: Gauging Interest in CTS/STS plant visit...

Woody_MI
12-16-06, 12:07 PM
I live in the Lansing area where our awesome cars are built and have a few contacts at the plant. Plant tours are available to the general public at any time, but if we get enough people interested, maybe we can get a special plant tour. I've been on a tour like this before with the Grand Prix club where we toured the Fairfax plant in Kansas. There was a huge turnout of Grand Prix owners, and the local UAW got involved. They provided a great tour, did a BBQ for us, and had special vehicles brought in. We also had track days where you could do a road course and drag race. Obviously, I can't promise the same results for the first visit, but maybe if enough are interested we could all have a good time.

We have several 1/4 mile drag strips close to Lansing, and we also have a road course in the SW part of the state. I can work on those venues as well if there is interest in doing this as well.

Give me an idea of what time of year is best for you if you want to do this, interest in track days, and if we should make it open to all (CTS, STS, not just V's)

Here are two links to the drag strip and road course:

http://www.midmichmotorplex.com/
http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

ChicagoCTS32
12-16-06, 12:16 PM
definitely interested!

rand49er
12-16-06, 01:13 PM
I'm in!!! I'm flexible for this one ... might have a 4-year-old-future gear head in tow, but I'm in!!!

Hey, Woody, btw there's another V owner in Lansing who used to be a motorcycle cop (now retired) ... can't recall his handle, though ... doesn't come on here much. Anyway, he'd probably love to go, also.

The Tony Show
12-16-06, 01:24 PM
Interest = YES

Reality of driving from Florida to Michigan = Doubtful.

Sucks to be me- I'd really like to go.

lunarx
12-16-06, 02:23 PM
Sounds Cool :cool:
I'd probably fly out for it, as its too far to drive from CA.

HiTechRV
12-16-06, 03:38 PM
It's a good plant. It routinely gets voted top 3 in the JD power plant quality surveys. Well worth the visit. I might head up if there were a group day. I could probably help get a special tour as well.

ronr
12-16-06, 04:27 PM
I'd be interested

OldRoadDawg
12-16-06, 07:56 PM
I'd be interested . . if it was late spring to early summer. I'd be driving there in the V and weather is too unpredictable until then.

Dennisscars
12-16-06, 08:24 PM
Somebody say Track day??? :bouncy: Depending on time of year and if car available to track (road course) I'd be interested in flying in..

guess probably shouldn't show up in a rented GT-H huh?...:tisk:

Wild, can you get out of the printing sweat shop for a couple days?

Luna.
12-16-06, 08:58 PM
Interest = YES

Reality of driving from Florida to Michigan = Doubtful.

Sucks to be me- I'd really like to go.

:yeah: (cept I live in CA)

kueh
12-17-06, 03:38 AM
I love to go. Good chance to also visit Michigan State. Go SPARTANS!!!

Dick's06Vee
12-17-06, 05:40 AM
Woody: Count me in! I'd love to do a plant tour, even though it would be a five mile drive for me............... Gingerman is a great track, ran my Z06 there summer before last. Rolling course, with one nice long straight. $60.00 for three hours of lap time, on track twenty minutes, off twenty minutes. A ton of bang for the buck.

Rand49er: Guess you'd be talking about me.

Dick

commander112
12-17-06, 07:34 AM
I'd be in for the plant tour also. As for time of the year, sometime in the spring after the weather breaks.
You know, I bet that if we got a large group together for this, we could get GM support for this kind of thing as GM could get some promotional value out of getting a group of happy owners from around the country to come together. Perhaps we could make a weekend event out of this. Plant tour on Friday, Tech sessions on Saturday morning and a track event in the afternoon.
As for the Florida and SoCal residents, airfare to Lansing or Detroit is real cheap under $350 most of the time. Hopefully, I'm not putting the cart before the horse here.

Mark

rand49er
12-17-06, 08:48 AM
... Rand49er: Guess you'd be talking about me.

DickYup. :D Glad you checked in on this one.

Hey, Mark, I think you're exactly right. Some marketing/PR people from GM could sure capitalize on this if they got involved, couldn't they? :yup:

Jon
12-17-06, 08:48 PM
Possibly... I'm between 5 - 6 hours away according to Google Maps. If it's in the summer and we can get a plant tour plus some tracking, I can possibly come for a weekend or something. Would be nice!

