: My Bluetooth Cell Phone Project Status Update

srracer
12-18-06, 09:42 PM
Well, some unexpected business travel and my wife's grandfather going into hospice has unfortunately set back my progress on this a little more than I had hoped, but tonight I made a few more strides. My little bundle of prototype circuitry successfully communicated with the VPW J1850 bus line. So successfully in fact, that I can now use it the same way I used the little snooping device I bought and I can snoop the bus line and send codes to try things out while viewing it over the computer.

It's interesting, because with just a few more caps and one extra chip, my final design bluetooth connection could also be a code scanner. Cool!

So at this point, I think I've deciphered enough that I could actually hook up the bluetooth and get it to work, but I don't think I have deciphered enough to make some of the niftier things work, like setting any cell phone volume changes into memory.. things like that. With Christmas on its way, I'm uncertain what kind of time I'll have, but I'll be sure to post any updates as I have them. For me, this is a pretty fun project because as a mechanical engineer, I'm learning a bunch of new electronics stuff that I hadn't played with before.

So far I've successfully been able to:
- Communicate both ways with the bus
- Turn a relay on and off from both input wires and from commands via the serial port
- Output serial messages from an input pin on the chip

So now its just a matter of tying it all together!

-Chris

Woody_MI
12-18-06, 09:56 PM
Nice work! What are the chances that it will work with newer V's with Canbus?

srracer
12-18-06, 10:12 PM
It depends if GM keeps the radio tidbits on J1850 or not. This one won't work with Canbus, but there are plenty of microcontrollers that have canbus built in, so I suspect a new version wouldn't be impossible...

What year did they change over? I assume that at least the 2006's are still the same, right?

-Chris

srracer
12-18-06, 10:19 PM
Woody, my quick searching suggests that even the 2007 CTS-V's are using the Class 2 serial, even though the DTS's are not. I'll let you know if I find anything different...

-Chris

Woody_MI
12-18-06, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure, but I have an '07 and that is canbus. Thanks for the update as I don't use Verizon (Cingular 8125) and would like to not have the ear piece in my ear while I'm driving so people will think I'm even wierder than they already do! :)

svassh
12-19-06, 08:19 AM
Very cool, keep us posted.

C-TX-V
12-19-06, 01:12 PM
So at this point, I think I've deciphered enough that I could actually hook up the bluetooth and get it to work, but I don't think I have deciphered enough to make some of the niftier things work, like setting any cell phone volume changes into memory.. things like that.

What bluetooth hands free do you intend to use? Parrot...Motorola...? Beyond the standard handsfree functionality, are you expecting to be able to pass any data from the NAV system...like the contact list? TIA!:thumbsup:

srracer
12-19-06, 02:45 PM
Mine is the Motorola unit, but the unit could conceivably work with any bluetooth kit that has monoaural audio out and a mute line.

As far as using the NAV contact list... that would be interesting, but is a bit beyond my skill set I think. Mostly because Motorola doesn't give you a means of interfacing to its own contact list so I'd have to hack that too. I also think that the Nav and Onstar databases are stored entirely within their own boxes and not passed over the comm line to anything, so I'm not sure how to get that information out.

But to summarize, the most basic functionality of the unit would be to use a mute line from the bluetooth box to mute/pause the radio and then take the audio from the bluetooth and route it over the stereo.

I've thought about wiring in the Onstar microphone if it happens to be compatible to the motorola unit, but I'll have to look into that.

Extended functionality could include a lot of things that interface to the bus....For example, it would be pretty easy to put a serial port connector on this and allow it to double as a code reader... plug the laptop into the connector in the trunk and run some diagnostics.

Or an output for a shift light would be another pretty easy one...

I've also thought about adding things like auto sunroof and window closing (or opening), things like that... but I'm not sure how valuable that would be....and then I'd have to add water sensors or something I guess...

Any other ideas on useful functionality?

-Chris

tx_metabaron
12-19-06, 04:28 PM
But to summarize, the most basic functionality of the unit would be to use a mute line from the bluetooth box to mute/pause the radio and then take the audio from the bluetooth and route it over the stereo.
-Chris

Cool,put me down for one on my 04 V!!!
:yup:

cts-v ls6
12-19-06, 07:05 PM
Me, too, Dude!

With all the highway driving I do ('04 V that'll turn 90k miles this week), and a Corsa catback, I have a hard time hearing on my ghetto cell phone at 70+mph.

Jack

C-TX-V
12-19-06, 08:29 PM
Any other ideas on useful functionality?

-Chris
Mute stereo on incoming calls.
Mute stereo on outgoing calls.
Mute constant during call (i.e. no time-out/mute off).
Route audio to system speakers.
Display the call status on the DVD/NAV.

I have thought about just getting into the cellphone/Onstar module. I am pretty sure it is just like my other GM vehicles...the guts of a standard non-GSM TDMA cell phone. I can't imagine that it will have a digital bus between it and the NAV...am I wrong? If it doesn't have a digital bus then there has to be a mute ground and a line audio. In my Tahoe, I bought an adapter from Logjam Electronics dot com that plugged into the back of the head unit where the Onstar connector went. The adapter allowed me to connect my handsfree. It worked great. BTW, good breadboard work.:thumbsup:

srracer
12-19-06, 11:07 PM
Mute stereo on incoming calls.
Mute stereo on outgoing calls.
Mute constant during call (i.e. no time-out/mute off).
Route audio to system speakers.
Display the call status on the DVD/NAV.

I have thought about just getting into the cellphone/Onstar module. I am pretty sure it is just like my other GM vehicles...the guts of a standard non-GSM TDMA cell phone. I can't imagine that it will have a digital bus between it and the NAV...am I wrong? If it doesn't have a digital bus then there has to be a mute ground and a line audio. In my Tahoe, I bought an adapter from Logjam Electronics dot com that plugged into the back of the head unit where the Onstar connector went. The adapter allowed me to connect my handsfree. It worked great. BTW, good breadboard work.:thumbsup:

I bought the one they make for the Tahoe and tried to adapt it to our cars - that was my first attempt. Unfortunately, our cars are different (no mute line) so the other models won't work.

The Onstar is tied into the serial bus, but only to tell the radio and amplifier that there is a call and to switch over to the Onstar audio. That's what I'm trying to intercept. So basically, it would already do everything on your list except for the last one ... It will most likely just say -Onstar- even though its the handsfree bluetooth.

-Chris

schill32
12-20-06, 11:44 AM
Couldn't you use the "mute" voice command to do this? There is a mute and unmute. Just a thought.

-Tim

Black Sunshine
12-20-06, 03:08 PM
There are no voice commands in the CTS-V except for dialing a call.

Chris, BIG TIME KUDOS!! Thanks for taking the time and making the effort in this area. I've just about giving up finding solutions short of working out some kinda swap with my GM guru on a new bluetooth unit for the '05.

One thing that really bugs me and wonder if it would be within this realm is the actual graphics on the screen. You'd think with a full color screen GM woulda had someone do some much nicer and more detailed work with it. I'd sure like to be able to load a nice graphics/gif set in to replace the powder blue stuff.

schill32
12-20-06, 04:10 PM
Sorry, still learning all this stuff (just became a CTS owner this week). In my 03' there are a ton of voice commands. Could it be because of the nav and onstar then maybe? Sure would seem the easier code to grab off the bus though.

srracer
12-20-06, 06:03 PM
Shill32 - The V doesn't have a voice command button on the steering wheel like the regular CTS does. THat said, Reed has shown that you can enable that function with a little home brewing. And to be clear, that 'mute' function, is part of what happens when the Onstar is used (and what will occur when my adapter is used).

But there is another aspect - when Onstar comes on, it doesn't just mute - it also sends commands to the Bose amplifier to switch the audio input to the Onstar audio. And it also changes the fade and EQ settings.

So, sending the mute command alone would be fine if you want to use the external speaker that comes with the bluetooth unit, but I'm planning to send the audio through the stereo just like Onstar - which requires a fair bit more decoding.

-Chris

srracer
12-20-06, 06:07 PM
Gene - I'd love to play with the screen, but I think that's beyond my capabilities... You'd need the firmware to the Nav to hack.

Now, on the other hand.. one thing that I know I could now do is create a secondary screen (like a little one on the ashtray drawer) and show a bunch of the INFO values together.. I hate having to choose one... Personally I'd love a little screen that could show external temp, instant and avg mileage, range, and maybe one or two more...

But for my own tastes, I'd have to find an LCD screen that matched our interior pretty dang close before I took that on. I wouldn't want it to look like a hack job.

-Chris

Black Sunshine
12-20-06, 09:10 PM
I was sitting in my car this evening waiting to meet some business associates and the only true solution I could come up with was simply yanking the onstar and wiring up a small dash or trunk mounted PC chassis and a touch screen sized to fit the dash hole and just grab the inputs to the chassis. (BTW, anyone have any success unlocking an onstar unit?) Instant bluetooth, instant graphics capabilities, telephony, music, personal contact software, GPS, real time engine monitoring, data logging, tuning, etc. This is what I've been working toward with my Impala for almost a year now. All the components are out there. Just some time and effort to put a good package together.

That bein said, I'm still rootin for ya!!

This is all about OnStar keeping their proprietary system propreitary and GM keeping us out of their firmware/software. A terrible missed op for GM. Like the corp. racin teams, innovative private vehicle owners showing them the way (kickin n screamin).

schill32
12-21-06, 09:50 AM
Chris, I'm curious to see what would happen if you "sniffed" the line on a voice reg. system for the mute and unmute commands. Maybe you've already done this, but perhaps it would be a standard message on the bus that would work on the V's as well? Just a thought. Btw, what are you using to snif the bus?

Personally, I wouldn't mind using the supplied speaker. Less wiring, but once you figured out the full fledged system, I'm sure I'd change up. But till then it'd be usable at least.

C-TX-V
12-21-06, 11:26 AM
And to be clear, that 'mute' function, is part of what happens when the Onstar is used (and what will occur when my adapter is used).

But there is another aspect - when Onstar comes on, it doesn't just mute - it also sends commands to the Bose amplifier to switch the audio input to the Onstar audio. And it also changes the fade and EQ settings.
-Chris

I'd be happy with that!...Thanks, Chris.