: Anyone else get a cramp/strain in right ankle?

sy1172
12-19-06, 07:47 AM
I love this car but the only thing is that my right ankle (on top right) gets strained from the angle of the gas pedal. I've never had this in any toher car. Anyone else? Cure?

trekster
12-19-06, 07:56 AM
Nope, no ankle problem for me.

Maybe you're getting old? :D J/K

nikon
12-19-06, 08:01 AM
ya I get it in certain shoes where the sole is too thick...I usually drive with thin sandals...get yourself some nice driving shoes.

12-19-06, 08:49 AM
Either you are pushing the pedal too hard to the floor...or you are so fearful of the power that you are cramping your muscles in a vain attempt to keep speed under control.

See an orthopedist, and make sure you tell him what car you are driving. He will explain that you are suffering from CTVSitis, which sometimes manifests itself as inflammation in the synovial joints in your right ankle, left ankle, and sometimes the right wrist and elbow.

In extreme cases it happens in all 3 joints, in which case they will usually prescribe an STSV, and if that doesn't work, sadly, the extreme treatment is a Prius.

Dean400hp
12-19-06, 09:38 AM
try wearing racing sneakers, I wear addidas racing sneakers and not only are they comfortable but you go faster:suspense: and you look cool when you get out of your car, people will think your in a ralley race:suspect:

ok, I'm full of crap and bored:alchi:

The Tony Show
12-19-06, 09:45 AM
Piloti Racing shoes (http://www.piloti.com/)

The best shoes ever.

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 09:54 AM
It's too bad we don't get a telescoping steering wheel. I do get very mild discomfort on long drives. If you can, get your driving position back farther. I've got long legs and rather short arms so I've naturally adapted to the straight arm Italian driving style.

But like has been said before, a good set of driving shoes are definitely recommended.

trekster
12-19-06, 09:56 AM

The best shoes ever.
I've always wanted a pair of those shoes but theres so many of them and I don't know what design I need them in.

gary442
12-19-06, 10:03 AM
For Christ sake...aren't we over analyzing this ?

sy1172
12-19-06, 10:21 AM
Yeah, those driving shoes will look real good wearing a suit to a meeting....hmmmm.

nikon
12-19-06, 10:21 AM

The best shoes ever.

ya which ones do you recommend for daily driving/daily walkers??

never mind, just ordered the g16 white/smoke/black..thanks for the link...not a bad price either, considering normal sneakers will run you at least $100....I just hope they can hold up to the wear and tear I put shoes through.

nikon
12-19-06, 10:37 AM
Yeah, those driving shoes will look real good wearing a suit to a meeting....hmmmm.

you should have a super slim leather sole then, and should'nt have a problem with your ankle cramping.....that, or you really are just getting old.

Kadonny
12-19-06, 10:42 AM
Either you are pushing the pedal too hard to the floor...or you are so fearful of the power that you are cramping your muscles in a vain attempt to keep speed under control.

See an orthopedist, and make sure you tell him what car you are driving. He will explain that you are suffering from CTVSitis, which sometimes manifests itself as inflammation in the synovial joints in your right ankle, left ankle, and sometimes the right wrist and elbow.

In extreme cases it happens in all 3 joints, in which case they will usually prescribe an STSV, and if that doesn't work, sadly, the extreme treatment is a Prius.

Yup, had that happen to me. The doctor had to prescribe an STS-V and it worked like a charm.

I still have this problem with my face though, I can't get rid of the smile! Darndest thing.

CIWS
12-19-06, 11:40 AM
You're getting old and breaking down. I'll say it :D

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 11:51 AM
Yeah, those driving shoes will look real good wearing a suit to a meeting....hmmmm.Not a problem...knock yourself out!

http://www.nextag.com/driving-shoes/search-html

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 11:58 AM

never mind, just ordered the g16 white/smoke/black..thanks for the link...not a bad price either, considering normal sneakers will run you at least $100....I just hope they can hold up to the wear and tear I put shoes through.Funny, I just decided to buy the Prototipo in race blue/white/smoke. I bought mine from Bavaria Autosport since they were close but this place has free shipping. Go nuts!

http://www.motorspot.com/Piloti.htm

atdeneve
12-19-06, 12:27 PM
Funny, I just decided to buy the Prototipo in race blue/white/smoke. I bought mine from Bavaria Autosport since they were close but this place has free shipping. Go nuts!

http://www.motorspot.com/Piloti.htm

Yeah, those are definitely the best style and color combination. Well, they'd be the ones I would get, anyways. The green/white combo or the yellow come next. But definitely the blue/whites. Berry nice.

All the other styles a bit too odd fer me.