RocketV
12-22-06, 09:56 AM
I'd love to go. It' only 4.5 hours or so from Indy in my truck, less in the V. Does anyone have friends in the design department? How about on the team that picks engines for future generation V's? THOSE are some people I'd like to meet!

MescalVto
12-22-06, 10:35 AM
Hey, count me in too!+be sure to post in the other forums as well!I know there is a CTS guy over there with some GM mktg contacts - remember, he showed up at that summer meet we had at woodys w/ a mfgr/demo STS-V! we had about a dozen guys show up for that & I would think they would all be up for the plant tour too.

HiTechRV
12-22-06, 12:45 PM
I'd love to go. It' only 4.5 hours or so from Indy in my truck, less in the V. Does anyone have friends in the design department? How about on the team that picks engines for future generation V's? THOSE are some people I'd like to meet!

Outside chance we could get someone from Powertrain along on the tour who has played with/made one of the engine mock ups. But they're not allowed to tell you what's going in the V, even though they know.

BadCad
12-22-06, 01:19 PM
Hmmm... maybe the SoCal could have a group meet (group drive) to the plant. Heavy, you up to plan this one? :yup:

rand49er
12-22-06, 03:08 PM
55 miles for me door to door, nearly all expressway. (What's that, 30 min? :D )

Hey, woody, are you getting a sense that this thing is possible with or without the frills (i.e. track time, etc)?

OldRoadDawg
12-22-06, 05:26 PM
55 miles for me door to door, nearly all expressway. (What's that, 30 min? :D )
:tease: About 455 miles for me door to door, 3 states . . (What's that, 5 hrs, including lunch? :eyebrow: )
But I'll still show up . . if its after the snow season

rand49er
12-22-06, 07:40 PM
:tease: About 455 miles for me door to door, 3 states . . (What's that, 5 hrs, including lunch? :eyebrow: )
But I'll still show up . . if its after the snow seasonGet to my house, you can park here, and I'll drive you up there the rest of the way ... unless, of course, you want to show up there in your V ... I'd understand. :D

Woody_MI
12-22-06, 10:57 PM
This sounds like it's a go. I wouldn't think of having it anytime during the winter. I will start putting this together, post in some of the other forums, and keep everyone updated on the progress and potential date. I'm thinking of still trying to keep the track day(s) as those who will be coming from long distances can get the most bang for their time.

roadracerx72
12-23-06, 06:14 PM
I was raised 20 minutes from Lansing and that is where my father retired. (Oldsmobile then B.O.C.) I need to get my arse back to Michigan to visit Dad. I am very interested as long as I can get the time off work. So keep us posted on the date! Looks like I will fly and rent a CTS.

rand49er
12-23-06, 06:41 PM
I was raised 20 minutes from Lansing and that is where my father retired. (Oldsmobile then B.O.C.) I need to get my arse back to Michigan to visit Dad. ...I was there from '79 to '82 ... where'd he work?

roadracerx72
12-23-06, 06:42 PM
I was there from '79 to '82 ... where'd he work?
Plant 3. He was a Millwright. (sp?)

rand49er
12-23-06, 08:27 PM
Plant 3. He was a Millwright. (sp?)On Saginaw across from Plant 2. I've been there only once, crankshaft machining dept. 99% of my time was in the Admin Bldg near Plant 1 and, the new for the time, Plant 5.

BTW, where are the CTS's built? Plant 5 where the GrandAm's were built? Woody ... you know?

Woody_MI
12-23-06, 10:37 PM
They're built at the Grand River plant off of 496 and MLK (Logan for old timers!)

My dad retired from the old Fisher Body plant a few years back. I can't remember what year it was exactly...

roadracerx72
12-24-06, 09:21 AM
My father retired in the mid 90's and my ex-wife's father just retired from Fisher Body. (Maybe its been about 10 years now??) I remember Logan better than MLK. They should have built a Library instead of changing the street name but whatever...IMHO

HiTechRV
12-24-06, 10:26 AM
I think non Caddy's are still built at LCA (Lansing Car Ass'y). STS, SRX and CTS are LGR (Lansing Grand River) as Woody said. XLR is built with the Corvettes in Bowling Green. I *think* DTS may still be at Hamtramic though I'm not sure. Never did know about Escallade - a guess is Janesville but it's just a guess.