: center armrest

odla
12-21-06, 11:59 AM
I broke my center armrest. has anyone else. Will i have problems at dealer to get it fixed under warrantee? let me know Thanks

rand49er
12-21-06, 12:25 PM
Two years ago, everybody (it seems) was sayin' that ... haven't heard about it in some time now. If they didn't get dealer to replace, many went with a CTS armrest. Goin' to that "mod" is still in the back of my mind for the future.

ta206
12-21-06, 12:30 PM
I replaced my stock center arnrest with a regular CTS armrest and I love it. It cost me less than $100 and it was one of the best things I ever did to that car. That and the CAGS eliminator...

MescalVto
12-21-06, 12:31 PM
Question #1 - is it really "broken"

I thought I had broke mine by putting to much weight on it trying to reach over for something but really all that happend was the screw(s?) had popped out that hold the bracket to the inside - check the FAQ for pictures and instructions on pulling the cover off to allow reinsertion of the offending screw(s) that are rattling around in there!

CTS-V420
12-21-06, 12:33 PM
anyone have pics of their V with the CTS armrest?

BLACK_CTSV
12-21-06, 12:37 PM
Any pics of the CTS armrest? What's the difference?

BLACK_CTSV
12-21-06, 12:37 PM

Doh! You beat me to it :)

kueh
12-21-06, 12:39 PM
I broke mine. Dealer replaced it. I should have asked them to see if they were willing to put the regular CTS armrest in there.

OldRoadDawg
12-21-06, 12:46 PM

Pics and how to do the swap in the FAQ
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/armrest.html

heavypedal
12-21-06, 01:04 PM
CTS-V armrest - leather with white stitch, sits lower than regular CTS armrest so that your shifting can be more violent ;) , it does not have a flip-top storage

Regular CTS Armrest - no white stitch, has flip-top storage, sits higher (because of storage)

Now to kill those damn cup-holders. Has anyone knocked your piping hot coffee while shifting???

v-ape
12-21-06, 01:45 PM
I broke my center armrest. has anyone else. Will i have problems at dealer to get it fixed under warrantee? let me know Thanks

Holy crap! That happened to me this past weekend too. Mine is still connected, it just shakes up and down, like its loose.

I doubt its covered under warranty, since I leaned on mine too hard. :( My fault.

Kadonny
12-21-06, 02:14 PM
[quote=heavypedal
Now to kill those damn cup-holders. Has anyone knocked your piping hot coffee while shifting???[/quote]

Been there, done that a few times.

heavypedal
12-21-06, 02:19 PM
Been there, done that a few times.

Please tell me the cup holders are in a different location in the STS-V.

I now keep water bottles in the hole between the armrest and the seat. It holds it well, but at an angle. Other drinks get the outside position....wife has to hold whatever she is drinking.

zozmanCTS-V
12-21-06, 02:31 PM
Holy crap! That happened to me this past weekend too.

After I bought my 2005 CTS-V, when I lifted up the center arm rest, I discovered that the bottom plastic part was broke. How the hell do you break that without damaging anything else? The CTS-V arm rest comes in three parts--the bottom plastic base, the middle metal skeleton brace, and the top leather pillion. After looking at the damage, I surmise that, on a traffic stop, when the Leo came to talk to the previous owner, the driver must have slammed the arm rest down onto the top of the beer bottle which punctured a round hole into the plastic base. :banghead: Escaping with a warning, the driver never repaired it or didn't know it was broke. My car has the rare grey interior. That part number from Cadillac was difficult to find. Problem is--none of the single components are listed separately--you have to buy the entire arm rest assembly. The CTS-V grey arm rest assembly is P/N 10357841 (list 284.81). You may want to reference that in the frequently asked questions. Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to remove those round covers to the rear of the arm rest fearing I'd break them. I discovered you do not have to remove them if you first pop off the pillion pad, unscrew the four screws, then slide the base forward to the dash, then re-assemble in reverse. If anybody needs a grey leather pillion pad and a metal frame, I have an extra. :yup:

Randy

austin
12-21-06, 03:29 PM
Don't get talked into changing your "V" armrest to a regular cts armrest!! Unless your trying to get your "V", not to look like a "V"...The stitching doesn't even match... IMO.. Not worth it. :)

Kadonny
12-21-06, 03:54 PM
Please tell me the cup holders are in a different location in the STS-V.

Not really. The cup holders are mounted side by side unlike the CTS-V which were mounted sort of staggered side to side and front to back.

The difference is that you don't have to shift with the STS-V :bouncy:

Dean400hp
12-21-06, 04:02 PM
AHHHH, the outside one is a cup holder, the one next to driver is a Skoal can holder, actually holds 3 at one time! if you try puting a bottle in driver cup holder you will hit while shifting. I was helping Cadillac design this and at first they only wanted 1 cup holder, they saw me spit on the floor and said, great idea, chew can holder:worship: that is my claim to fame! oh ya,almost forgot, 2nd cup holder should actually be used as empty coke bottle for spitting into:thumbsup:

OldRoadDawg
12-21-06, 04:17 PM
AHHHH, the outside one is a cup holder, the one next to driver is a Skoal can holder, actually holds 3 at one time! if you try puting a bottle in driver cup holder you will hit while shifting. I was helping Cadillac design this and at first they only wanted 1 cup holder, they saw me spit on the floor and said, great idea, chew can holder:worship: that is my claim to fame! oh ya,almost forgot, 2nd cup holder should actually be used as empty coke bottle for spitting into:thumbsup:

Uh . . no thanks. Sampled my dad's as a kid. :vomit:Nasty!

