: Signal Light Change

Stuck
12-18-06, 01:25 PM
I've just had the RF signal light bulb changed on 2004 SRX V/8 at a cost of $333.16 (CDN). The dealer Jack Carter Chevrolet.Cadillac ( CALGARY AB) says that is the right price as job takes 2.0 to 2.5 hours ( flat rate ??) and requires removal of the front bumber fascia and grille to access the lamp assembly. The operators manual indicates all that is required is removal of of the protection shield by pulling out the push-pins on the underside of the shield - if on the right side (passengers) one must also remove the fasteners that attach the front fascia extension panel in the wheel house. A couple of screws must then be removed to release the lamp assembly from the fascia.

The Service Manager (Jim McSorley) I talked with says their charges are correct and that one cannot put faith in what the operators manual indicates.

I don't mind paying full rates for service on my vehicles but $333.16 to change a $6.30 bulb just seems somewhat out of line so I would like to hear from someone else in this regard. Maybe I'm all wet and that is in fact the cost - so please help me to put my mind at ease. I doubt if the dealer will change their position but again I will feel better in knowing the truth and at least advising other owners of SRX'S what they have to look forward to should they burn out a front signal light bulb.

syrob@MSN.COM
12-18-06, 02:23 PM
I've just had the RF signal light bulb changed on 2004 SRX V/8 at a cost of $333.16 (CDN). The dealer Jack Carter Chevrolet.Cadillac ( CALGARY AB) says that is the right price as job takes 2.0 to 2.5 hours ( flat rate ??) and requires removal of the front bumber fascia and grille to access the lamp assembly. The operators manual indicates all that is required is removal of of the protection shield by pulling out the push-pins on the underside of the shield - if on the right side (passengers) one must also remove the fasteners that attach the front fascia extension panel in the wheel house. A couple of screws must then be removed to release the lamp assembly from the fascia.

The Service Manager (Jim McSorley) I talked with says their charges are correct and that one cannot put faith in what the operators manual indicates.

I don't mind paying full rates for service on my vehicles but $333.16 to change a $6.30 bulb just seems somewhat out of line so I would like to hear from someone else in this regard. Maybe I'm all wet and that is in fact the cost - so please help me to put my mind at ease. I doubt if the dealer will change their position but again I will feel better in knowing the truth and at least advising other owners of SRX'S what they have to look forward to should they burn out a front signal light bulb.
That should be under warranty, NO?? There is a known defect in the asembly that should be covered by a recal/warranty.
SYROB

TSS
12-18-06, 03:28 PM
1. yes should be under warrantee if car still is under warrantee
2. I hope you at least had them change both so you don't pay twice for the labor!!!

EddieSRX
12-18-06, 07:42 PM
I had the right front replaced today under warranty and the same bulb was replaced 8 months ago for the same reason. They told me today that the bulbs are the problem. They are made in China and there is a quality problem. Get your money back... As far as I'm concerned these bulbs should be covered for life.

btimmer
12-19-06, 07:40 AM
I replaced my RF signal bulb on my '04 about a month ago. I did it myself. Need to jack up the front, remove the wheel/tire, remove the inner shield (plastic push pins), then remove the 4 bolts/nuts that hold the signal assy. Took me about 45 min. I guess I never tried to have he dealer do it, but maybe they would have taken care of it under warranty. Based on the time it took me in my garage on the floor, 2.0-2.5 hrs is definately excessive. You have been ripped off!!!!

v8srx
12-19-06, 01:10 PM
I have had the bulbs changed several times under warranty - typically it takes an hour or so. I think there was a recall or a service bullitin as they changed another part which made the bulb blow last time and I havent had a problem ever since. I think it has been discussed somewhere in this forum -

Stuck
12-19-06, 04:54 PM
Thanks to all who have responded to my posting to date on a signal light change.
First I would confirm my vehicle is well off warrantee. So the ball is in my court. To btimmer who changed a bulb himself in about 45 minutes - by it appears following the procedure set out in the operators manual - this confirms I was ripped off by the dealer. One would think a GM trained mechanic who is charged out at $112.00 per hour would know the proper method of changing this bulb. To TSS I wish I had thought of changing both bulbs at the same time ( trust me to miss that opportunity)
I would sure like for someone to confirm to me if there is a flat rate posted by GM or say Chilton ( spelling ??) for this job that I could refer to if further discussions are held with the dealer. I have indicated prior the Service Mgr told me the flat rate was 2.0 to 2.5 hours but he did not quote his source or offer to show me anything to support same.
Thanks again for all your input.

Smokin' SRX
12-23-06, 12:11 PM

Hi! Write a polite but firm letter to Cadillac detailing how this a design/bulb flaw (based on how many people have had to do it, and request a "Courtesy Adustment Credit" to the bill!! Enclose a copy! Explain how "disappointed" you were to find a simple maintenance was so expensive. You will most likey get a partial credit or coupon discount on future service. Don't forget to praise the car (you do have high mileage) and the dealers service!! (They did fix it and hopefully guaranty it!?)

Invest the $.39! :)
Worked once for me with Chrysler!! ($400. fuel problem!) Good Luck!

pottermx
01-04-07, 11:51 AM
Ain't nothin' but a Gm thang, baby.

I love my SRX, but HATE all these "speed bumps" with parts made in China. Both my headlights will sporadically individually not light up. I get to do "the Fonz" on them by hitting the assembly. I'll get 1-2 weeks out of this method. I said to my friend (a GM mechanic) "Fine American engineering." His reply was, "Made in China". When I checked the wiring harnesses for both headlights, he was right. Back to the turn signal thing. I had my friend change out my turn signal at his garage (he's a specialty GM mechanic for Corvettes, not a GM dealer). He charged me 1/2 hour ($60) plus the part for the turn signal because "he was embarrassed it took so long". You guessed it ... it had taken him 2 1/2 hours. He did not have the service manual. On my Pontiac's he'd typically NOT charge for this type of thing if I was getting a full tune up, but because it had taken SOOOO long, he needed to charge me something.

Can we doc the pay of the engineer who created this little nightmare? Isn't it sad that GMs own die-hard mechanics are embarassed to work on a vehicle?

I've been looking for LED replacements(10,000 hours) for these bulbs. Does anyone have a source for anything like this???

TSS
01-04-07, 01:52 PM
Just to add again - it should be covered under warrantee.

I just had a burnt out brake light bulb replaced on my wife's CPO 2001 SLS for free under warrantee. Yes, you read that right, a 2001! AND, I got a 2007 DTS loaner car. The difference between dealers is amazing.