: 2nd Gear Shift Popping Out

Feffman
12-14-06, 09:15 AM
Hi All:

I'm hoping this is simply the high quality rubbber bushings wearing out, but...

Occassionally when shifting into 2nd gear, it pops out of 2nd. It seems I must be VERY (notice the capital letters) deliberate about shifting to 2nd at all times. Is this simply the bushings or am I looking at something else. OH and yes, I've installed the CAGS killer!

Hopefully S. Claus is bringing me a UUC shifter and bushings to take care of this IF it's the bushings. Thanks in advance for any help!

OH and to any nay sayers, I absolutley love this car. I'm haivng more fun in it then my Audi could have ever been and it's at least as enjoyable as any of my previous five Lotus Esprits because I can take my entire family with me on a ride!

Feff :cloud9:

austin
12-14-06, 09:42 AM
Not sure this will help you..... But it's free to try!!! Take a credit card and pry up on the shifter boot housing where it sits in the console as so to release it and pull the boot up over the shifter knob. Now check the foam underneith, surrounding the shifter shaft. Shift it into second and see if the foam is hitting the shifter in an unusal way. If so, just take a sharp knife and the cut the extra foam. Snap the shifter boot housing back on when your finished. Should take you all of 10-minutes to do. If not the problem.... Time for a trip to the Dealer!! :)

1QUICKV
12-14-06, 05:31 PM
it the trans. There's a gear that is not locking in all the way. Same as when you go backwards and it pops out. There are so many problems with these cars, but will still love them.

heavymetals
12-14-06, 06:13 PM
it the trans. There's a gear that is not locking in all the way. Same as when you go backwards and it pops out. There are so many problems with these cars, but will still love them.

There is not a history of transmission problems with these cars.
They usually pop out of gear because they are not fully engaged.
Can it be the shifter?

YES, and at both ends......

1QUICKV
12-14-06, 06:54 PM
There is not a history of transmission problems with these cars.
They usually pop out of gear because they are not fully engaged.
Can it be the shifter?

YES, and at both ends......

Yea but i don't believe that i'm the only person with a reverse problem. And i believe that there are many people on this forum that can say that the shifter sometimes pops outof gear. There has been many threads that have talked about the trans poping out of gear. I beleve that if a cars trans pops out of gear its not normal hich also means that the car has a trans problem. GM would never come out and say such a thing, for an example hows good the rear ends in the v are. They dont have a problem either right? theirs no recall on the rear ends but they do have problem......... p.s. a clutch is part of a trans. so then yes the cts-v 05 then does have a fix for it. and even when you put it fully into gear it still pops out of gear. because of the sincizied rings are not working the way they should.

heavymetals
12-14-06, 07:33 PM
Mine pops out of gear in reverse also.

It stays in, when I engage it fully and that is with a UUC.

The shifter fixes some of the problems, but there is an inherrant design shortcoming in the linkage from the shifter to the trans.

It is not a transmission problem per se.

The T56 is a pretty proven trans.

1QUICKV
12-14-06, 09:56 PM
thats true the t56 are bullet poof

ntechnic
12-16-06, 01:45 AM
I have the UUC shifter and the Lindsey bushings, AND I cut my foam...and I pop out of 2nd gear all the time unless I'm very deliberate in my shifting and hold it in the gear for a second. Not normal...

srracer
12-16-06, 07:07 PM
I have the UUC shifter and the Lindsey bushings, AND I cut my foam...and I pop out of 2nd gear all the time unless I'm very deliberate in my shifting and hold it in the gear for a second. Not normal...

Ditto here, except my problem is 3rd gear. First time I took it to the dealer, he 'couldn't repeat' the problem, but replaced the diff bushing and called it fixed. 2nd time I took it in, I replicated the problem 5 times in 1/2 lap around his parking lot.

They ordered me a transmission, but its on backorder (or so I was told) so I'm currently awaiting a call when they get the transmission in.

-Chris

Feffman
12-16-06, 07:30 PM
I cut the foam and the rubber/plastic piece between the foam pieces back yesterday and it seems to have helped. I don't think it's a tranny issue, rather a shift linkage issue. I'm just going to be VERY deilberate about the 2nd gear engagement when I shift. OH and maybe Santa will bring me a UUC shifter!

