: I Think I found my leak (Burning Oil Smell Cont.)

codewize
12-21-06, 10:33 AM
I figured after a couple days of no response, the thread that this was in had lost it's luster so I'll start a new one.

Ok folks, I knew if I waited long enough there would have to be evidence somewhere. The smell has been getting worse and today I smelled it outside the car for the first time so I decided to take another look.

The left rear corner of the oil pan is wet. That would be the corner on the drivers side towards the back of the car. I tried to look above that and I think it's wet above the oil pan also. I can't be 100% positive. What's up there that could be leaking?

Most of the oil is right where the transaxile brace is. So what am I looking at here?

Ranger
12-21-06, 04:13 PM
Halfcase or cam cover would be my guess.

codewize
12-21-06, 04:41 PM
Definitely not the cam cover. I reached back from the top and felt all along there. That's dry.

So If it's not the oil pan we're thinking half-case. What's the chances it's something like the rear main seal?

Ranger
12-21-06, 08:31 PM
Not sure. I suppose it is possible. Might want to try some dye if you can't find it.

dp102288
12-21-06, 09:27 PM
^^ They make a dye for oil too? Never heard of that.

But that probably would be the best thing. With a uv light or something, should be easy to find (if that is how oil dye works).

codewize
12-21-06, 09:34 PM
Well the dye isn't the problem. The problem is that I can't see anything above the oil pan. Once again I have got get the car on a lift with lots of lighting and get a good look. There's not really any room to look beyond that point, at least not well.

There's no other oil or anything on the engine so it'll be easy to spot, once i can see up there. I don't know maybe a dye is the answer.

I was hoping not to hear half-case but I guess that's really the only thing up there. Anyone know what dealers are charging to do these things?

Ranger
12-22-06, 01:06 AM
Halfcase reseal is expensive as the drivetrain has to be dropped. $2000 at least. For that money you could live with a leak.

codewize
12-22-06, 09:25 AM
Well that's just it. The cars only got 40k on it, I have 2 years to go on the loan and the leak is only going to get worse. So I don't know if I can live with it. That depends on how bad it gets over the next 40k/2 years. I looked it up on AllData and the book only calls for 3 hrs after the engine which is 10.5 hrs for remove and replace

Halfcase reseal is expensive as the drivetrain has to be dropped. $2000 at least. For that money you could live with a leak.

dp102288
12-22-06, 12:01 PM
the book only calls for 3 hrs after the engine which is 10.5 hrs for remove and replace

^^ That's killer right there. :(

clarkz71
12-22-06, 04:06 PM
I would clean the engine top to bottom, then take a short drive and recheck it.

jonrodman
01-02-07, 10:02 PM
Hello,
Mine has been leaking since before I bought it. I sometimes smell a little oil smoke. I have driven over 60k miles with it. The car had around 110,000 miles when I bought it. I don't know how long it was leaking prior...

The leak does not seem to be getting any worse. I add a quart of oil after about 4000 miles.

Jon

codewize
01-03-07, 12:09 AM
Thanks. That does make me feel a little better