Black Sunshine
12-21-06, 06:45 PM
Don't get talked into changing your "V" armrest to a regular cts armrest!! Unless your trying to get your "V", not to look like a "V"...The stitching doesn't even match... IMO.. Not worth it. :)

Or you could just run down to your local upholsterer and have them stitch one up for ya and mount it on the CTS cover like I did. You cannot tell it is not stock in my V. I bought my grey CTS console on EBAY for $42 shipped, $30 for the upholstering (incl. $10 tip) and one $9 can of black SEM later I am one happy V owner.

Think I'll canabalize the power outlet out of the grey console and mount it under the arm rest, too.

austin
12-21-06, 10:25 PM
>Or you could just run down to your local upholsterer and have them stitch one up for ya and mount it on the CTS cover like I did. You cannot tell it is not stock in my V.

:postpics:

Tags63
12-21-06, 10:31 PM
Hey!!!

I never broke mine but decided to put in a stock CTS armrest. I like the extra space even though it's just a touch, it makes a big difference to me and its more comfortable with the extra height. It took all of 10 minutes to change.

Paul:xsmile:

Luna.
12-21-06, 10:41 PM

I would strongly disagree here.

The CTS armrest is one of my favorite mods that I did. The V is already lacking for storage room to begin with (i.e. the glove compartment---what glove compartment??) & it sits a shade higher, which I enjoy a great deal.

rand49er
12-22-06, 07:59 AM
Or you could just run down to your local upholsterer and have them stitch one up for ya and mount it on the CTS cover like I did. You cannot tell it is not stock in my V. I bought my grey CTS console on EBAY for $42 shipped, $30 for the upholstering (incl. $10 tip) and one $9 can of black SEM later I am one happy V owner.

Think I'll canabalize the power outlet out of the grey console and mount it under the arm rest, too.I agree with austin: PICS PLEASE !!!

Also, I understand what both austin and luna are saying. The stitching does look a bit out of place in the V (which, by the way, has kept me from making the change), but the design/shape has some advantages.

Hey, Black, you'd do us an immense favor by sharing with us what you have there by posting pics so we can make a better judgment. It certainly sounds great, and the pricing you're showing looks REALLY good! :yup:

Black Sunshine
12-22-06, 08:26 AM
Ok. Here's a pretty good picture.

http://wallpapers.duble.com/1/Bikini/Bikini%20Girl/24.jpg

Merry Christmas!!!

Black Sunshine
12-22-06, 08:35 AM
Hell, guys. I didn't even bother taking one pic of the process after reading the faq writeup.

I still haven't had time to screw the lid back on. Here's a couple. For $20 the stitching ain't all that bad and the grain/color of the materials are almost an exact match. They had eight different samples I had to choose from. I will pull the cover one last time to add a lil strategic padding, but overall? It'll do until the new interior goes in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/VArmRest12_22_06Small111.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/VArmRest12_22_06Small122.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/VArmRest12_22_06Small117.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/VArmRest12_22_06Small114.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/VArmRest12_22_06Small123.jpg

rand49er
12-22-06, 08:40 AM
Ok. Here's a pretty good picture.

http://wallpapers.duble.com/1/Bikini/Bikini%20Girl/24.jpg

Merry Christmas!!!Umm ... where do I rest my arm? Nice buttons, though. :D

rand49er
12-22-06, 08:44 AM
Whoa, Gene, that looks great! So, does the armrest. Do you think your source(s) would be interested in doing more?

atdeneve
12-22-06, 08:50 AM
I'd have to agree. That may look just about right in my CTS-V. Certainly'd trade in my V armrest. And damn sure as hell know what I'd store in that there boo-tay. Hyuk-hyuk. Be a doll and hold this for me. And while you're at it, give it a little... Woh, woh there sonny boi! Eeezee! Eezee with that.

Dude, take that down. It's too early on in the day for that kinda imagery! People got's to get shit done, you know! Making our thoughts wander an ish! Damn, man!

Black Sunshine
12-22-06, 09:14 AM
The image issue is your problem. Definitely not mine cause ain't no time a bad time to look at a beautiful woman.

The locals'll do those covers all day long. But, man please, you can get any local upholsterer to do this for you. They'll probably have even more materials to choose from than this lil shop down here in Moultrie. We live in a fairly small town and have five upholstery shops!

The only "trick" to doing this lil job was being sure not to break any mounting tabs during disassembly or not overspraying the "textured" plastic parts.

My new arm rest compartment done got broke in.:lildevil:

Black Sunshine
12-22-06, 09:17 AM
Umm ... where do I rest my arm? Nice buttons, though. :D

You rest your arms on top of her head, dummy.:bigroll: AND at least you shouldn't have to worry bout the covering getting rubbed off those buttons.

MLV
12-24-06, 09:14 PM
I had mine replaced under warranty last week; no questions about how I broke it. I would take it to the dealer and see what they will do. If it broke under normal use, they should cover it.

nxlr8
12-25-06, 12:09 AM
When I bought my car, the armrest had something rolling around inside... I can only conclude it was a screw... anywho...they replaced under warranty... I never bothered to ask if they could replace it with the CTS one though...