: For those of you who've painted your calipers???

tweeter81
12-15-06, 04:42 PM
Yet another question from me, an inexperienced car modder. I was wondering who has painted their stock calipers and if so:

what paint did you use?
what clearcoat did you use?
did you put on Brembo stickers?
where did you get said Brembo stickers?
and how did you do the work?

Any writeups or other info would be extremely helpful as I am planning on taking off the calipers and painting them in January sometime.

Thanks V owners. :yup:

rand49er
12-15-06, 05:00 PM
I actually bought some paint a couple of months after I bought my car (at Murray's Auto Parts <-- a cut above AutoZone here in the midwest), but decided against doing it and returned the paint. The stuff was explicitly intended for calipers, and whether there's higher quality stuff out there, I really don't know.

speedemon9r
12-15-06, 06:15 PM
Not that hard to do.

Remove calipers

Tape off everything not to be painted

3-4 light coats of Plasti-Kote Caliper paint whatever color (availible at Pep-Boys, Auto Zone, etc...) make sure the coats are very light or it will run and let it dry in between each coat

2 coats Plasti-Kote Engine Enamel "Clear" done the same way

Re-Install Calipers

I just got my V so I don't have any specifics on that yet but I've used this method on two of my other cars and havn't had any flaking or fading on either in the last 15k miles

Tags63
12-15-06, 09:47 PM
Hey!!

Yes, I've done calipers before. Didn't do it on My V yet but I have the red paint waiting along with either black Brembo logo & name or going with a brushed aluminum V emblem. Either one will fit just fine. I'm waiting for the spring to come to do it. When I change out the brake lines, put in line lok and change my wheels.

Oh by the way, the process is as he said above. There are a few good caliper paints out there the reall good ones are an epoxy mix paint. 1st the color lightly coated about 3 coats, then the last coat you adhere your decal or whatever you intend on putting on there. Of course you let the coats dry in between. After you put on emblem or logo immediately following the last color coat. You let that dry, then do a few coats of clear. They will look great!!!

I can't wait to do mine.

Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rey
12-16-06, 12:43 AM
I painted my calipers using the expensive $40 Eastwood system and the cheep Autozone system- half and half. I notice no difference. Both are the same shade of red and are equally durable.
I got Brembo decals on eBay. Just search "Brembo decals". Cost was about $10.
These decals look OEM and peel off and on with no water. Did not clear coat and the calipers look as good as "new" a year and 20K miles later.

BLACK_CTSV
12-16-06, 01:13 AM
Anyone have a pic of a V with red calipers?

Rey - nice to see another PNW member - second one tonight I met! :D

tweeter81
12-16-06, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys.

Rey,

I searched a little on Ebay and wasn't sure if I found the right decals. What size did you put on your calipers? It seems like the 2" x 6" would be too big (and that was pretty much the only size I saw). I think the 1" x 4" would be right. Also, any pictures of the caliper up close after painting would be very helpful.

SilverBullet
12-16-06, 04:41 PM
I would think that these would be what you need....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brembo-hi-temp-brake-caliper-decal-set-6-decals-kit_W0QQitemZ200059252581QQihZ010QQcategoryZ88433Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tweeter81
12-16-06, 06:02 PM
SilverBullet,

Awesome, that is exactly what I needed. I guess I wasn't putting in the right search words. Thanks brother.

Rey
12-17-06, 11:31 AM
Incidentally, I did not remove the calipers to paint them. I just painted those portions of the calipers that were visible.

starfox86
12-17-06, 11:49 AM
i painted mine with the calipers on and i used the autozone stuff, it looks crappy at first but after it drys for 24 hours it looks great! and the brembo stickers just stick right on. if i had a camera id take some pics. i have red calipers with white brembo stickers with black wheels

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 09:08 AM
Anyone have a silver V and painted their calipers? I am thinking of doing this to make them stand out just a little more, but dont know what color to use. I do want them to look too out of place...

Razorback_CTS
12-22-06, 01:21 AM
What if you paint your calipers one color and then later paint another color over it? Will this harm the caliper in any way?

Tags63
12-23-06, 09:39 PM
Hey!!!

My V is Silver and I'm going to paint them red. They'll look great!!! I've done them mant times on my other cars. I always chose red. They're suppose to stand out. I have the Brembo decals for them or I may go with brushed aluminum V emblem. Waiting for late spring to do them though. Happy Holidays!!!

Paul:xsmile: