Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What are these parts on my 95 Eldo?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  dp102288 
#1 ·
I think I checked my FPR today, but the pics in the Tech Tips thread wouldn't show up for me so I look in my books to see where it was. I used my phone so some pics are not the best. Is this the FPR and the "nipple" to check? (I did some highlighting in blue for the main parts, and red for specific places to check)

If this was the FPR there was one drop of gas when I first pulled it out (car was off for about 10 minutes), but when I turned the key to run (about 5 times) no gas came from any part of the thing and the tubing.

And what is this thing? It is located on the driver's side near the brake fluid, intake, and windshield washer fluid. When I turn my key to run (before even starting) or shut off the car I get a "winding" like sound from my engine that runs for about 30-60 seconds (I never really check how long). It sounds like this thing is making the noise. I didn't use to hear it before this summer (it started in about August time)

Any help appreciated.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Cruise? Wasn't expecting an answer like that for sure! But yes I do remember a metal cable running near it (not 100% sure if the cable ran inside of the unit). In addition, my cruise doesn't work, but technically, my multi-function lever "set" speed button on the end of it isn't there, so none of the cruise functions work.

Its on my 95 Eldo. Should it be making a noise you think?

Edit: I was thinking, since there are no pics in the FPR thread, if someone wanted to use the ones I posted until we get better ones, feel free. If not (I know they aren't great) its cool.

#8 ·
1st picture is the fpr, if there is any gas in there it's leaking.
Sometimes we use a vacuum pump with some clear hose on it to see if it's leaking fuel. If you take it off and it's wet, replace it.
I see you have the updated steel fuel rail installed.

The next picture series there is the cruise control "servo".
If you squeeze that rubber diaphragm you'll see the throttle move, I used to use those to hold the idle up when I am under the hood.

The noise might be the ISC motor. Usually on shutoff they'll make a funny sound for a few seconds as the plunger moves in and out a few times.
Not sure why they do it that way. Have someone run it while you watch the throttle linkage at the throttle body. If it moves when you hear the noise it's probably the ISC cycling.
That would be normal.

#9 ·
^^ Oh so it is normal (the niose). Well I am not too worried then, its just I never heard it before the summer. Oh well. So it would be the ISC, not the cruise thingy?

Yeah I had the steel recall done a year or two ago after the car was smelling really bad of gas.

The FPR should have been 100% dry? When I first pulled the tube going into the top of the FPR, one drop of gas came out. This was after the car had been sitting for at least 10 minutes, and I had not even inserted the key in the ignition before pulling the tube.

I then reconnected the tube, and put the key in the ignition and turned it to run, but didn't start the engine. I then ran back to the engine and pulled the tube, it was dry. Did that about 5 times to make sure, no more drops.

Do you think I should change the FPR then from the first drop of gas?

#10 ·
Without some real testing like I mentioned above, if that is all it's leaking you might not worry about it.
Usually it causes starting problems or rich fuel trim which can set a code.
If you have neither then just don't worry about it.
If any fuel is in there that usually means it leaked through something it's not supposed to leak through.

#11 ·
Shouldn't even have one drop. Might as well change it now. 5 min job. Might only be leaking at high vacuum when the diaphram isn't at rest, so you wouldn't see it leak unless you use ewill3rd's method of a vacuum pump & clear hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.