: Oil Drain Plug Gasket?

Kurlee Daddee
12-19-06, 11:01 AM
I am getting ready here to do my first oil change on the V. Does the oil drain plug have a replaceable gasket, or does it have a built in o-ring like other cars? I would like to know the answer before I change the oil.

If it does have a gasket, what size is it?

edit: Oil Drain Gasket Part # 3536966

mike041357
12-19-06, 11:09 AM
I'm assuming the astronomical price of a Mobil 1 oil change is partly why you're doing it yourself. If so, another option is to buy all your oil and filter and most places will only charge about $10 to do the labor. In fact, the Firestone near me only charges $10 and that includes the filter. I buy the M1 at Wal-Mart in the 5-qt containter for about $21. Just and option.

Did you get your CAGS installed? Working OK?

Kurlee Daddee
12-19-06, 11:14 AM
I will not let anyone touch my car except for the dealership.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And no, the CAGS hasn't been installed yet. I will have to wait until early next year. I don't have a garage to do the install untill then. I also have my Magnaflow exhaust waiting to be installed on the same day.

rand49er
12-19-06, 11:15 AM
... Does the oil drain plug have a replaceable gasket, or does it have a built in o-ring like other cars? ... Nope, you're good to go.

BTW, how many miles did you go till your first change?

mike041357
12-19-06, 11:19 AM
Check with the dealership, too. Mine does it for $10 if I provide the filter or $17 if they provide it. They also do it in the shop (as opposed to their "Quicke Lube" area). So I get to watch and go underneath and snoop around. That's how we found the leaking rear pinion seal last week. And they fixed it on the spot. You could probably get them to let you plug the CAGS in too.

Never hurts to ask. Or drop off a Starbucks gift card to the Service Advisor....

ewill3rd
12-19-06, 11:58 AM
There is an o-ring type seal on the drain plug.
It's good for a few oil changes.
Any GM dealer should have a bag full of them on the shelf.

patentguy
12-19-06, 12:02 PM
Do you guys usually replace them when needed?

Kurlee Daddee
12-19-06, 12:18 PM
Any GM dealer should have a bag full of them on the shelf.

Cool. Thanks for the info. So I won't need to change out the o-ring for a while.

I had the same type of o-ring on my SRT-4 the way it sounds.

Kurlee Daddee
12-19-06, 12:22 PM
Nope, you're good to go.

BTW, how many miles did you go till your first change?

I bought the car with 18,500 miles on it. I just turned 22k. And my oil life monitor says I have about 20% left. So I need to change it soon.

ewill3rd
12-19-06, 12:48 PM
I usually only replace them if they are really flat or cut and they don't look like they are sealing properly.
That's pretty rare.
I have worked in shops where we replaced them every oil change.
They would tape a new o-ring on the box of each filter.
I think I have some laying around in here but don't ask me where.. I really need to clean up in here!
LOL

rand49er
12-19-06, 04:21 PM
Any GM dealer should have a bag full of them on the shelf.Hmm-m ... I saw it, but didn't realize it should be changed periodically. I've got 31.9k and have changed the oil 7-8 times; next time, I'll look that bugger over real well.

ewill3rd
12-19-06, 05:26 PM
You can take a pocket screwdriver or a pick and just peel it off the drain plug and slide a new one on.
Be sure to have one on hand.

12-19-06, 05:43 PM
we went round with urby or perhaps reed on this a couple of year's back. apparently some (maybe all) of the GM shop manuals say that the o-ring should be changed at each oil change; that was news to me. meanwhile the one on my suburban is still sealing quite well after 4 years and 10 or so oil changes. The V's o-ring is still fine after almost 3 years.

ctsvett
12-20-06, 01:08 AM
I remember this dicussion several years back (wow that long ago)...

I have never changed mine (I do inspect it at every change though). THe part number is on the FAQ for those of you who dont work at a dealer and have them laying around in bags (ahem... ewill!!) HAHAHA

Reed

kueh
12-20-06, 03:06 AM
I haven't had the need to replace my o-ring yet. I have 26K on my car. I change my oil every 3K. So, the same o-ring has been on there for about 8 changes. They are still perfectly fine. I DO have an extra o-ring just in case there was some rubber damage, or when I do the oil change, I can see that there's a leak from the plug.

Kurlee Daddee
12-20-06, 08:32 AM
Updated first post of this thread with oil drain gasket part #.