His money and his choice for sure.
Personally I think those look nasty and understand why they haven't sold in large numbers despite the engine they now have.

SuperV_Rob
11-28-07, 09:50 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been a member of the SSR forum since 2004. I had a 2004 automatic and still have a 2005 six speed. I honestly love my "V" which is also a 2005 with the same engine as my SSR because I can put four full size human beings in the vehicle and do long trips. I prefer to drive my SSR with the top down of course because I enjoy the unique appearance of this vehicle and will tell you that I have never been in and out of a gas station without some patron (mostly female) stopping me to talk about the truck. It is a blast to drive and has a ton of curb appeal. If your father wants to relive his youth, this is the vehicle for him.

Warm Regards,

Rob

OldRoadDawg
11-28-07, 10:03 PM
If you have a 2005 'V' you might want to open the hood sometime. Unless someone did an engine swap, there should be an LS6 engine in there, not an LS2, as in your "truck". :stirpot:

theloanman219
11-29-07, 12:10 AM
hahaha call out the new guy!

Welcome! You have to be thick skinned to be here.

And you will notice this is a very old thread.

Gene

SuperV_Rob
11-29-07, 08:32 AM
Any time you hang out with the BIG dawgs, you get thick skinned. I was referencing the 400 HP, 395 FT Pounds of torque specifications. I should be more clear in the future.. Thanks for the welcome!