: Newbie---Going to look at a V, What should I look for

vseries
12-16-06, 08:59 PM
Hi All , this is my first post as I am not an owner yet But im going to look at a used 15k mile V on Tuesday, I know the factory warranty is still in effect but is there anything I should look for that may deter me from buying it?? Thanks for any info-Benny

heavymetals
12-16-06, 09:03 PM
Before you buy it post the vin# and someone will run it for you.
:thumbsup:

Dennisscars
12-16-06, 09:17 PM
but is there anything I should look for

Once you see the Bimmer in your rear view mirror you'll be asking "where do I sign?" :welcome:

vseries
12-16-06, 09:58 PM
lol thanks guys , Here is the vin 1G6DN57S640168449 , Should I post it elsewhere?

chipenstein
12-16-06, 11:26 PM
Carfax shows it as a 1 owner NY car with in-service date of 4/22/05. The report is clean, which is to say that nothing is shown on the carfax report. This doesn't mean that there aren't issues though.

heavymetals
12-16-06, 11:41 PM
One of the Cad dealer guys will run the history for you.

Just may not happen on the weekend.

G--
12-17-06, 06:34 AM
Benny,
Here's a thread that was created back when I was seaching an bought my V. I think it lists a few good items to check...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/79228-when-buying-used-v.html

rand49er
12-17-06, 08:50 AM
Good luck, Benny ... you're gonna love it!

vseries
12-17-06, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys you all have been very helpful, It seems as if the car sat around for a while or perhaps it had a late build date . Well I have some reading to do . Thanks again!

vseries
12-17-06, 05:32 PM
Oh forgot to mention the ad at the dealer said it has new tires which makes me wonder, I think id rather have old ones that woud show a "history" or such.So if they put some cheapos on that will give me some negotiating power. If they did not put run flats on does the V come with a full size spare or compact???

mostoyzwinz
12-17-06, 05:36 PM
Very common to go thru the OEM tires in <15k miles with normal driving...mine went 13k.

vseries
12-17-06, 05:39 PM
Well I have alot to look for , I know from the pics the paint on the nav knobs is peeling so my real question is WILL GM warranty things like that? I work at a dealer and we would most likely cover such things but im a little weary about GM giving me the NO .

urbanski
12-17-06, 06:04 PM
so far yes they have covered the knobs. some have had it replaced multiple times.
myself? not worth it. i just use a sharpie.

G--
12-17-06, 07:29 PM
Benny - no spare in a V (it's a 6 lug, plus a donut doesn't clear the brake caliper), there is a place for one (same as the CTS), you can read the FAQ to get the instructions on how to install a full size spare. Need to purchase a rim & jack (and a few other items). If the dealer put on non run flats, I'd ask for run flats, or the rim, jack and other items and see what you get.
I agree with Urby on the Nav buttons, I have not heard of that being turned down...
Good Luck! If you don't like the one your looking at, be a little patient, there's one out there for you...:thumbsup:

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 05:53 PM
Yep, I'd definitely ask for runflats also. I just bought another stock V rim and put one of my previous runflat tires on it that wasn't worn down too much. I keep it in the garage (The last thing I need is more weight in this car) and have my AAA card that allows free towing up to 250 miles. Just in case I get a flat far from home, they can tow me there and throw it on.

vseries
12-19-06, 09:43 PM
WOW you guys are on point, Here are the things wrong with the car
Shift knob feels loose
center console feels loose/broken
when I shut the car off every time there is a slight knocking-motor mounts??
wrong tires, I had to show the deal there was no spare, They were surprised!!
nav knob buttons peeling (already knew)
Other points about the car smal ding in roof (fixable ) Deep but fine scratches in center of hood and some slight rim curb rash not too bad. Other than the car is very nice, EVerything seems stock still has cags,No dents or dings other than the roof mentioned and no paintwork or realigned fenders or anything such so in general aside the fixable things its a super clean car. I left them an offer that they could not currently accept but Im gong to see another lower mileage 05 tommorow (more money obviously) but there holding onto my deposit till they give me the Final answer or I take the 05 tommorow Thanks again for all your input !!

G--
12-20-06, 06:47 AM
Let us all know what you end up with, kudos for doing your research.

Kadonny
12-20-06, 08:44 AM
Steer away from that one. Keep looking. There are pristine Vs out there you just have to look.

ctsvflorida
12-20-06, 09:12 AM
Steer away from that one. Keep looking. There are pristine Vs out there you just have to look.

