: Engine shutters upon turning off...why?

sy1172
12-20-06, 02:31 PM
My '05 V with 4,500 miles engines shutters a bit upon turning it off every time. Any way to correct this? The 06 I drove didn't do this.

Thank you!

Z06CADY
12-20-06, 03:02 PM
Good question. Mine has started that "shutter" and it is sometimes really bad. With 33,000 miles on the clock it has only been the last month or so since it became noticable. Almost like it wants to keep on running.
I am using the good gas.:hmm:

nikon
12-20-06, 03:02 PM
mine shakes when you shut her down...but excessive shaking could be a bad motor mount.

sy1172
12-20-06, 03:05 PM
Is this acceptable in a $54K car? I know some will say that its' just a big motor and that's to be expected but big motored pick ups don't do it, the 6.1 liter hemi in the SRT-8 doesn't do it.....

Could it be cam profile? Did they change someting in the 6.0 liter opposed to the 5.7 as the 6.0 doesn't do it?

urbanski
12-20-06, 03:21 PM
have dealer check for busted motor mount, there are old threads aplenty about this, and in fact pics and a "how to" documented....

Silver Dollar
12-20-06, 03:58 PM
My '06 doesn't do this.

zozmanCTS-V
12-20-06, 04:12 PM
My '05 V with 4,500 miles engines shutters a bit upon turning it off every time. Any way to correct this? The 06 I drove didn't do this. Thank you!

Your 2006 has an LS2, the 2005, an LS6. The LS6 is a little more beefier in the camshaft department than the LS1 or LS2. The fuel injectors ticking a little bit at idle is not out of the norm. It also normal to hear noises from the drive line, you will hear parts working when you're shifting gears..It is absolutely 100% normal to hear the clicks and clatters of the powertrain. The marbles in a can noise you hear when you shut the engine off is normal, BUT if you shut it down with your foot on the clutch, it won't do it. Both my Z06 and my CTS-V make the same sounds. I've been in a few of these cars, and they all made the same noises. Remember, it is a race car that makes a good street car. And that's what you have. :bouncy:

Randy

OldRoadDawg
12-20-06, 05:35 PM
Is this acceptable in a $54K car? I know some will say that its' just a big motor and that's to be expected but big motored pick ups don't do it, the 6.1 liter hemi in the SRT-8 doesn't do it.....
Yeah, but the SRT8 is a chick car :stirpot:

Your 2006 has an LS2, the 2005, an LS6. The LS6 is a little more beefier in the camshaft department than the LS1 or LS2. The fuel injectors ticking a little bit at idle is not out of the norm. It also normal to hear noises from the drive line, you will hear parts working when you're shifting gears..It is absolutely 100% normal to hear the clicks and clatters of the powertrain. The marbles in a can noise you hear when you shut the engine off is normal, BUT if you shut it down with your foot on the clutch, it won't do it. Both my Z06 and my CTS-V make the same sounds. I've been in a few of these cars, and they all made the same noises. Remember, it is a race car that makes a good street car. And that's what you have. :bouncy:

Randy
:yeah:

dvandentop
12-20-06, 05:51 PM
my 01 z06 did this a little bit, but if clutch was pressed in it didnt do it.

try to shut it off with clutch in and let me know what happens

VelieVer ttt
12-20-06, 05:53 PM
The motor mounts are liquid filled. If the fluid leaks out the car will shudder when shutting off. The shuddering is not normal.

sy1172
12-20-06, 05:59 PM
Tried it with the clutch in and it's mildly better. I'll ask the dealer when it's in Saturday.

Thanks All!

Seattle CTS-V
12-20-06, 06:00 PM
My '05 shakes too...and I wouldn't want a $54k car that didn't hint at what lies beneath the hood. My bud's M6 barely makes any noise. Now what fun is that? If you're going to drive a car with 500 'in-your-face' horsepower then why not satisfy the sound and feel senses!

trekster
12-20-06, 08:17 PM
If you press the clutch while turning off the car the engine shouldn't shake? What's too much shuttering? How long is too long?

Porc
12-21-06, 12:19 AM
My 05 does the same thing(shutters) and have often wondered the same thing. Putting it up on the rack tommorrow and going to inspect when we install the new magnaflow exhaust!

NEW77GUY
12-21-06, 01:47 AM
my 01 z06 did this a little bit, but if clutch was pressed in it didnt do it.

try to shut it off with clutch in and let me know what happens

Ahh...the dreaded "death rattle". Yeah, my '04 ZO6 did that too when i wasn't holding in the cluth...and i learned over at the Vette forum it was pretty normal. Never made a sound when i had the clutch floored. My V shows no signs of "rattle" or "shutter" clutch in or out for some reason. Almost 30k miles now.

ewill3rd
12-21-06, 06:02 AM
If you can get under the car and look at the motor mounts it's pretty easy to tell if the hydraulic fluid has leaked out.
They normally do take a long time to shut down so you'll feel something but if it's really pronounced the mounts may have lost their fluid.
Have it checked. It seems people are reporting that most dealers don't realize that this can be an issue on this car so they might take some prodding. Somewhere someone posted pictures of what a leaking mount looks like.

tedcmiller
12-21-06, 06:49 AM
The motor mounts are liquid filled. If the fluid leaks out the car will shudder when shutting off. The shuddering is not normal.

I don't necessarily agree that this is abnormal. I had a 2004 V and now have a 2005 V. Both cars exibited the shudder-when-switched-off phenomenon from the very first day when they were brand new. I haven't tried holding the clutch in when shutting down because, to me, it is an insignificant issue.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-21-06, 07:36 AM
I don't necessarily agree that this is abnormal. I had a 2004 V and now have a 2005 V. Both cars exibited the shudder-when-switched-off phenomenon from the very first day when they were brand new. I haven't tried holding the clutch in when shutting down because, to me, it is an insignificant issue.
It's all about the amount of shudder/vibration. To a certain extent some shudder is normal when you shut the V down.

The ones that we've had come in here with leaky mounts had a significant increase and type of shudder that you would feel. Almost like someone had installed solid motor mounts in the car.

If you've been driving the car for a while and it's shut down the exact same way every time then you are probably just feeling the normal shudder that the LS6 has. If it's suddenly gotten worse or the shudder has changed then you should have the mounts checked.

And it takes some effort to check them, you can't just jack the car up and look at them from the bottom and see if they are broken. They crack on the top and the fluid leaks out which is not easily seen from the bottom...