: shifting from neutral to 2nd - 40mph

caddyVkid
12-17-06, 09:16 AM
When im going around 40mph and I want to downshift into a turn, I usually brake and shift into second simultaneously... whenever I do this in my V I feel the whole car shake briefly as I shift into 2nd. What is this? I used to have an 94 acura integra and never felt anything like it.

50 4Ever
12-17-06, 12:53 PM
When im going around 40mph and I want to downshift into a turn, I usually brake and shift into second simultaneously... whenever I do this in my V I feel the whole car shake briefly as I shift into 2nd. What is this? I used to have an 94 acura integra and never felt anything like it.

It's called a big engine. If you match engine speed with wheel speed by increasing the RPM's by about 500-700, you will feel nothing.

If you don't increase engine RPM you will feel a jolt when you let the clutch out caused by the drivetrain matching engine and wheel speed in a very short time.

A lugnut on the V takes almost as much torque (100#) as the Integra generates (121#).

:thumbsup:

ChicagoCTS32
12-17-06, 12:57 PM
You gotta blip that throttle with the heel of your right foot to match RPM's like 50 said.

CTSVelocity
12-17-06, 04:35 PM
Ditto on everything mentioned above... you need to heel-toe, especially if in neutral cause your rpms will basically be at idle speed. Your rpms will be much higher if you were going 40 in 2nd.

It is kind of difficult in these cars because of the pedal size and the brake and gas pedal offsets, but it can be done.

Take a look at this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-3xIZK-Bk

Edit: You don't have to double clutch like the driver in the video, just showing you to illustrate the rev matching he does when downshifting.

urbanski
12-17-06, 05:35 PM
and the 800-lb flywheel

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 10:17 AM
Yup, just watch your rpms and stab the gas a little before the shift and you'll be smooth in no time. :dance:

Dennisscars
12-18-06, 10:25 AM
If your cruising around town just re-engage the clutch on the downshift with same speed and finesse as starting the car from a stop and it will be smooth, must easier than NASCAR shifting.

Unless of course your banging around town like Luna then you'll need race shoes and better pedals.. :Poke: