: 1989 Caddy Brougham rear air shocks removal & install.

AElayyat
12-18-06, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, how has everyone been? Its been a little while since I posted due to being busy at work. I need a little help/advice on replacing the rear air shocks on my 89 Brougham. I already purchased the shocks and they came with the air lines, bolts & nuts (for the bottom mount). Is there any special instructions needed to look out for when replacing them? Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.

jayoldschool
12-19-06, 09:09 AM
Get the car as high in the air as possible. Use sturdy jack stands (or a lift if possible!). Remove the lower shock bolt on one side. You will need long extensions to get at the top bolts, and you have to put a wrench on the nuts. Long skinny arms will help. Taking out the spring will give you more room. Put the new top bolts in upside down if you can - this will make install easier.

What kind of shocks did you go with? OE Delcos? I am going to do mine on my 81 FWB coupe in the spring. rockauto.com has a good deal on a packaged pair of the Delco shocks.

Jason.

AElayyat
12-19-06, 12:37 PM
Get the car as high in the air as possible. Use sturdy jack stands (or a lift if possible!). Remove the lower shock bolt on one side. You will need long extensions to get at the top bolts, and you have to put a wrench on the nuts. Long skinny arms will help. Taking out the spring will give you more room. Put the new top bolts in upside down if you can - this will make install easier.

What kind of shocks did you go with? OE Delcos? I am going to do mine on my 81 FWB coupe in the spring. rockauto.com has a good deal on a packaged pair of the Delco shocks.

Jason.

Thanks for the tips Jason. I did look through my tool box and I don't have all of the necessary tools for this job (the long extentions, etc). I ended up having the Pep Boys Install the shocks for $50. And the shocks I went with are the air shocks by Monroe, they cost me $70 for the pair, including tax. So the whole job ended up costing $120.