The Tony Show
12-19-06, 12:40 PM
I forgot to mention:

Besides being awesome shoes, Piloti is the official footwear of Team Cadillac!

Looky! (http://www.piloti.com/news/press_detail.aspx?id=138)

commander112
12-19-06, 12:50 PM
Strap a small rubber wedge (from a shoe store) to the pedal and see if the cramp goes away. If it does, then Gorilla glue it to the rubber pedal pad. If you find that you no longer need it order a new pad. End of problem. By the way, since you asked, I do not have an issue with discomfort.

Mark

trekster
12-19-06, 01:01 PM

never mind, just ordered the g16 white/smoke/black..thanks for the link...not a bad price either, considering normal sneakers will run you at least $100....I just hope they can hold up to the wear and tear I put shoes through.
I ordered the same ones.

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 01:09 PM
Yeah, those are definitely the best style and color combination. Well, they'd be the ones I would get, anyways. The green/white combo or the yellow come next. But definitely the blue/whites. Berry nice.

All the other styles a bit too odd fer me.My brother is a wannabe Brit. He's peculiar in general and likes all that British comedy. And I know once he sees my Piloti shoes, he'll want the British Racing Green color.

trekster
12-19-06, 01:29 PM
My brother is a wannabe Brit. He's peculiar in general and likes all that British comedy. And I know once he sees my Piloti shoes, he'll want the British Racing Green color. Why won't you give him that as a holiday gift?

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 02:17 PM
I forgot to mention:

Besides being awesome shoes, Piloti is the official footwear of Team Cadillac!

Looky! (http://www.piloti.com/news/press_detail.aspx?id=138)So should I have gotten the Prototipo with the Black/LS Orange combo? Is the LS for Chevy orange? Or is that some funky European thing?

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 02:20 PM
Why won't you give him that as a holiday gift?Eh, I buy him enough stuff. I bought him a big screen HDTV a couple years ago as a housewarming gift and I keep telling him that's all he gets for like 20 years.

Besides, we don't do the holidays...

trekster
12-19-06, 03:02 PM
Eh, I buy him enough stuff. I bought him a big screen HDTV a couple years ago as a housewarming gift and I keep telling him that's all he gets for like 20 years.

Besides, we don't do the holidays...
How generous. I wish you were my brother. :histeric:

The Tony Show
12-19-06, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking about a pair of the black/yellow Prototipos. Matches the color of the V logo and all.....

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 05:10 PM
I'm still planning on getting some full blown racing shoes for next year. Those will be color coordinated to the V. Yeah, I'm anal. Or vein. Or is that veign? Vane?

ewill3rd
12-19-06, 05:44 PM
I think you should be able to adjust the front of the seat to reposition your foot. It sounds like maybe you have it adjusted so that it's putting too much pressure on your ankle.
Try adjusting the seat for a better driving position.

As a tall guy I find that I have to tilt the back of the seat down and the front of the seat up and recline just a bit to keep from cramping my legs and ankles, usually when I feel that happening adjusting the seat makes it go away.
I wish I could adjust the handlebars on my bike, my wrists get really screwed up sometimes riding for long distances.

The Tony Show
12-19-06, 05:47 PM
Vain.

Unless you're Dracula, then it's vein. But something tells me you already knew that.....

ctsvflorida
12-19-06, 06:56 PM
For Christ sake...aren't we over analyzing this ?

WOW! Your first post was this and it was the best! You can't get better than this! I said holy crapola when I read the first 4 posts and yours was the 8th post! I see now that this thread is on page three! Holy shizzznit! OVERANALYZED! That's an understatement! You're OK by me and welcome the...cough, cough...forum!

The only pain I get is when I read some of these threads and posts!
6' 5" 280lbs. and put 22k on my car this year and no problems driving close, far, long, fast, slow...whatever! You guys should see a doctor and not the cadillac forums! Nuff said!

OH! One more thing...I do get a cramp in my pinky when making a lot of left turns from the turn signal! Please send me all the advice you can and I am not concerned about thread jacking here, with this question, because most of you seem to be jacking...one way or another!

HiTechRV
12-19-06, 08:31 PM
On most modern cars there are 2 springs on the throttle body to resist foot pressure on the accelerator pedal. The second spring is there in case the first on fails. If this failure mode does not concern you, you could disconnect one of the springs and reduce the force on your foot by 50%. Of course I would not recommend anyone do such a thing.

I've done it on a number of cars, and it makes the pedal drop down with the satisfying flop of an old-school muscle car.

ctsvflorida
12-19-06, 08:37 PM
On most modern cars there are 2 springs on the throttle body to resist foot pressure on the accelerator pedal. The second spring is there in case the first on fails. If this failure mode does not concern you, you could disconnect one of the springs and reduce the force on your foot by 50%. Of course I would not recommend anyone do such a thing.

I've done it on a number of cars, and it makes the pedal drop down with the satisfying flop of an old-school muscle car.

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

nikon
12-19-06, 08:53 PM
^^ Ditto....hitech, the V is fly-by-wire...no cables or anything, just a little electric signal that tells the TB to open and close.

lunarx
12-19-06, 09:12 PM

Personally, I think the problem is that the pedal effort is too light.
If it had more resistance, I would not need to bend my ankle back to avoid over accelerating in traffic.
Lots of traffic driving down here.
JimSHO was right in saying that it definetly helps to move the seat back.
That's what I found anyways.

HiTechRV
12-19-06, 09:16 PM
Where is the accelerator pedal spring on the CTS-V?

ctsvflorida
12-19-06, 09:27 PM
Where is the accelerator pedal spring on the CTS-V?

It's in the accelerator pedal spring positioning locator assembly! WTF

thebigjimsho
12-19-06, 09:43 PM
WOW! Your first post was this and it was the best! You can't get better than this! I said holy crapola when I read the first 4 posts and yours was the 8th post! I see now that this thread is on page three! Holy shizzznit! OVERANALYZED! That's an understatement! You're OK by me and welcome the...cough, cough...forum!

The only pain I get is when I read some of these threads and posts!
6' 5" 280lbs. and put 22k on my car this year and no problems driving close, far, long, fast, slow...whatever! You guys should see a doctor and not the cadillac forums! Nuff said!

OH! One more thing...I do get a cramp in my pinky when making a lot of left turns from the turn signal! Please send me all the advice you can and I am not concerned about thread jacking here, with this question, because most of you seem to be jacking...one way or another!I could say somthing about a cramped member from too much use with someone's girlfriend....

But I'm not that low.:duck:

ctsvflorida
12-19-06, 10:05 PM
I could say somthing about a cramped member from too much use with someone's girlfriend....

But I'm not that low.:duck:

Completely lost me on this one! :hmm:

srracer
12-19-06, 11:01 PM
Personally, I think the problem is that the pedal is too light.
If it had more resistance I would not need to bend my ankle back to avoid over accelerating in traffic.
JimSHO was right in saying that it definetly helps to move the seat back.
That's what I found anyways.

I agree 100%. What ends up happening is that you end up pulling your ankle up almost constantly to avoid pushing the pedal down. For me, my ankle doesn't end up hurting, but the heel of my foot does - because pulling back on my ankle like that, drives my heel into the floor mat pretty good over the long haul. I commute about 140 miles per day, so that doesn't help either.

As Lunarx and others have said, moving the seat back helps, and I have also found that moving my heel a little left so that my foot is tilted to about a 1:30 position helped a lot too. I REALLY wish our V's had telescoping steering wheels though, because I -don't- have long arms.

And BTW, I think this is a GREAT thread. I searched fruitlessly in the forum on this a number of times to see if anybody has done anything about it so I'm glad to hear that others have similar issues.

-Chris

50 4Ever
12-20-06, 12:17 AM
Look, the solution is simple, it actually has to do with physics. There are several things that have an effect on the angle of the gas pedal; engine RPM, speed of the vehicle and the gear you are in. If your ankle cramps the throttle position is too low, say 10%, you need to increase the throttle position while maintaining the same speed. This is accomplished by selecting a lower gear. If the ankle is still giving you a problem, select yet a lower gear. Eventually you will find a comfortable position.

As for the 2 springs on the throttle body thing, give the guy a break - he started off his post by stating "On most modern cars...", so he wasn't referring to the cars with the LS1, 2, 6 or 7 engines. What led everyone to think he was talking about a V or Corvette? I wonder, since this is electronic could there possibly be a resistor or 2 somewhere that could cause this?

Oh no guys, am I over analyzing this.... :eek:

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

ewill3rd
12-20-06, 05:51 AM
I used to add or remove springs to change throttle feel on some of my older cars. Every Cadillac that I can think of is drive by wire these days. It's been a long time since I have seen a return spring, even on a cable driven throttle body. Most throttle bodies have the spring built in somehow.
The APP or "gas pedal" (Accelerator Pedal Position) actually has several springs in it, but I'd strongly recommend against tampering with the springs as it might have some really adverse effects on throttle feel and function.
Resistors won't help much because there are 3 sensors inside the APP and they all have voltages going every which way. The computer monitors each sensor and compares it to the others for diagnostic purposes. If the values operate outside of pre-programmed values in comparison with the others, codes will set and you'll be stuck doing about 20mph.

