: rattles

Cluny
12-18-06, 03:47 PM
I have a 05 STS V6 and just love the car.

However ,I am anoyed by a rattle behind the dash cover above the radio, behind the CD unit and in or about the small in dash glove compartment.

In addtion, above in the sun roof mechanisim slighlty behind the driver postion there is also a persistant little rattle, sounds like a loose nut.

Wonder if any one has same problem or better still a solution.

Thanks

don_mccarter
12-18-06, 09:45 PM
check other post

don_mccarter
12-18-06, 09:48 PM
I have a 2005 V8 STS, it is an excellent automobile.
Two years ago I had a rattle that appeared to be coming from the dash. The dealers service department removed
the radio, insulated the area and reinstalled it, it still
rattled. They gave me a loaner and kept mine for two
days looking for the source of the noise.
The took the radio, cd player and glove box out, it
still rattled.
The service manager put three guys in the car and
had them drive it around until one of them could pinpoint
the area the rattle was coming from. It turned out to be the headliner hitting on the front sun roof frame. The
noise appeared to bounce down the windshield and sounded like a dash noise. They insulated that area and the noise was gone.
Try pushing on the headliner at the front edge of the sunroof and see if the rattle stops.

jhschlak
12-19-06, 06:09 PM
I have the rattle by the cd player too. I need to figure out some way to brace it better. If I push against it while driving the rattle stops.

corvette00
12-20-06, 08:22 AM
My 05 has the same rattles you described. I figured it was something I was going to have to live with. I am not a big fan of allowing dealers to tear apart dashes or roof liners.

don_mccarter
12-20-06, 10:47 AM
My 05 has the same rattles you described. I figured it was something I was going to have to live with. I am not a big fan of allowing dealers to tear apart dashes or roof liners.
Allowing the dealer to make the repair was the lesser of two evils. The rattle had to go.

997tt
12-23-06, 08:49 AM
i just can't stand the rattling in my 05 sts v8... it just does not stop, every bump is a different rattle. I can pin point where it's coming from, i just have to press on it when i want a certain rattle to stop...
on the same subject, i hear EVERYTHING in my trunk. This is not a caddilac to put a body in...Is this car hollow? What is with that tiny interior space in that big mama car? /end rant

Still love it though, i guess its a love/hate relationship.

don_mccarter
12-23-06, 10:48 PM
i just can't stand the rattling in my 05 sts v8... it just does not stop, every bump is a different rattle. I can pin point where it's coming from, i just have to press on it when i want a certain rattle to stop...
on the same subject, i hear EVERYTHING in my trunk. This is not a caddilac to put a body in...Is this car hollow? What is with that tiny interior space in that big mama car? /end rant

Still love it though, i guess its a love/hate relationship.
I find that all cars have noises when I wear my hearing aids. A few days ago I was amazed as to how quiet my STS was, then I realized that I had left my HA's at home,
grin.