: Battery Question/Problem.....

TheCaddyKidd
12-21-06, 12:35 AM
ok.. everything was fine with the truck until i went and put the strobes in... first i did the rear strobes and left the truck in the garage for over a week.. when i went back the truck was dead so i was like ok.. i jump started the truck and everything seemed fine and i started with the front strobes.. 2 days later i went back to work on it and it was dead.. so tonight i put everything back together thinking maybe cuz stuff was unplugged and whatnot it was dying.. went to start and it was dead.. i let it run tonight for a good hour but i noticed that the battery guage reads below 14 while the truck is running.. usually it is around 15... im trying to think what could be causing this.. the only things that i did for the strobes was run 2 power wires to the rear to connect to the strobe power supplies and i grounded both of them to the negative in the trailer hitch.. the power is on a switch that it not even connected at the moment... just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what could be wrong.. my guess is that so many times jumping and then draining and dieing has caused the battery to just go bad and since its only reading like 11 or 12 while the truck is on i figure that cant be a good sign.. the only other thing i did was loosen the bolt that is in the little red box under the hood.. i tightened it and everything feels tight so i dont think its that.. thanks for any help/input..

LLT
12-21-06, 12:55 AM
That seems more like an alternator issue (fried, overloaded to the point it can't juice up the battery, fried because it was overloaded, etc.) if you're getting battery voltage at idle (run a voltmeter across the terminals at idle to be sure.) Did it restart without a jump after you let it run for a while?

Hope it's nothing serious.

TheCaddyKidd
12-21-06, 01:19 AM
yea.. once its started and ran it will start back up for a while.. the most i check so far is like an hour after and it started without an issue.. but most times its like 2 days in between and the battery is completely dead.. no juice at all.. but how could the alternator have been fried.. i dont have much in the vehicle.. right now i only have 2 headrest monitors, 1 flip out monitor, dvd player and thats pretty much it.. i took the system out a while ago so right now so subs or amp... all the electronics are off until i power them on manually so there isnt much draw during startup or whatever..

TheCaddyKidd
12-21-06, 01:27 AM
also i mean i see alot of guys with truly hooked up systems and whatnot using stock alternators and whatnot.. nothing i have is tapped into the car.. everything is run basically directly from the battery, well the little red box in the engine bay.. not directly to the battery.. but the only thing that is hooked into the car is the remote start and i think i might have tapped power for the pac aux input.. other than that i have a wire from that little red power box that goes to the electronics.. and as stated above all the electrnoics have to be manually powered on..

2caddyjoe
12-21-06, 01:38 AM
Did you wire them up to the ground in the trailer wiring or to a bolt attatched to the frame. If you hooked it up to the wires make sure you have the ground wire to trailer and not the white charging wire that would go to the trailer, I believe they are both white.

LLT
12-21-06, 01:43 AM
I don't/didn't know what kind of mods you've made - it was just a possible guess, I wasn't implying -- sometimes they just go bad. :)

DLE
12-21-06, 10:54 AM
Time to get a new battery! :thumbsup:

I guarantee you that! Go to Shucks Auto Parts or local Auto parts and pick one up. Bring some tools, and while in the parking lot, take off the battery.

Let them run a quick test on the battery, and it will probably say "fail". Buy a $130 to $150 battery and you'll be good.

Trust me. If i'm right, you can mail me a $5 Starbucks card or something. lol.

j/k :p

Just so you know, this exact same problem happen to me a month ago too. No matter how much I drive the truck around (thinking it'll recharge), the charge just wouldnt hold. It would just keep dying on me.

TheCaddyKidd
12-21-06, 01:05 PM
Did you wire them up to the ground in the trailer wiring or to a bolt attatched to the frame. If you hooked it up to the wires make sure you have the ground wire to trailer and not the white charging wire that would go to the trailer, I believe they are both white.

i grounded it to the wiring harness.. i think i grounded it to the black wire in the harness...

EXTadic
12-21-06, 01:19 PM
I didn't notice anything about a handheld voltmeter reading from the battery post at "idle" then at 1500 rpm. It should be at least 12.5v at idle. and no more than 14.5v at 1500rpm. Don't trust what you see on your dash gauge. Also it may read correct voltage on your handleld and you may have a dead cell in the Battery.

Rolex
12-21-06, 02:55 PM
Optima red top. :thumbsup: You'll thank me later.

TheCaddyKidd
12-21-06, 03:17 PM
ok heres the status.. last night i let the truck run for a while.. revved it and whatnot and turned it off at like 1130pm Wed. night.. i just went and it started right up at no problems.. this was at 3pm today thursday.. could i still have a bad battery or does this mean the truck just needed to be run for a while to totally charge the battery and everything is ok.. i was planning on grabbing a redtop or yellowtop anyway but wasnt rushing it.. i was probably gonna grab it after christmas or the new year but was hoping to get a litle more time out of the oem battery since it really is practically new with only 3000 miles on the truck and it being under a year old..

DLE
12-21-06, 03:33 PM
Drive to a local autoparts store, and they actually have a scanner that they can come out to your truck, and hook it up to your battery to find out if its bad or not. Its similar like the OBD II scanners, but for batteries. So go get that tested out and let us know what the results was. :thumbsup: