: ls2 will not fire up, any suggestions>?

dvandentop
12-17-06, 10:19 PM
here is a video
http://sio.midco.net/dvandentop2/MOV02765.MPG (http://sio.midco.net/dvandentop2/MOV02765.MPG)

just put this ls2 longblock into my 05 cts-v, everything is plugged in correctly and all just cannot get the motor to fire up.

fuel is strong @ the fuel pressure rails.
all the coils are plugged in and seated properly.
(anyway to test for spark?)
cranks over but just doesnt want to hit spark or something to keep going. :thepan:

any suggestions?

thanks alot

Imperator
12-17-06, 11:52 PM
How did you wire up the engine? Are you using the LS6 components in the LS2 block? If so, what did you do for the knock sensors?

Have access to a Tech2? You're going to have to perform a crankshaft position relearn procedure. I think the actual term is CASE (Crank Angle Sense Error) Relearn.

rand49er
12-18-06, 06:37 AM
You've gotten that car a long way from where you were with it a few months ago, I must say. Putting an LS2 into where an LS6 was with that monsterous wiring harness you had laying all over the floor? ... that's over my head. :worship:

svassh
12-18-06, 08:32 AM
Have you got any kind of OBDII Tool to check the PCM for errors? As for the crankshaft relearn you can do that yourself with tuning software like EFILive or HPTuners, cheaper than Tec2 or just pay the dealer to do it. In the end it may be a better investment to buy the software, you installed the engine so the software should not be too difficult for you assuming you have a laptop.

Edit: I would also suggest you post on LS1Tech.com as well, some real gear heads over there.

Drift-caddy
12-18-06, 08:44 AM
here is a video
http://sio.midco.net/dvandentop2/MOV02765.MPG (http://sio.midco.net/dvandentop2/MOV02765.MPG)

just put this ls2 longblock into my 05 cts-v, everything is plugged in correctly and all just cannot get the motor to fire up.

fuel is strong @ the fuel pressure rails.
all the coils are plugged in and seated properly.
(anyway to test for spark?)
cranks over but just doesnt want to hit spark or something to keep going. :thepan:

any suggestions?

thanks alot

Yea, tow it down here. What PCM are you using.

dvandentop
12-18-06, 09:13 AM
using the stock 05 pcm

i am using the stock ls6 knock sensors mounted to the side of the block as suggested on ls1tech.

no access to tech 2, i might have to tow it to the dealer to get this one done? would prefer to not have to do that. might buy hp tuners since that has gotten cheaper then before.

can i do that reset with auto tap @ all??? I have that and ls1 edit from my vette.

svassh
12-18-06, 09:57 AM
I would think you will need to load an LS2 OS into it or get an 06 LS2 PCM.

dvandentop
12-18-06, 10:52 AM
no you can use 05 pcm due to it uses all the same sensors and an extnsion harness for the cam sensor in the front, that is the only difference.

it has been done many times before, like with the 402 ls2 motors in camaro/firebirds/vettes/

i have autotap but it doesnt look like i can do any relearn of the crank with that. also the friend that has that is outta town on business all week anyways :(

wonder how long the pcm remembers the crank sensor position, everything was sitting for a few months

dvandentop
12-18-06, 05:34 PM
well went and worked on it some more today, verifed the cam and crank sensors were plugged in correctly.

took a plug wire and a spark plug out, tried to see arcing but didnt see any at all?? I checked all the fuses in the underhood box. I am out of ideas.

the motor has all new NGK tr55 in them
are the coils bad possibly or what fuse controls all the coils?

i checked the odd/even bank injector/coil fuses and they looked fine

c5racr1
12-18-06, 10:26 PM
check your ground wires on the back of the heads. check the coil connections to see if they got power. are your plugs wet?

dvandentop
12-18-06, 10:35 PM
ground wire is good on the back of the passenger, head, i think the problem is that after looking @ the service manual i have th engine oil level plug in and the crank sensor plug in mixed up!!!

doh!

hopefully that fixes the issues, the plugs didnt seem wet, i am for sure the above switcheroo would keep the engine from starting though right?

DILLIGAF
12-18-06, 10:44 PM
I hope you get her going soon,what a project!

dvandentop
12-18-06, 10:53 PM
werd tell me about it! we are on the downhill slump now though for sure once i get it started!

then the biggest task is just getting the seats working!
and bleeding the clutch (that wont be fun!)

DILLIGAF
12-18-06, 11:06 PM
My clutch needs bled too,I let the fluid get way to low.I think i'll play stupid and take it to the dealer.I certainly don't have the sack or knowledge to undertake such a project.Good luck bro!!!

ewill3rd
12-19-06, 12:28 PM
This could really be anything. It's impossible to diagnose a car by "it cranks but it won't start".
It could be any one of at least a dozen things, even more since you did an engine swap.
You need some tools to properly diagnose this problem.
First, to check for spark go to your local parts store and ask for an ST 125.
It looks like this http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-2757.html

Connect that to a plug wire and clip the clip onto a good ground.
Crank sensor relearn has nothing to do with why a car won't start.
It will turn on the check engine light on a fresh PCM and it should be done, once you get it running. It won't keep the car from starting.
Checking engine grounds is an excellent suggestion, also look to see that no wires got pinched in anything during assembly.
Seeing fuel spray out of the schrader valve when you push it doesn't mean you have "good fuel" either. A pressure gage is required to make sure you have sufficient pressure.
A scan tool that will let you read live data would be good, you can look at things like the cam and crank sensors to be sure they show readings.

You need three things for combustion, spark, fuel, and compression.
Eliminate the ones you can.
Let me know what you find.