: Hypothetical Question for Fleetwood Owners

Cadillac Giovanni
12-19-06, 12:05 AM
If you lost your Fleetwood Brougham (God forbid), and were going to get a brand new vehicle, would you go with a new Cadillac DTS, CTS, or whatever, or would you defect and opt for the more Fleetwood-esque RWD Lincoln Town Car?

I know really I would search far and wide for another Fleetwood, but for the sake of the question, I think I wouldn't mind a new Town Car. They're pretty slick...

Just wondering what you guys think.

JRau
12-19-06, 12:20 AM
I don't care for the newer Lincoln Town Car bodystyle. I'd love to have a '97 Town Car, though, but since your question relates to brand new...

I guess I would go for a new DTS--maybe 2. One for luxury touring, the other one I might be open to having Hitmoney customize it for me. Though I don't normally care for heavily modded cars, his black DTS is very well done.

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
12-19-06, 12:38 AM
I'd go mid-90's Towncar, if I couldn't find a 94-96 Fleetwood.

Rob Benham
12-19-06, 01:16 AM
I have a really clean and original ‘95, but it hasn't been easy to sell. One guy from Sweden was going to fly across to buy it, but other than that I have been offered very low bids on it. I'm really surprised, because if it's what turns you on, this has to be one of the best. However, it is green. Is there something wrong with green? I have a green Honda in the UK and I have been trying to sell it for years. I'm going to have it buried with me it seems.

davesdeville
12-19-06, 06:52 AM
STS. V, if possible. Well then again I don't have a Fleetwood I have a Deville so I shouldn't be answering I guess.

UNCLLUIE
12-19-06, 07:37 AM
When my 93 died, I thought about a 96. A Town Car wasn't ever on my radar - it was annoying enough that people "flagged" me down on the street thinking I was a gypsy cab, or tried to get in at stoplights. I replaced it with an 02 ETC because I always loved the look of it. If I could snag another parking spot in my building, I'd be on the lookout for a nice 96 - Maroon with gold emblems again!

Miss the ride, the ability to carry 5 people comfortably, and 7 in a pinch, loved the reaction of my friends from Europe who are used to tiny cars - they actually took more pictures of it than the tree at Rockefeller Center, miss the huge trunk, long drives on the Interstate, the gas filler in the center behind the licence plate, and the hood ornament!

davidrap
12-19-06, 01:06 PM
I would not compare a Lincoln to a Fleetwood. I have driven those Lincolns and they are slow, handle poorly and worst of all they have those whiney transmissions that make me think I'm in a cab.

If you are looking new and want size go for a DTS. They are great. I had an 02 and that was a cool fast car with all the toys and easy on the wallet. The new DTS is even better.

If smaller is OK the CTS-V is so much fun to drive. That 6 speed manual is awesome.

-David

codewize
12-19-06, 01:08 PM
I hate the Town Car and would never go that route. The Broughams are out there for sale. I know of 2 for sale right now but I don't think the price is right on them.

I would look long and hard for the right one. They'll come along. Now if I had to replace it with a later vintage Would go for the DHS, if I was looking to replace the luxurious qualities.

A CTS is not even close to replacing the Brougham. Having said that, when the DTS is paid for we may get my wife a CST to replace the Brougham she drives now, but we'd keep the Brougham too.

BCs71
12-19-06, 02:10 PM
Well, if I was forced to buy a NEW car as a replacement, I would look at the factors that made me buy my Fleetwood in the first place.

Speed and large aftermarket to go even faster (and handling) were the main factor. The "originality" factor was also a big factor.
So I guess to match characteristics, the CTS and CTS-V would be the front runners for me.

But from an aesthetic standpoint, the DTS would fit the bill for me. It would also serve the purposes as a better "family" vehicle which fit my current lifestyle better now. This would be my first choice.

But I like used cars, so I would end up with another 94-6 Fleetwood Brougham. Cost is another major factor for me. The defining factor, actually.

