: Extended warranty

CaddyinKC
12-14-06, 01:58 PM
I recently purchased an 04 SRX with less than 40k miles from a non-Cadillac dealer. I was curious on a couple of items in reference to purchasing an extended warranty.

Should I purchase an extended warranty through a Cadillac dealer? What are the advantages?

What price should I be looking for? I've seen anywhere from 1200 to 1500, but it seems to only add a year and 10k miles to my existing warranty.

john d
12-14-06, 04:11 PM
I recently purchased an 04 SRX with less than 40k miles from a non-Cadillac dealer. I was curious on a couple of items in reference to purchasing an extended warranty.

Should I purchase an extended warranty through a Cadillac dealer? What are the advantages?

What price should I be looking for? I've seen anywhere from 1200 to 1500, but it seems to only add a year and 10k miles to my existing warranty.
When buying new there are several time/mileage choices from GM, don't know about used choices.
My two daughters bought extended warranty's from different car dealers but were sold non-manufacture policies. Both private insurance/warranty companies (different ones) filed bankruptcy before the time or mileage expired. One daughter had the ignition switch fail in her Olds Aurora, the warranty company tried to exclude it as "special electronic equiptment". Took a lot of demands and threats to get it covered.
Lesson learned: buy only extended warranty from the manufacturer like GM, Ford, etc.
At one time several new car dealers in a city decided to start their own warranty company...... That company failed too.

robhersch
12-14-06, 04:37 PM
I was referred to "Old Republic Ins Co" Mech Breakdown Ins (800-331-3780); their quote quite a bit less than GMPP, but how good is it?? You cannot tell until you need it!
You may also try your (or a local) credit union; I have friends who swear by (not at) the Kinectca extended warranty coverage.
I have always used GMPP and never dissappointed, but it may not be available unless from a GM dealer.

stlgasman
12-16-06, 11:23 AM
If anybody finds a good deal, post it.

j123456k
12-16-06, 05:18 PM
I bought an extended warranty from SMP (Select Member Protection) for my Lincoln Mark VIII. The coverage a "bumper to bumper" coverage that covered me 48months/100000 miles beyond my standard warranty. This company was recommended by someone who was in the auto business for a long time and I trusted. My extended warranty has now expired, but the company covered me on every instance the car needed repair. They were absolutely great!! So, although I have only one experience with this company, it was very favorable. I paid $1200 for the extended warranty.

Jeff

Smokin' SRX
12-24-06, 01:16 PM

Best wishes w/ your SRX! I have the V-8 AWD, MRC, and love it! But BEWARE!! This hi-tech whip costs only a little less than the Space Shuttle to repair!! Get a transferrable warranty (should you decide to sell next year for an '08:D ) But get something!!!
I've been burned badly by a non-GM warranty (even though I bought it from a GM dealer!!) Almost killed the man as he SWORE it was from GM!! Get it in writting on the contract!! So either get an original GM extended warranty, a Credit Union Deal or even Geico Ins. Warranty (sold only if you insure w/them!) Period!!!!!

All else....BUYER BEWARE!! (and likely burned!)

FYI ..... my credit union has a $250 deductible per repair , but they may be accumulated, minor issues!! ( like power window, door lock switch and washwer pump) $1200. for 4years/50K extra miles! Great buy! Doesn't cover minor stuff! (Bulbs etc) Ask!