: Did I make the right choice?

mdc
12-16-06, 12:00 PM
My father has done well for himself. He is one of those stories you hear about where a family of 8 came from Europe in the early 70s with absolutely nothing and took whatever job was passed over by everyone else

My father was 14 when he came to Canada ... spoke no English and worked night while attending high school all day. I don't know how he did it. In his lifetime he has been a construction worker, a roofer, a wormpicker, a janitor, a waiter at a banquet hall and a farmer. The one thing he did learn was the value of hard work and the importance of family values

Anyway ... he turned 50 two years ago and took what was a small 3 man company in the late 80s and turned it into something sucessful. I am extremely proud of my father and what he has been able to accomplish. His problem though is that he doesn't want to be one of those guys that people look at all the time. He doesn't have fancy clothes, fancy watches, or a boat (his other dream) and he drives around in a 1999 Dodge Ram (that he loves). His dream since he was a teenager was to one day own his own Mercedes. He hasn't gotten one because he doesn't want to be known as a "big shot" (his words)

I took my mother out to lunch a week ago and we got to talking about Christmas and how he is impossible to shop for. At the end of the meal, she hands me a blank cheque and says "I don't know anything about cars. I want you to get something that he would enjoy and I don't care what anyone thinks because he deserves it."

Now I know my mother probably meant for me to just pick up an E350 or maybe even a ML350, but I figure if he is going to be accused of being a "big shot" he might as well be the most badass "big shot" he can be ... and besides, it's not my money ;)

Tuesday morning I take delivery of:
http://www.h-c.co.jp/mt-web/news/media/file_20060216T104640324.jpg

http://www.autonews.com/files/2006_geneva/mercedes/cls/images/01.jpg

His will be black on black with 507 screaming horses.

I still haven't showed her the bill :alchi: (I had to get a certified cheque out my own account so I hope I am reimbursed before my wife finds our account depleted ... heh) ... They are going to kill me ... but hey, why shouldn't his car be faster than mine ;) ... I remember the day I came over for lunch in my new V and he lectured me for an hour about how it was a crazy car to drive ... he threw him the keys and when he came back a half hour later with a huge grin, he never said another word ... now he can have all the fun he wants, whenever he wants ... heh

onebadcad
12-16-06, 12:05 PM
Great story, great choice-you even got him the best color, great gift. I hope he likes it, then again if he doesn't you can always drive it:cool2: .
I not sure if you want to mod it, but here is the best MB Forum on the net:
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

mdc
12-16-06, 12:09 PM
I can guarantee than he won't mod it ... thanks for the link

Woody_MI
12-16-06, 12:11 PM
Great story, great gift! May your dad enjoy many wonderful miles with his new toy. Sounds like he deserves to drive a nice car, and I'm sure all of his employees will think the same.

The Tony Show
12-16-06, 12:11 PM
....she hands me a blank cheque.....

I stopped reading after that part. Why couldn't I be rich instead of incredibly good looking?:histeric:

Kudos on the choice of car- that's a mean ride right there. Also, great story about the folks. At least they earned their money the old fashioned way.

mdc
12-16-06, 12:15 PM
Why couldn't I be rich instead of incredibly good looking?:histeric:

heh ... How do you think I feel ... they left all of the money to my daughter :banghead:

I just finished paying back a loan from them I got a few years ago to start my own business ... paying them back "built character" or some crap like that ... heh

diamondj
12-16-06, 05:40 PM
I want to here how this works out.

urbanski
12-16-06, 05:44 PM
can i be your kid?

heavymetals
12-16-06, 06:11 PM
can i be your kid?

If your not adopting, how old is your daughter? :lildevil:

mdc
12-16-06, 06:36 PM
4 months ... you guys are sick ... I'm forwarding this thread to the FBI ...

:p

wildwhl
12-16-06, 07:05 PM
4 months ... you guys are sick ... I'm forwarding this thread to the FBI ...

:p

I'm patient...and can wait. Please teach her to play piano - always loved that. New wife every 7 years or so anyway. Looks like it's time to trade Mrs. Wheel in (not).

WW

p.s. - great choice :thumbsup:

mdc
12-16-06, 09:08 PM
forwarded this thread to Mrs. Wheel too

mdc ... destroying relationships since 1991

HushH
12-16-06, 09:33 PM
You done good...great choice.

BLACK_CTSV
12-17-06, 01:37 AM
Yes - great car. If I had the dough [that I was willing to spend] I would have a Benz w/12 cylinders and an AMG badge on it, as well :cheers:

Kadonny
12-17-06, 10:29 AM
I love those cars. Not real high on the normal CLS, but the AMG version is heaven.

Congrats and good luck.

Jon
12-17-06, 09:44 PM
That's awesome man. And I loved the story about him taking your car for a drive and coming back with a smile.

I really hope he likes it, keep us informed :)

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 09:50 AM
Excellent choice, you can't go wrong with this. He'll love it, who wouldn't...

mdc
12-18-06, 02:50 PM
I haven't slept well for the last couple of nights ... I'm really excited to go pick it up ... heh

ChicagoCTS32
12-18-06, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't be able to sleep either!

The CLS is the sexiest car on the earth right now. Forget lambo, ferrari, my beloved CTS... MB got it right with that car. Silver or White with tinted windows... dead sexy.