Cadillac Giovanni
12-19-06, 07:00 PM
I still say I'd defect for a Lincoln. My grandpa was a Caddy man, and he gave up on them when they dropped the RWD chassis. He owned two lincoln town cars since then, a 98 and an 03. THey both rode excellently, and they had quite a bit of punch to them as i recall. They were also large and comfortable.

HOwever, i was just browsing the DTS forum here, and someone posted a picture of a new DTS-L, which boasts an additional 8 inches of cab space compared to the average dts. that's pretty spiffy.

codewize
12-19-06, 09:15 PM
If it's the one I think you're talking about, that's not a production vehicle.

I still say I'd defect for a Lincoln. My grandpa was a Caddy man, and he gave up on them when they dropped the RWD chassis. He owned two lincoln town cars since then, a 98 and an 03. THey both rode excellently, and they had quite a bit of punch to them as i recall. They were also large and comfortable.

HOwever, i was just browsing the DTS forum here, and someone posted a picture of a new DTS-L, which boasts an additional 8 inches of cab space compared to the average dts. that's pretty spiffy.

96Fleetwood
12-20-06, 07:04 AM
**If I HAD to buy a new car to replace the Fleetwood, I would buy a new Mercury Grand Marquis for $16,950... can't beat that combination, 4.6 liter and RWD V8 :D

Why? For the same reasons I bought my Fleetwood. Inexpensive to maintain, Inexpensive insurance, Inexpensive modification potential, and the ultimate sleeper effect. I am tired of sports cars, I had too many and I just got into trouble with that (with the law and women).

caddieboy
12-20-06, 04:40 PM
(snip) However, it is green. Is there something wrong with green? (snip)

It's not easy being green.

But back to the OP.

I overpaid for my '92 Brougham, guy was trying to sell it for a year because he wouldn't budge on price. It was my dream car, and still a fraction of the price of a new car.

I'd look for a really optimistic seller who's asking an ungodly amount because the car is practically new. And it will still be a fraction of a current year brand new car.

So what would I do if I wanted to replace my old beast? I'd find a nicer old beast. I was considering buying a CTS but couldn't imagine paying all that money. So I paid a fraction for a MINT '92 Brougham. I get looks, and when I changed the oil this weekend, I peered into the car bay to see ALL the mechanics taking turns looking underneath the car (it's disgustingly mint clean underneath).

So what would you rather? A new car that you see dozens of on the road, or a rarer gem in mint condition? We all have our preferences. I think you know my preference.

brougham
12-20-06, 06:47 PM
I dont have a Fleetwood I have a Brougham D'Elegance. And if I had to replace it I would get another one. But If I was getting another car I would only buy another one if I found one for sale when I wanted one. Other then that Id get a Town Car because I dont like any newer Cadillacs.

Benzilla
12-20-06, 08:10 PM
If I had to go new, I'd probably get a 2007 DTS. I know I'm the only one, but I love the newer bodystyle! I'd get it in either black, cashmere, or - and this I really like - custom paint one Western Saddle Firemist and install a dark brown clothtop. So I'd have a daily driver version of my Phaeton.

96Fleetwood
12-20-06, 08:29 PM
How can you beat this brand new for $17K

http://www.new-used-ford-cars-trucks-for-sale-bankruptcy-special-financing.com/ebay/o3.jpg

Half the price of a new Town Car or DTS :histeric:... or even less

Eh, who wants a new car anyways.... I would always worry about voiding warranty ;)

davesdeville
12-20-06, 11:00 PM
Yeah the Grand Marquis is a steal for $17k, 80% of the Town car for 40% of the price.

bicentennialcadillac
12-20-06, 11:17 PM
People should appreciate the FoMoCo Panthers more. Once they're gone, we'll likely never see a BOF passenger car again.

If buying new, I'd order a DTS with the bench seats and stand-up crest. If I wasn't such a GM/Cadillac zealot I'd have a Panther-chassis car in a heartbeat.

caddycruiser
12-21-06, 01:34 AM
Without a doubt, with the end of the GM B/D body line and the Fleetwood in '96, the most common replacement has been and continues to be the Lincoln Town Car--check out ads for Fleetwoods, and you'll always see a lot as trade-ins at a Lincoln-Mercury dealer.

That said, I have no idea what I'd get. A few months ago, I was actually pondering replacing the Fleetwood with a newer, smaller car until I came to my whits and forgot about that. Right now, I'm so in love with it, I'd probably end up with another if buying used (the likely scenario anyway, given my finances for the next few years...).

But new, there's so many things I'd consider at so many different price points. If being more conservative with the price, I very likely would go a route like Elias suggested--a FoMoCo panther car. Although they've been done for a couple years, I still love the Marauder, and newer maybe one of the last Crown Vic LX Sport's. Cheap and simple to work on has become more of a godsend than I ever imagined, and these are pretty much the only cars that still hold true to that. Same deal with RWD. Never imagined leaning so far that way, but now being so used to and in tune with it, I actually despise the feel of a FWD car.

Others, new, I'd look into would be a Chrysler 300C, redesigned '08 CTS, and a few other things...I'm really open ended in that regard, for sure. In the end, it would all come down to price vs. the most impressive level of style, quality, and performance.

ShadowLvr400
12-21-06, 04:18 AM
I'd hunt down another older Fleet, or downgrade to a Caprice/Impala. No new cars though.

Destroyer
12-21-06, 01:44 PM
**If I HAD to buy a new car to replace the Fleetwood, I would buy a new Mercury Grand Marquis for $16,950... can't beat that combination, 4.6 liter and RWD V8 :D

Why? For the same reasons I bought my Fleetwood. Inexpensive to maintain, Inexpensive insurance, Inexpensive modification potential, and the ultimate sleeper effect. I am tired of sports cars, I had too many and I just got into trouble with that (with the law and women).I would go for an SRT8 Charger, 300 or Magnum for the same reasons you outlined behind your choice for a Grand Marquis. Buy the time you got done bringing a Grand Marquis to the performance level of an SRT8 you would probably exceeded the purchase price of an SRT8.

I also had many sports/muscle cars and dont miss them. I like big luxury cars that have performance potential such as the Fleetwood. :thumbsup:

Cadillac Giovanni
12-21-06, 07:40 PM
By the by, here's the link for the new longer wheelbase DTS. from what i hear it is a factory option.

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/cce?Category=GALLERY&DateRange=20061101-20071201&Range=1&objectclass=1&Module=1&Class=11&photofoldermultisearch=2007_la,cadillac,dts&photofoldermultisearchand=1&Execute=1&Count=1

davesdeville
12-21-06, 09:06 PM
I would go for an SRT8 Charger, 300 or Magnum for the same reasons you outlined behind your choice for a Grand Marquis. Buy the time you got done bringing a Grand Marquis to the performance level of an SRT8 you would probably exceeded the purchase price of an SRT8.

While I appreciate the LX platform cars... I highly doubt the latter statement you made is remotely close to being true.

caddycruiser
12-21-06, 10:11 PM
I would go for an SRT8 Charger, 300 or Magnum for the same reasons you outlined behind your choice for a Grand Marquis. Buy the time you got done bringing a Grand Marquis to the performance level of an SRT8 you would probably exceeded the purchase price of an SRT8.

I also had many sports/muscle cars and dont miss them. I like big luxury cars that have performance potential such as the Fleetwood. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Though I did mention a 300C in my other post here, I just have to say how much I really love the LX car line in general. BOF, no, but out of all current vehicles, they come the closest to providing the level of room and performance straight from the factory that some of the GM B/D cars did in their best days--on they've taken it to a higher, more suited notch. And again, all straight from the factory. It's no doubt why they've done so well since being intro'd.

I also was just thinking today when I saw just the "right" one how much I like certain new Town Cars, even as common as they are. The build quality and standard refinement is far beyond the last of the Fleetwoods in most regards, but I probably wouldn't be swayed into one as definately as with a Fleetwood because they have the look & luxury, but no "extra" to make it special like strong power under the hood. With my Fleetwood, I get most of that good stuff, but can also plant the pedal just a little and be roaring past cars who never assumed such a yacht could move like that.

Ask me what car I'd buy next if given a big selection, and you'll likely never get a straight answer. To this day, though, the Fleetwood is the ONLY car--faults and all--that still "gets my gander" for reasons even I can't explain.

