: V-6 or V-8

King3244
12-15-06, 08:24 PM
Soon to buy a 2006 SRX...........options aside, any comments on 6 versus 8.

I currently own an STS and love the N* but there seems to be a bunch of v-6's out there for sale...........I searched for a thread for this but couldn't find any. If someone could point me to a thread that would be great as well.

Thanks, King

sgilbert
12-15-06, 09:40 PM
V8 all the way! Smoother, quieter, FAR more powerful, and you'll only sacrifice about 1 mpg or so.

robhersch
12-15-06, 10:35 PM
May be difficult to do apples to apples with SRX V6 vs SRX V8 without considering "which options" (typically V8 has many "features" as standard which may be extra cost options on V6, and are different for 04, 05, 06).
Suggest going to GM Online / Reference Guide for std/avail eqpt, etc w/ RPO codes << http://eogld.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2005>> (for 2005 SRX, similar for 2006) before spending $$$$.
Also, suggest reviewing CTS forum topics since the CTS 3.6L is the SRX V6.

c5 rv
12-16-06, 05:55 AM
Here's a thread from last spring when I was looking:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/73500-v6-v8.html

I had 2 DDs (CTS & Sierra Denali) and was considering getting an AWD V8 SRX to replace both. (I'm the only driver.) Because of the soft truck market, I decided to keep the truck and trade the CTS for a V6 RWD SRX.

I think the V6 in a RWD SRX provides acceptable performance. Not as great as the 500 lb. lighter CTS, though. I prefer the V8 in an AWD SRX, though.

donjumpsuit
12-16-06, 12:17 PM
*~ V8 ~*

Northern SRX
12-16-06, 01:10 PM
Agree with C5_rv - V6 is the choice if RWD and/or you don't care as much about launch or highway passing times. If you're going AWD and/or you're planning to tow and/or you're adding the weight of either the ultra roof or the 3rd row seat, you might be disappointed with the performance of the V6.

The V8 also has an extremely satisfying sound when taking off and it's a blast to launch - nice to spank the odd unsuspecting dolt trying to merge in front of you off a red light (I'm not saying that that's all that mature but it's also a lot of fun. YMMV of course...).

I'd also agree with the comment that V6 is nicer than most of the competition.

IOW, hard to lose either way...

BaseBoy
12-17-06, 12:38 AM
This summer I drove an 06 V6 AWD on trip. (Enterprise Rental.) Adequate power. Took delivery today of 07 V8 AWD and drove 250 miles. The V8 6-speed is smooth. Very little down shifting. Although the V6 has enough power to merge and pass at high speeds, the V8 does it without breaking a sweat.

It's hard not to duplicate what's been said.
-- If you know you want the luxury package, then the price difference between the V6 and V8 is rather small.
--Weight matters. The AWD SRX is heavy, and feels heavy at low speeds. Add the Ultraview, 3 kids, and stuff....
--Both engines are equally reliable. But with the 5/100K warranty, that's now a non-issue.
--Psychology. Do you want to feel good about the marginally better V6 MPG or the superior V8 torque?

j123456k
12-17-06, 10:17 AM
I just ordered my new SRX and ordered with V8. I was first thinking of the V6 due to the price difference between the V6 and V8, but when I added in the option packages on the V6 that were standard on the V8, the price was not much different. Gas mileage difference is between the two is minimal, and the V8 comes with the ultra smooth 6 speed transmission on the 2007 model. The 320HP Northstar is absolutely great with this vehicle. Love the sound of the V8.

TSS
12-17-06, 10:39 AM
Get the V-8.

For a post, I posted a while back when I had access side by side to my 2006 AWD V-8 and a 2007 AWD V-6 loaner...the thread was titled : "2007 SRX 4 loaner".....It was originally posted in november 2006.....long story short, after using both side by side for an extended period of time (and being very objective), the v-8 was the clear winner....

Flash
12-18-06, 01:30 PM
Have driven a LOADED V8 (Ultra View, 3rd row, GPS, etc) for the last 2 years and it is everything one could ask for. Strong and quick. Plenty of e-way merging power or flat out passing on 2 lanes. A quick press of the pedal at 65 will send the speedo to 90 in a moment. Watch for the sirens and flashers in your rear view mirror, if you choose to enjoy the passing power of this beast. It is great fun.

I would likely opt for a V6 next time, except the chrome roof rails are only available on the V8's or as a special 20" wheel package on the V6's. The touring package with the mesh grills and sport trim is the kicker for me.

For cross country touring, the North Star is effortless driving in AWD.

mohmoh
12-19-06, 10:22 PM
Have driven a LOADED V8 (Ultra View, 3rd row, GPS, etc) for the last 2 years and it is everything one could ask for. Strong and quick. Plenty of e-way merging power or flat out passing on 2 lanes. A quick press of the pedal at 65 will send the speedo to 90 in a moment. Watch for the sirens and flashers in your rear view mirror, if you choose to enjoy the passing power of this beast. It is great fun.

I would likely opt for a V6 next time, except the chrome roof rails are only available on the V8's or as a special 20" wheel package on the V6's. The touring package with the mesh grills and sport trim is the kicker for me.

For cross country touring, the North Star is effortless driving in AWD.

I've had my loaded V8 for two years now. Very happy with it. Would never get a V6.
Talking of flashing sirens, I was on my way home Thanksgiving eve on the new Austin TX toll road. Only been opened 2 weeks. Thought I was in a 70 limit. Got stopped and *found out* the hard way the limit switched to 40 because I was actually on the access road. Oh well, at least he wished me happy thanksgiving as he wrote me up... :crying:

keeton
12-19-06, 11:28 PM
I have had an '04 V-6 RWD for over two years now and I don't regret the decision one bit. When I was shopping back then, I compared it to its V-6 competition (RX330, ML350, MDX etc.). The SRX powertrain was so much better than those it wasn't funny. I also researched the Cadillac TSB's and found, at that time, there were quite a few more for the Northstar than the V-6. My V-6 powertrain has been absolutely trouble free (If I could only say the same about the UltraView!).

The V-6 is geared lower so it produces pretty good off the line acceleration, but has to rev harder to do it. Car and Driver's road tests show only .5 second difference in 0-60. The V-6 will run out of breath sooner but the V-8 will keep on going at high speeds.

I assure you, the gas mileage difference is more than "about 1 mpg or so" that another poster stated - especially in city driving. My real world MPG is 17-ish in town and 22-23 on the highway. The difference in MPG is less at steady speeds on the highway, where the Northstar's higher gearing can help.

When I ran the numbers, accounting for option packages that were standard on the V-8, the cost difference was about $3500.

Neither engine is a bad choice for the vehicle. The scales tip toward the V-6 for city driving, economy and serviceability. The V-8 is the better choice for sheer power and high speed driving.

Drive 'em, price 'em and see what works best for you.

King3244
12-20-06, 09:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your input! The reason I didn't reply sooner is that I was out of town visiting the grandkids. As always a good place to gather opinions.

Now the bad news I just blew a head gasket in my 94 sts north* so buying the new srx is even more pressing and it may just come down to availabilty.

I will now go over the the old sts forum and see what kind of work I am getting myself into for a repair.

King

sgilbert
12-20-06, 11:14 PM
Whatever the estimate is, tell the dealer to deduct it from the trade and dump it ASAP. After putting that kind of $ into the repair, you'll be tempted to keep it!

Smokin' SRX
12-23-06, 12:50 PM
Get the V-8 !!! Unless you drive lots of miles (gas ain't cheap!) or don't care about a "rocket truck"!! And the extra $$$

Many buy for the looks and style only. The V-6 is certainly adequate, but........................:halo: