: Tire Siping

Rey
12-17-06, 12:39 PM
Tire siping has been around a long time. My understanding is that it first appeared in trucks as a means to extend tire life. Here in the Pacific Northwest it is being promoted by Les Schwab, a large very independent tire dealer. They charge $12-15 to sipe each tire, and I think I will have it done on my summer tires. My winter Dunlops come factory-siped.
check www.lesschwab/siping.asp (http://www.lesschwab/siping.asp).

ChicagoCTS32
12-17-06, 12:42 PM
I doubt it would extend tire life. It has been used to give tires better grip in slick/icy/snow conditions. It adds an extra spot on the tire where it can grip. If anything, I think it will REDUCE tire life because it creates more places where the tire grips on a sharp edge and therefore causes more stress on that spot. I think it also reduces dry performance because there is less contact with the road.

RedGalant2k1
12-17-06, 12:47 PM
I'd recommend against aftermarket siping.

Besides voiding your tires warranty it will decrease dry performance, and decrease life expentancy of your tires.

If the manufacturer intended for more siping they would have done it.

kueh
12-18-06, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't agree with you siping your tires and I'll tell you why in a bit. You already have a winter tires, why would you want to do that to your summer tires. The only reason why you want to get them sipped is to get more traction for the rainy days.

Also, siping will not decrease life on the tires. If you have your tires properly inflated, it's still the same amount of rubber that's touching the pavement. It's just that when the slits open up when you're driving, it going to wear down the side of the slits alone with the top surface of your ties. So no matter what you're still wearing out the same amount of tire treads. It will actually HELP your tire life expectancy, due to the fact that your tires will run cooler.

If you have performance summer tires, you want them to heat up and get sticky. So that's why I wouldn't sip them. Not because siping is not good, but siping is not good for performance summer tires.

V-Max
12-18-06, 09:03 AM
Sipes create heat and may lower speed rating. Tires are rated on a speed category based on tread design and load rating. Changing the characteristics of the tread design will lower both.

Norm

RedGalant2k1
12-24-06, 11:09 PM
Sipes create heat and may lower speed rating. Tires are rated on a speed category based on tread design and load rating. Changing the characteristics of the tread design will lower both.

Norm

X1

Standard sipes also allow the tread block to flex, decreasing the tires life expentancy.

Traction = Heat

Heat = Tire wear.