N0DIH
12-21-06, 11:17 PM
I really don't care how "nice" the 300's are, it is still a ChryCo, and the quality still sucks. Heck, I am seeing fairly new Intrepids driving around burning oil already. Come on.

Ford isn't too bad, I think you are right, if we had to go new, the Marquis is probably best buy. Still only a 4.6L Mod motor. Maybe if a 6.8L V10 would fit.... Or the test mule 5.75L V10 (4.6L with 2 more cyls) if they ever make it. I have heard the 5.4L just won't fit in that chassis. Bummer....

But for me, I am sticking with the D body...

Destroyer
12-22-06, 01:10 AM
While I appreciate the LX platform cars... I highly doubt the latter statement you made is remotely close to being true.Not at all, the SRT8 cars have 425hp stock. How would you go about getting that horsepower out of a 4.6?. Its about twice the power. A supercharger/exhaust/bolt-ons would not do it. But lets say you spent a fortune and got 425hp out of it. Now you need a stronger transmission and rear gears. You will also need to do up the suspension and brakes. The SRT8 also has a better interior with sport leather seats and nice stereo, etc.., the bills are adding up now. In the end you would wind up with a $50k Grand Marquis that would have a voided warranty and a $10k book value. Might as well pick up an older ex cop car and swap the drivetrain from an '03-'04 Cobra (its been done).

509Rider
12-22-06, 01:51 AM
CTS-V I hate fords and if the charger or 300 came in a stick I would consider them also.

Cogs
12-22-06, 05:21 AM
I wouldn't go with a Town Car or a new Cadillac just because of price. I would deffinately look into the new Crown Vic LX Sport or an '05 Grand Marquis LSE(comes with floor shifter, bucket seats and better suspension the same as a crown vic sport) It's too bad they dont make the LSE anymore. Or a Marauder would be nice. I love the Panther chassis cars, I've owned 4 of them so far. The ones I had deffinately don't compare to a Fleetwood, but they're great cars too.

Cogs
12-22-06, 05:23 AM
Oh and by the way a Ford V10 will fit right in the engine bay, it's been done a few times. A 5.4L will fit, but it's too tall I believe so you'd need to make a cowl hood or something. I'm almost positive it's been done also. The supercharged cobra engine has also been swapped in successfully. It's not hard to make those cars move.

Hammondsix
12-22-06, 09:24 AM
I would definately get a Grand maquis again. They are awsome! Its probably the most the most durable car available today (and the best value for the money). the only car that i could think of, that would be more durable would be the MB 320CDI, which happens to be my dreamcar.

bicentennialcadillac
12-22-06, 11:40 AM
I'll pay attention to the LX cars when they offer a bench seat. Which is never.

caddycruiser
12-22-06, 12:01 PM
I'll pay attention to the LX cars when they offer a bench seat. Which is never.

Well, there's reasons for that. With 2 Fleetwoods and a Roadmaster, I'm more than used to the setup and mostly like it, but would still prefer seats just as large and comfortable, but a full center console with storage and a shifter that's more natural to use. The same holds true for most people anymore too, even if just from a looks perspective.

GM still offers the bench as an option on the new Lucerne and DTS, now as extra-cost vs. the standard buckets & console. The issue? A lot of dealers still seem to be ordering a lot of their inventory like that (I found a TON when we were thinking of a Lucerne this summer), but they aren't the models that sell first, even to the older clientale who used to only buy that setup--as the '06 leftovers dwindled, it was the bench seat cars that sat around longest. The market for them still exists, yes, but to a smaller and smaller extent and, in Chrysler's view, the LX cars are large, rwd, and powerful BUT meant to err on the side of luxury/sport (ala BMW/MB, etc.) and not luxury/squish (some Buicks/Caddy)--the latter where a bench is most common still.

Valid point, though, and you definately aren't the only one I've heard mention that in places about the cars.

