: How to remove lower ball joint???

jannelu
12-20-06, 05:32 PM
Hi all...
I need some advice regarding removal of the lower ball joint.
I removed the cotterpin and the nut, i also got the upper part separated from the lower control arm but then im stucked!!!
I cant get that darn ball joint loose from the lower control arm, does anyone know if i need to use a pressing tool or if its possible to hammer it out???
I tried to hammer it out with a smaller sledgehammer but it does not move an inch!!!
Any suggestions someone???
Jannelu
:confused:

The Ape Man
12-20-06, 07:13 PM
You can hammer the ^*%# out but the lower control arm has to be supported. A press would be much better. It will be a big help re-installing. See if your awful parts store rents ball joint presses.

N0DIH
12-21-06, 11:23 PM
We have a local NAPA here that has a machine shop that does that sort of work.

The Ape Man
12-22-06, 06:50 PM
Sending the lower control arm to a machine shop is too much additional work. Now you have to futz the springs out and remove the lower bushing bolts. Not really a labor saver. Uppers are a completely different story. Bushings can be replaced on the uppers along with the PITA of removing factory ball joint rivits.

N0DIH
12-22-06, 07:10 PM
I pulled the front upper arms on my 80 T/A (identical front suspension as 77-96 B/D Body) on the car sitting on the ground. It went just fine.

Lowers? Haven't messed with them, but Scott Mueller documents how to pull the lowers without a spring compressor. And it comes off quite easy.

http://www.theherd.com/articles/susp.html

The Ape Man
12-22-06, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah they come off pretty easily. Putting them on can be fun. The Cadillac has a little more spring up front vs. T/A. Much easier to rent a ball joint press. Scott who?

yobee
12-24-06, 01:40 PM
support the lower arm and beat the hell out of it.haha, id get a press to put it back in though. the uppers (if that comes around) youve got to grind out the rivets. good luck.ha.