I agree with this guy! I will be on L.I. on Friday and if you are close, I would meet you at a car and I can tell you quite quickly whether or not to consider it. Tell us some prices and we can help more. Feel free to PM me your number and I can help you out. I enjoy looking for cars, especially ones that I know well, and would surely enjoy trying to help you! I hate when dealers rip people off and I try and make sure that it does not happen to anyone!
Brian

vseries
12-20-06, 02:07 PM
I think the price they were asking was somewhat fare at 28,900 with 15k miles on it and my offer was 27,500. The problem im having is finding one locally, I drove 1.5 hours yesterday and am driving 2 hours tonight to see the 05, Theese cars are hard to find with under 20k miles anywhere near that price.

ctsvflorida
12-20-06, 06:00 PM
Those are great prices! Boy, our cars are tanking fast! I would have to assume that these cars are not perfect or even near perfect. I would be a little leary for those numbers. I mean they are dropping fast but I don't know about that much! Those may be headache cars! A good deal for an '04 with low, low miles (7k-12k) is $29k-$31k so you are looking at bargain cars and I can only give two words for those...good luck!
For example, my '04 car was a one owner 4k mi car with 3.5 years of warranty left (titled in mid '05) and it was $34.5k one year ago. It was a very good deal at the time but I looked for 2 solid months! It's not easy!

RAD69
12-20-06, 06:45 PM
If you want a nicely modded ~700hp CTS-V, come out to New Jersey and take a look at mine.

I am selling it very soon. :crybaby:

atdeneve
12-21-06, 07:43 AM
Why you selling? Seems you just got the thing.

I know, if I had 700 horse under my right foot, I couldn't bring myself to part with my ponies so soon after I just got em. Hell, even after I got bored with it, what the hell else is gonna keep me entertained like that beast you got there. You goin loco, man?

Anyways, before you end up sellin', pimp me a ride in that boost hore. How does it compare to other cars that you've run? Have you run an E60 M5? Do you just simply embarass em or is it still close?

RAD69
12-21-06, 08:20 AM
Why you selling? Seems you just got the thing.

I know, if I had 700 horse under my right foot, I couldn't bring myself to part with my ponies so soon after I just got em. Hell, even after I got bored with it, what the hell else is gonna keep me entertained like that beast you got there. You goin loco, man?

Anyways, before you end up sellin', pimp me a ride in that boost hore. How does it compare to other cars that you've run? Have you run an E60 M5? Do you just simply embarass em or is it still close?

Yeah - I pratically just got it. First problem is that I bought it without tellin the wife. Dumb move. That fight was the most serious one ever. We kinda got past it after a few weeks. It got worse again when I put a few thousand into it becasue of my it must be prefect issue. I ended up buying her a new 2007 MDX, which seemed to stop all the annoying comments and digs.

The real problem is that I am having a an expensive house built and the upgrades are killin me. Next problem is that housing market is going south and I am counting on the equity in my current house to close. So after a lot of soul searching, I realized that I do not NEED such a car - especially when my drive to work is 11 miles of heavy traffic. Besides, a new house is more important for my family. I will get another great car in 2 or 3 years.

In terms of the car, it is amazing. My last car was a 600hp twin turbo that ran mid 11s, and my CTS-V would kill it. The power is smooth and calm until you mash the pedal and then it is absolutely nuts. I had the car completely re-tuned with the EFILive 2bar program and the tuner tells me that with cams and heads I would get over 100more whp. I laughed and asked if life insurance automatically comes with that. As it is right now I can break the stock tires loose at 75mph! Lets just say that it PROLLY traps at over 120mph! :halo: Of course racing my car would void the warranty. What I will also miss is all the attention it gets. Everyone seems to LOVE this car, I always get the thumbs up or the nod - stopped at a light if they note the supercharger noise or especially the woosh of the BPV, a conversation is inevitable.

Ok, must stop talking about this :banghead:

vseries
12-28-06, 09:24 PM
well to put an end to this post, I purchased the 15k mile 2004 for 28,000 . Ill have to deal with the tire issue on my own but it was too good of a deal to pass up, So far I LOVE the car, FUN to drive, COMFORTABLE seats with endless adjustments and everything plus MORE than my G35 coupe had. I orderd and recieved the UUC shifter as the problem with the "loose knob" was that the shifter shaft seperated from the rubber so this is a fix and an upgrade all in one. And any other warranty issues will be taken care from my friend whos a tech at caddy, SO if any of you LI guys see a Silver V on the S.S parkway it may be me , Ill be sure to holla back at you

JimmyH
02-25-07, 07:50 PM
Before you buy it post the vin# and someone will run it for you.
:thumbsup:

Can one of the meisters here check this one for me:

1G6DN56S250155782

It's a maroon 05 with 5300 miles here in Chicagoland that I think I am going to make an offer on.

Thanks!

ctsvflorida
02-25-07, 07:58 PM

1G6DN56S250155782

It's a maroon 05 with 5300 miles here in Chicagoland that I think I am going to make an offer on.

Thanks!

These redline guys won't like that you called it a 'maroon'! I call it burgandy, you call it maroon and I think 'we' are right! What the heck is redline anyway!? LOL

SkullV
05-17-10, 03:53 AM

1G6DN56S250155782

Thanks!

Hey Jimmy...did you ever make an offer on this one? It was my V!