Rick186
12-22-06, 02:04 PM
New?
If I could afford it, a CTS-V
Next Choice would be a nice, peaceful STS Touring.
But yesterday we took one of our dogs from West Hartford to Wilton to a vet specializing in dog eye troubles. Never, in my 30 years as a road warrior have I seen such rotten traffic as I did then. And I have driven virtually this entire country; Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago, Philly, almost the entire midwest, etc.
Cruise control was impossible with speed limits at 65 being driven at 45 to 85! None of the jerks could keep anything approaching a steady speed nor stay in a lane.
But here is where my 1995 Fleetwood with that LT1 and Shane Cobb's Stage II HydraMatic really paid off:
Coming out of the Mobil station on the Merrit Parkway there was a only very tiny gap in traffic after a long, long wait, and the Merritt, having been built in the late 1930s has NO nice, long approach lanes, so I had to goose it to merge.
Seeing the slight gap, I floored it and - - - Wheeee!
The old girl picked up her skirts and shot up to 90 so damn fast I almost rear-ended the car at the leading edge of the head of the gap.
Those of "little faith" had, meanwhile, scattered into the left lane and suddenly found out that they didn't have to! And found out that that big blue Cadillac wasn't some old fart's slug!
Ahh, what satisfaction! :bouncy:
So, if I had to get another car,
IT WOULD DEFINITELY BE ANOTHER 1994 TO 1996 FLEETWOOD and I'd put whatever $$ necessary to bring it up to the standards of what I have now.

caddycruiser
12-22-06, 04:35 PM
Despite my indecisiveness, I have to agree on posts like that^^. Sounds EXACTLY like me towards the close of a traffic jam, driving from PA to DE on Tuesday.

96Fleetwood
12-22-06, 06:40 PM
Of course if I got another car, it would be a Fleetwood.... but remember the original post of the thread, What NEW car would you get:cool:

After driving my Dad's 2007 Z06 and Mom's 760LI... the Fleetwood feels slow :nono: I need more mods!! ;)

Rick186
12-22-06, 07:53 PM
Elias -
Go talk to Shane!:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-06, 08:04 PM
What new(er) "typical" (not european style) american luxury car would I buy?

Lucerne, DTS, Grand Marquis LS (or LSE), Marauder, Park Avenue Ultra. I think that's all.

lochenjons
12-24-06, 06:28 PM
if i lost my fleetwood i would get a 88-98 extended cab chevy or gmc with a 9.5 inch lift. actually that one is next on my list of cars to get.

i would probably get a DTS... i just like the look of them over the CTS...

oh and it would have to have the V8 in it..

davesdeville
12-25-06, 04:52 AM
Not at all, the SRT8 cars have 425hp stock. How would you go about getting that horsepower out of a 4.6?. Its about twice the power. A supercharger/exhaust/bolt-ons would not do it. But lets say you spent a fortune and got 425hp out of it. Now you need a stronger transmission and rear gears. You will also need to do up the suspension and brakes. The SRT8 also has a better interior with sport leather seats and nice stereo, etc.., the bills are adding up now. In the end you would wind up with a $50k Grand Marquis that would have a voided warranty and a $10k book value. Might as well pick up an older ex cop car and swap the drivetrain from an '03-'04 Cobra (its been done).

I think an aftercooled KB 2.1 @ around 10psi, along with cams, SCT, headers and exhaust would make the 425 mark easily for under $5k. Or get crazy and drop $10k on a built motor and turbo setup :hide: . A J-mod on a stock 4R70w will cost under $200 and handle that power level just fine, but with the cash difference between a Grand Marquis and an SRT-8 you could easily splurge and get an Art Carr 4r70w with whatever stall you feel like having for $2500. Throw a factory trac lok in the rear with whatever gears you want for $500.

$35k for a Charger SRT-8 minus $17k for a Grand Marquis, minus $8k for the drivetrain leaves $10k, which is plenty for suspension/brakes/rims/tires and whatever work the warranty will no longer cover. IMO the Grand Marquis has a nicer interior and sterio than the Charger, if you pay the extra for a 300 SRT that's what $5k+ to spend on interior.

Of course it's going to be cheaper to do an old P71 with any engine, or a Marauder for that matter, but since this thread's about new cars..