: 97 deville overheated!!!

3rd Coast Balla
12-17-06, 12:41 AM
i just bought my car about 2 months ago, a 97 deville base with 56k miles...yesterday my car said low coolant so in the morning i put in water cuz i needed to go to work...when i got out of work i was driving around for about 1-2 hours,there were times that i pushed the car cuz me n my friend were racin...then on the freeway the engine started getin hot and went into protect mode....
i think that i have a small leak because it has happened 1 other time, i just filled it with dex-cool green(not sure if that was right one), n changed the oil...
What can i do to find out if its a leak, or if its leakin into oil, or whatever else...it also says to change oil but i changed it about 3-4 weeks ago do i still have to...
In the mornin i and just plannin to put in regular water til wensday(til i get paid) n changed the coolant(should i put the water in the radiator or the lil tank on the side???)

99Classillac
12-17-06, 10:05 AM
Shoudn't have put the green coolant in, but since u did, make sure u continue to use it. From what I hear, its ok, its just u need to replace it every 2 years instead of 5 years for the orange stuff. As far as checkin for coolant, I don't know much. Do u see it coming out of the bottom of the car? Is there steam coming out of your exhaust? Might be a head gasket but don't quote me, wait till someone else with a little more knowledge about it posts here.

3rd Coast Balla
12-17-06, 04:26 PM
as for the coolant i was gettin my brakes checked at midas n i told them i needed coolant n i saw him putting in green coolant, but yesterday it threw most of the coolant out....i was just thinking of gettin new coolant and draining(not flush)the old coolant....where is a good place to do this(NOT MYSELF)there is no steam from the exhaust

Ranger
12-17-06, 04:35 PM
Where do I start.
1. Don't add straight water. You throw the 50/50 mix off. Always use 50/50 Dex/distilled water. Premix it in an empty Dex bottle and mark it 50/50.

2. Dex is orange not green. Drain it and use Dex.

3. Look for an external leak. My '97 Deville developed a small leak at the surge tank where the puge line attaches to the nipple. Side tanks are another posibility. Dried Dex leaves a whitish residue.

4. There is no cap on the radiator. The only place you can add coolant is in the surge tank.

5. If you changed oil and the change oil message came on 3 weeks later, you probably did not zero out the OLM. The car doesn't know that you changed the oil unless you tell it by bringing the OLM back to 100%.

3rd Coast Balla
12-17-06, 06:35 PM
it said change oil when it overheated...does sometime in the oil mess up because it overheated

99Classillac
12-17-06, 07:51 PM
Maybe computer detected engine overheat and did its math trickery and thinks the oil is severely deteriorated because of the heat.

Ranger
12-17-06, 08:02 PM
Oh, I missed that. Yes, if it goins into limp home mode, the oil is definately in need of a change. Limp home mode is approching the oils ability to withstand heat and it begins to break down.

3rd Coast Balla
12-18-06, 01:37 AM
so besides changing the oil and the coolant to dex(orange stuff)...what else should i do....what can i do to see if i have a leak in the coolant or to get it sealed up

3rd Coast Balla
12-19-06, 11:06 AM
what brand of oil should i use or could i use any brand

Ranger
12-19-06, 05:25 PM
Have the cooling system pressurized to look for an external leak. Do a cylinder pressure test to look for a bad head gasket. Use whatever oil tickles your fancy. Conventional 10W30 is spec'd by the factory.

3rd Coast Balla
12-20-06, 12:23 AM
where could i get my cooling system pressurized, does a place like brake check do this???

Ranger
12-20-06, 01:58 PM
Not familiar with Brake Check, but most any radiator shop or auto repair place can do it. Nothing more than putting a cap on the surge tank that has a hand pump and pressure guage attached and pumping it up to 16 psi. Then see if it holds pressure. If not, find the leak.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-3700.html