: Bad Pads and Rotors on 2005 SRX RWD V6

coqui007
12-17-06, 03:17 AM
Took my SRX in to the dealer last friday and was told that I need all new pads and rotors on a car that has less then 24,000 miles. On top of that the pads and rotors were fine at 21,000 miles check up. I don't know how they can go bad in 3,000 miles. Has anyone had this happen to them? I am 49 years old and this is my first GM car. I love the car but if I need brakes every 13,000 miles this will be my last GM car.

keeton
12-17-06, 05:37 PM
If you are the least bit mechanically inclinded, the pads and rotors are very easy to inspect yourself if you remove the wheel. Even if you don't remove the wheel, you can visually inspect the rotors to see if there is any deep gouging that would require replacement.

It is possible to wear out brakes prematurely if you do a lot of stop and go driving. Unfortunately, it is also possible that a dealer may have a shelf full of brake pads they need to sell.

Before anyone tells me that I need new pads, I would reserve the right to check them myself. Premature pad wear has not been a chronic problem with the SRX.

btimmer
12-18-06, 10:37 AM
I had to have my backs replaced at 19k miles because of noise. They told me the pads were too hard and "chattered" during light braking which caused the noise. They said the fronts were OK. Then at 21K, the fronts started making the same noise. Again, they replaced the pads and turned the rotors. They wanted to charge me for it but I persisted and convinced them that it should be a warranty issue. If you give in, they will charge you. If you persist, they should repair it under warranty. Has been good ever since and now at 29K but now the car is in the shop because the transmission is being replaced???

Smokin' SRX
12-23-06, 11:34 AM
Hi! I have AWD V-8 and 21K miles. Just did ALL 4 wheels brakes, just ahead of rotor damage in about another 1K miles! $450 at Dealer/ $400 at local Mavis shop. I went w' Dealer.
Seems this heavy SUV (4500 pounds) stops beautifully w/ its 4 wheel disc and "Panic Assist " feature! I notice it every time I drive my other 4 wheel disc vehicles and see/feel the difference!

You don't mention if your miles are local/highway, but I can guess! My wife and I love this sporty truck and unfortunately drive it like a sport car! Brakes are magnificent, but....................we tend to fully utilize them with late, smooth, rapid deceleration WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING it!!! It's a pleasure! Like having a fantastic music system........you tend to more fully/often play it and use more electricity in doing so! ( no offense intended !)

Only solution (w/4500 pound truck!) is to drive more "ahead" of yourself and stop enjoying these magnificent, high power brakes in what's likely mostly LOCAL , stop and go drivng :)

Good luck!

RANGER 66
12-23-06, 10:49 PM
I just replaced the pads, turned the rotors, and replaced the sensors on my 05 with only 24000 miles. This seems kinda quick for this tye of service. I remember going well over 60,000 miles in my Honda before I had to get a brake job.

john d
12-24-06, 12:31 AM
I just replaced the pads, turned the rotors, and replaced the sensors on my 05 with only 24000 miles. This seems kinda quick for this tye of service. I remember going well over 60,000 miles in my Honda before I had to get a brake job.
What kind of sensors? How many replaced and why?
Thanks

Smokin' SRX
12-24-06, 12:16 PM
My brother-in-laws Chevy Cavalier went 70K miles! Light car, lots of long highway to work! Srx is a pretty hefty whip! :D

Having just done it, I am driving more neutrally now (read: less agressively than I would enjoy!)
Have A Merry & Happy!

donjumpsuit
12-25-06, 01:46 AM
2005 AWD V8 SRX

18,500 miles

All four rotors, All four pads, frozen front left caliper (replaced).

It blew my mind, I complained, they made it all warranty, even the labor.

Smokin' SRX
12-25-06, 12:00 PM
Good for you! Sounds like some dealers have the Christmas spirit.......along with a little good business sense! But beware! In 20K miles I think you'll be back at least for the pads, if you drive this whip as agressively as I do! (and loving it!)