I had never heard of "driving shoes" before but I have noticed that when I change to different shoes a car can feel really strange until I get used to it.
I know on my motorcycle shoes make all the difference because it can really change how much you move your foot on the shifter and the brake and it can genuinely screw you up if you have soles that are too thick or something of that nature. Shoes might actually make a big difference but I think you can compensate for that stuff with seat position like I said before.

rand49er
12-20-06, 06:20 AM
Sorry for this rather belated thought ... I just tuned in.

I get a bit of discomfort in my right leg on longer drives where I'm not using cruise control. My theory is that in trying to keep the car driving smoothly, I'm tensing my muscles in the right leg (especially the muscles on top of my foot and lower leg) to keep a steady force on the gas pedal. I'm trying to avoid slight pushing or releasing of the throttle which jerks the car (accelerating/decelerating).

Well, anyway, that's my theory.

BTW, this thread is funny! :xsmile:

OldRoadDawg
12-20-06, 08:24 AM
OH! One more thing...I do get a cramp in my pinky when making a lot of left turns from the turn signal! Please send me all the advice you can ..
Must be that you're not using the proper driving gloves. :histeric: I'm sure we could probably expand this thread to what type of high dollar driving gloves everyone wears.

ctsvflorida
12-20-06, 08:31 AM
Must be that you're not using the proper driving gloves. :histeric: I'm sure we could probably expand this thread to what type of high dollar driving gloves everyone wears.

Good answer RoadDawg! To all who are serious here and not serious...Happy Holidays! I'll be away for two weeks or so as of Friday morning, so you won't have to deal with my sarcasm during that time! :mad2:

rand49er
12-20-06, 09:59 AM
Must be that you're not using the proper driving gloves. :histeric: I'm sure we could probably expand this thread to what type of high dollar driving gloves everyone wears.You forgot to mention high performance boxers (though I'm a briefs man myself ... don't like all that flippin' and floppin' while clutchin').

sy1172
12-20-06, 11:04 AM
I'll try moving the seat around a bit. For whatever reason, this is the only car I've ever had this in and it's getting old. Sitting here at my desk I can still feel a mild ache. I'll just stop being a puss and drive it already.

50 4Ever
12-20-06, 04:45 PM
I'll try moving the seat around a bit. For whatever reason, this is the only car I've ever had this in and it's getting old. Sitting here at my desk I can still feel a mild ache. I'll just stop being a puss and drive it already.

I hope this motley crew didn't contribute your mild headache, we can be a rough group at times.
:mob:

But it should be better for the next couple of weeks since ctsvflorida is going to go on vacation. :histeric:

Happy holidays everyone :thumbsup:

ctsvflorida
12-20-06, 05:45 PM
[quote=50 4Ever;910629]I hope this motley crew didn't contribute your mild headache, we can be a rough group at times.
:mob:

But it should be better for the next couple of weeks since ctsvflorida is going to go on vacation. :histeric:

LMAO! :worship: Now that's good! Happy Holidays!

P.S. I'll be bored without seeing the crap on here for a while!

CVP33
12-20-06, 06:08 PM
Sorry, but I too am late to this thread. Back when I had the Caddy I had the same problem with my ankle/leg cramping. I bought this sharp little pair of driving shoes, silver with a matching blue stripe that matches my eyessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssa s;lkjawerf[pppppadbmbn;adlkm

Holy CRAP!

You guys are not going to believe what just happened. I'm happily typing away when this giant freaking beer can just slammed through the roof of my house and nearly hit me right on the head. Damn that was close.

By the way, this is more gay then the threads that WW,F and others use to engage in. Way gayer. :highfive:

ctsvflorida
12-20-06, 06:37 PM
Sorry, but I too am late to this thread. Back when I had the Caddy I had the same problem with my ankle/leg cramping. I bought this sharp little pair of driving shoes, silver with a matching blue stripe that matches my eyessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssa s;lkjawerf[pppppadbmbn;adlkm

Holy CRAP!

You guys are not going to believe what just happened. I'm happily typing away when this giant freaking beer can just slammed through the roof of my house and nearly hit me right on the head. Damn that was close.

By the way, this is more gay then the threads that WW,F and others use to engage in. Way gayer. :highfive:

No kiddin, really? Was it a Milwaukees Best Light can? Many of you guys must have been hit with that before! :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

The Tony Show
12-20-06, 07:42 PM
gay gay :highfive:

See what happens when you drive a Chrysler, kids? :D

Just kiddin' you man. Here's a link to a sweet thread about "DUBZ" in the CTS forum you can forward to all the homeez in the SRT8 club.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum/93142-what-you-guys-think-my-new.html

:Poke: