: CAGS not on new V's

HiTechRV
12-16-06, 11:10 PM
My CTS-V was built in the last month or 2. I was surprised to find it did not have the dreaded CAGS. I thought "Hmm - maybe it does not kick in during break in?". Well 10 days into it and 1000+ miles, no skip shift. I can shift at 1500, 2000, 2500 RPMs - wherever. No shift gate at all.

My SIL e-mailed the caddy guys from the cadillac.com web page link and they told him there were too many owner complaints, so it was removed. Makes sense - my highway mpg EPA rating is 24 and I have a gas guzzler tax on my sticker.

Anyone else have a newer 2007 CTS-V and noticed this?

HiTech

Woody_MI
12-17-06, 02:22 AM
Mine was built in October and has it. I rarely hit the "magic" combination to engage it though. I'm at 850 miles and maybe have experienced the dreaded 1-4 shift 6 times maybe....

BLACK_CTSV
12-17-06, 02:32 AM
Hmm - I seem to shift north of 4k...haven't seen it on my '04 :D

Jpjr
12-17-06, 01:14 PM
It's on all V's to avoid an additional gaz guzzler tax. It is there to keep the MSRP on the car where it is at. I thought the same thing when I got mine this Fall, and came to the conclusion that it does not kick in until after break-in which makes sense if true. Otherwise I was raging on the car way too early... lol.

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 10:32 AM
:yeah:

Kadonny
12-18-06, 11:32 AM
My CTS-V was built in the last month or 2. I was surprised to find it did not have the dreaded CAGS. I thought "Hmm - maybe it does not kick in during break in?". Well 10 days into it and 1000+ miles, no skip shift. I can shift at 1500, 2000, 2500 RPMs - wherever. No shift gate at all.

My SIL e-mailed the caddy guys from the cadillac.com web page link and they told him there were too many owner complaints, so it was removed. Makes sense - my highway mpg EPA rating is 24 and I have a gas guzzler tax on my sticker.

Anyone else have a newer 2007 CTS-V and noticed this?

HiTech

It's not about the rpms, it's about the mph. If you try to shift into second between 14 and 19 mph the cags kicks in.

At least I think it's 14..........but for sure the 19 is the top end.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-18-06, 12:00 PM
It actually has to meet three different criteria...

To ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal fuel economy standards, SECOND and THIRD gears are inhibited when shifting out of FIRST gear under the following conditions:

• Coolant temperature is above 76°C (169°F).
• Vehicle speed is 24-31 km/h (15-19 mph).
• Throttle is opened 21 percent or less.

HiTechRV
12-19-06, 10:32 PM
Guys I'm pretty sure, my car does not have skip shift. It was ordered in October. Based on when I got it I am guessing it was built early to mid November.

I have the sticker in my hand:

The EPA Highway MPG is 24 not 25.
My first option is a $1,300.00 gas guzzler tax.
Only other options are the $550 F1's and the $1,260 performance shock package.
Sticker of $55,015.00

I wrote a couple of the engineers to check just to be sure. I'll also try coasting at 17 mph tomorrow hot and then shift out of 1st.

ewill3rd
12-20-06, 09:41 PM
Gear Select - Skip Shift
To ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal fuel economy standards, SECOND and THIRD gears are inhibited when shifting out of FIRST gear under the following conditions:

• Coolant temperature is above 76°C (169°F).

• Vehicle speed is 24-31 km/h (15-19 mph).

• Throttle is opened 21 percent or less.

That's from the '07 service manual.
I doubt it's been eliminated. It's more likely you haven't met the enable criteria for engagement. If I get one in the air I'll look to see if the solenoid is in place but they have been using that since the 6 speed was introduced years ago in the F cars and Y cars. I doubt they'd eliminate it now.
It's actually considered an emissions control device believe it or not.
From a technical standpoint bypassing it is "emissions tampering".

That is not to say that it has to be there, I mean there is a chance it could have been eliminated. I know some people in the plant, I'll ask one of them to be sure.

They still show the procedure for replacing the solenoid too in the manual.

HiTechRV
12-21-06, 09:03 AM
You guys are right, but there's another criteria which was fooling me. Either after the first up shift, or after you have passed the top speed for the gate to engage, it does not seem to engage again until a complete stop (not sure which it is), even if you drop down to or even below the engagement speed range. That was fooling me.

In stop and go traffic I'd downshift into 1 at maybe 10 mph, then look as it went back up in speed through the teens, and no indicator. But if I completely stopped in first and accelerated very lightly, sure enough the 1>4 indicator would show and force me in. I just do not hit it in my normal driving.

ewill3rd
12-21-06, 12:29 PM
Another thing you can do to avoid the skip shift is start in 2nd gear.
It's low enough that you might not even notice the difference and you don't have to worry about the CAGS at all.

HiTechRV
12-21-06, 09:59 PM
Absolutely. Minimal clutch usage starting in second or even 3rd. The torque curve is amazing. it makes a nice 2 speed car with only 2 & 4, or a 3 speed using 1,3&5 as well.

My CAGS also only engages when the digital read out displays 16, 17 or 18.

HiTechRV
12-23-06, 06:33 PM
I found the starting from 0 mph rule in the 2004 literature on the FAQ site, http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/vsales.pdf.

That info is not in the rules though in the FAQ section.