: What's a mint 76 Fleetwood Talisman worth?

Wiseguy2
12-18-06, 10:51 AM
Guys,

I have a line on a 76 Fleetwood Talisman. Black with Red Velour interior. I'm told it has a moonroof. 2 owner car, 35k original miles, supposedly in show condition.

Any ideas as to value? I was told the guy wants $9k, seems well worth it to me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-06, 10:54 AM
$9,000 sounds perfectly fair to my ears, especially in that condition.

gdwriter
12-18-06, 12:45 PM
According to NADA Guide (http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&c=12&m=1032&d=1784&y=1976&vi=65061&o=4814&z=97351&da=-1), the Talisman is a 20% premium over the standard Fleetwood. Low retail is $3,180, average is $7,230 and high is $10,380. So $9,000 sounds reasonable, especially with the low mileage. If you get it, post pics.

bicentennialcadillac
12-18-06, 02:28 PM
You may get one for far less here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/92279-talisman-interesting-thought-3.html

Bro-Ham
12-18-06, 09:54 PM
Hi,

1976 Cadillac sales literature states Talisman models only had dark blue or black interiors. If the 1976 Fleetwood you are looking at has a red interior it is almost guaranteed to be a standard Fleetwood Brougham since even the d'Elegance interior in 1976 was not available in red.

In 1975 the Talisman interior color choices were gold, rosewood, black, and dark blue. I'm not sure of the 1974 Talisman interior colors but I know they had dark blue and I've seen a light orange and the brochure idicates four interior colors were available. Hope this helps!

Dave

brougham
12-18-06, 10:00 PM
Thats probably about the very most it can be worth. Theres nothing special about those years except for the people who like them.

Wiseguy2
12-18-06, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. I saw that one on eBay but it's a lot rougher than what I want. A friend of mine in Florida found the car. Here's what I have found out.

It's Black with a Black interior, not red. It apparently has a red pinstripe. oops.

Totally rust-free. It has a glass moonroof so I assume it's the AstroRoof.

2 things throw me tho. These used Carbs, right? Apparently I am told that it has a badge claiming "fuel injection" right under the Cadillac script on the back of the car. I thought that only Sevilles had FI?

Also, the steering wheel appears to have an airbag in it. I remember these cars having a 3-spoke steering wheel, this one has a 4-spoke wheel with an enormous horn pad in it from what was told to me.

So is this either a hacked up car or perhaps a fuel injected one? And I am assuming if it has an airbag it's one of those aftermarket jobs I saw in the 90s.

bicentennialcadillac
12-18-06, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys. I saw that one on eBay but it's a lot rougher than what I want. A friend of mine in Florida found the car. Here's what I have found out.

It's Black with a Black interior, not red. It apparently has a red pinstripe. oops.

Totally rust-free. It has a glass moonroof so I assume it's the AstroRoof.

2 things throw me tho. These used Carbs, right? Apparently I am told that it has a badge claiming "fuel injection" right under the Cadillac script on the back of the car. I thought that only Sevilles had FI?

Also, the steering wheel appears to have an airbag in it. I remember these cars having a 3-spoke steering wheel, this one has a 4-spoke wheel with an enormous horn pad in it from what was told to me.

So is this either a hacked up car or perhaps a fuel injected one? And I am assuming if it has an airbag it's one of those aftermarket jobs I saw in the 90s.

That car is absolutely loaded. The airbag and EFI were both options on the FB that year.

A great car is sounding better and better ...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-06, 10:28 PM

Whoa! Sounds like it's a super rare one! EFI was indeed available on the 500s in 1976. It was the first year it was available in the Cadillac big block. IIRC, it takes horsepower from the 4bbl's 190 to 215, and the torque increases from 360 lb/ft to 400 I believe!

And yes, the airbag was a factory option. Very, very rare indeed. I believe 1974 was the 1st year that was available.

IIRC, Bro-ham had a '76 Talisman with the airbags and EFI, I'm not positive it was a Talisman, but I do believe it was EFI, and I'm positive it had the airbags.

bicentennialcadillac
12-18-06, 10:30 PM
It probably has Track-Master too. Sounds like someone went wild with the options on this one.

Bro-Ham
12-18-06, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I had a 76 standard Fleetwood Brougham with airbag option, no fuel injection, only 9k miles when I purchased it back in 2002. Sold it the same year with 12k miles for $12k.

Airbags were first available on full size Cads in 1974 and offered again in 1975 and 1976. Fuel injection was available on full size Cads starting in 1975 on the 500 V8. Seville had fuel injection on the 350 from the beginning in 1975.

I'm interested in knowing more about this car too, if you find you don't want it yourself, and it checks out as nice as it is described. The 1976 cars are fabulous drivers and are as long as a football field and ride indescribably well!

Good luck!

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-19-06, 10:24 PM
Say Dave, how would a '76 Fleetwood compare in terms of ride to your beautifiul '91 Silver Spirit II?

Wiseguy2
12-20-06, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the help!

Spoke with my friend today, played some phone tag. I'm flying down to Florida to look at it next week. If it's nice, I have a reservation for it on the AutoTrain and it's coming back to Jersey. From what was told to me, the car was ordered as a Talisman because "It was the fanciest top of the line Caddy" and that it was ordred with "Every single option bar none".

So we'll see.... Sounds like I might have stumbled across a really rare car, I wasn't aware they made them with EFI.. thought it was just a 4 Barrel carb!

I did some checking.. these had Dual Airbags? 30 years ago? Wow!

Bro-Ham
12-20-06, 09:19 AM
Hi Wiseguy,

Good luck with the purchase! I don't think you could get a more over the top Cadillac from the 70's. Have fun with it if you get it.

Chad: I liked the ride of my '76 Fleetwood. Very smooth and comfortable to drive and the handling was not bad but I'll admit I never drove it fast or tried to take corners quickly. I had XL tires on it which eliminated some of the side-to-side motion. The Silver Spur is also a long wheelbase car and has electronic ride control in addition to the rear suspension riding on gas spheres so it delivers the traditional Rolls-Royce velvet smooth ride. As a European car, it is designed to drive at high speeds, and has V-rated tires, and the variable shock damping of the electronic ride crontrol lets the car ride smoothly but stiffens instantly for corners so the car always feels controlled. I like to look at old Cads more than I like to drive them and the RR, as you may expect, is fabulous to drive.

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-06, 06:53 PM
So Dave, basically, the Silver Spur rides as good as the '76 Fleetwood, but handles better because it has those electronic gizmos to stabilize the car thru the turns and because the car was designed from the onset to be a high speed cruiser. Am I right there?

Bro-Ham
12-23-06, 11:36 PM
Hi Chad, The RR rides great but also has some semblance of handling. A 1976 Fleetwood is all about the ride. We're comparing a 30 year old Cadillac to a 15 year old Rolls-Royce. Both cars are over the top and qualify as parade floats. The RR is way more fun to arrive in, in my opinion. Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-06, 12:16 AM
Ah, gotcha. :)

Wiseguy2
12-24-06, 05:44 PM
"Handling" and "1976 Fleetwood" go together about as well as oil and water. Question on the Spur.. what year is it? I had an 87 for a short period of time, sold it for a succession of Turbo Rs.. now those are a hoot, especially with the overboost kit :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-06, 07:14 PM
If I may jump in, I believe his Spur was an 84. The Spirit II that I saw was a '91.

Bro-Ham
01-02-07, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I've been reading lots of posts on this forum comparing Cads to RR's and it's fun to read all the opinions. I'm a self admitted car-aholic and my two favorite car brands are Cadillac and Rolls-Royce. For me, it's easy to get hooked on the long, low, and lovely '76 Fleetwood Brougham. I've enjoyed seeing really old Cads - from the very first models through my favorites, the coach built Fleetwoods made through 1940. The '58 Fleetwood is another classic to my eye, and I get equally excited about the tailored look of a '64 Fleetwood and the evolution of that model to the 1969 and 1970 models. The 1975-76 Fleetwood is one of my all time favorites from childhood and still gets in my thoughts today. It's my feeling the 1977-79 full-size Cads were the last truly great Cadillacs that were thoughtfully engineered and fit the era they were made for perfectly and I'm happy the brand is finally starting to come back today.

As painful as it was to watch Cadillac stop leading in the early 1980's, I remember falling in love with two cars in the seventh grade in 1980-81 which were the all new 1981 Mercedes-Benz S-Class and the also new for 1981 Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit and Silver Spur and the more understated Bentley Mulsanne. Right now I have a 1991 Silver Spur II and Crewe cars I've previously enjoyed are 1989 Bentley Turbo R, two 1980 Silver Shadow II's, and both a 1984 and 1986 Silver Spirit. I agree the Turbo R is a car like no other.

Right now I'm sitting at home watching the repeat of the Gerald Ford funeral and all the talk of the 1970's is making me dream of a '76 Fleetwood. Only in America could a car like that ever have been produced! I love it!

My current list of contemporary favorites includes the over-the-top RR Phantom, Cadillac Escalade ESV (the Suburban!), Bentley Arnage R, Bentley Azure, Maserati Quattroporte. I'm happy a Cadillac finally makes my list of cars I get excited about! Seeing the super long extended Escalade totally reminds me of the monster '76 Fleetwood! Again, I love it! America is great!!!

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-02-07, 11:48 PM
Dave, you're the king!

Bowser
01-24-07, 12:55 PM
curious to know the outcome ...

rdwyer
12-03-07, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to reach Wiseguy2.

He had found a 1976 Fleetwood Talisman, and according to his last message (from June 2006) he was going down to Florida to look at the car.

Does anyone know what happened? Did he purchase the car?

Was it the real deal?

I would like to reach Wiseguy2 if possible...Thank you!

z06bigbird
12-03-07, 11:45 PM
Have fun finding parts for some of those options.

Nice horsepower, though.

z06bigbird
12-03-07, 11:48 PM
You could buy a lot of a low mileage LeSabre or SDV with low miles for that kind of $$. I believe that engine REQUIRES leaded premium gasoline too, or lots of spark knock on hills. You could adjust timing and lose power.

Then, again, I have fallen in love with many older cars and women.

bicentennialcadillac
12-03-07, 11:51 PM
Old cars and young women ... does it get any better?

My_favorite_Brougham
12-04-07, 12:18 AM
You could buy a lot of a low mileage LeSabre or SDV with low miles for that kind of $$. I believe that engine REQUIRES leaded premium gasoline too, or lots of spark knock on hills. You could adjust timing and lose power.

Remember that lead also lubricates the engine components since the metals they had back then would burn up/warp with today's combustion temperatures. So I think you have to use it all the time no matter what.

And no, Giovanni, it doesn't get any better than that. :thumbsup:

bicentennialcadillac
12-04-07, 07:59 AM
For the record, the '76 cars are designed for unleaded fuel.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-04-07, 03:20 PM
Well, then for the leaded gas cars. ;)

Were there Caddy 500s that were leaded while some that weren't? I think the switch was implemented around '73-ish, but I know there were Caddy 500s in 1970.