Feff

Albertan
12-17-06, 02:12 AM
If the trans slips out of gear and it isn't due to the linkage, then it is the syncros. I remember replacing them on my old 56 chev 3 speed. Looking at new and worn ones, there isn't much difference. Here's a question, if they replace the trans under warrenty, what becomes of the old unit? Or do they rebuild the transmission?
Bruce

CTSV05
12-17-06, 10:33 AM
We had to have a trans replaced due to a loss of 2nd gear, it began first with occaisional poppings out. Then a complete loss of second.

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 05:41 PM
Yep, had that problem worked on at the dealer, second gear would pop out. Trans

srracer
12-18-06, 09:45 PM
Just got the call from my dealer... I'm dropping the car off for the new transmission on Wednesday... I'll let you know if it fixes the problem for good...

-Chris

Rickerbucks
03-27-07, 04:20 PM
Interesting. I have the problem primarily in first. It seems to be geting worse and yesterday it popped out of 3rd.

What hapens is that i will be stopped and push into 1st gear. it FEELS like I have pushed all the way. then when i let the clutch out and JUST as I start to roll......BANG.....ALWAYS scares the c**p out of me and it pops into neutral. happend in 2nd onec or twice and now third. I CANNOT replicate the problem however. The dealer is pretty cool but without being able to show him, he kind of shrugs and says it is noted on the file.

Any recommendations?

Seattle CTS-V
03-27-07, 04:48 PM
After going w/ the UUC and Lindsay's bushings I haven't had any shifting problems.

ctsvett
03-28-07, 11:16 PM
have him check your bushings.. or better yet, get under your car and look at them yourself...

Reed

rand49er
03-29-07, 08:21 AM
have him check your bushings.. or better yet, get under your car and look at them yourself...

ReedCan you really see them well enough from under the car?

I've not had this shifting problem, but I replaced my bushings (@24k mi ?), and they looked VERY tired. But, I've got a further question: How could worn bushings exhibit these symptoms? Not saying they couldn't, just not following the logic. :confused: You guys think it just makes too sloppy in there and the gears don't get fully engaged? Hmm-m ... could be I suppose.

Wonder if Mark as the originator of this thread can update us on his car.

srracer
03-29-07, 12:32 PM
My car was popping out of 3rd gear. It got worse and worse and the dealer first tried to fix it by replacing the bushings. Didn't help at all. They replaced the tranny and it was all good after that.

The trannys aren't as bullet proof as we would like to think..
:(

-Chris

srracer
03-29-07, 12:34 PM
Interesting. I have the problem primarily in first. It seems to be geting worse and yesterday it popped out of 3rd.

What hapens is that i will be stopped and push into 1st gear. it FEELS like I have pushed all the way. then when i let the clutch out and JUST as I start to roll......BANG.....ALWAYS scares the c**p out of me and it pops into neutral. happend in 2nd onec or twice and now third. I CANNOT replicate the problem however. The dealer is pretty cool but without being able to show him, he kind of shrugs and says it is noted on the file.

Any recommendations?

I had the same *EXACT* problem in 3rd. I found out that I could pretty much reproduce it by starting from a stop in 3rd gear and just kind of bog the engine down a little.

I took it to the dealer and reproduced it 5 times in 1 lap around his parking lot. His immediate response was "Well, you're starting in 3rd not first!" My response was: "The car should stall, buck, shake or spin the tires but NOT pop out of gear". He agreed and that's when they replaced the transmission.

FWIW, they had already replaced the bushings with no effect.

-Chris

explorer7700
04-04-07, 04:00 PM
Does everyone agree that the UUC shifter is the best aftermarket shifter for the V? I am considering putting one in this summer and just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks.

DRKSIDE
01-14-08, 11:09 AM
Great thread - mine is at the dealer right now for the same 2nd gear poppage. I suggested sincros, also mentioned bushings... I am not going to venture a guess as to what they will do (bushings no doubt).

FWIW - I had the same problem with my Camaro before I sold it. I am convinced it is a T56 issue.

stkshkr
01-14-08, 11:46 AM
Does everyone agree that the UUC shifter is the best aftermarket shifter for the V? I am considering putting one in this summer and just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks.

No, IMHO the B&M has a shorter throw and is less expensive. People will say it's noisy but mine isn't, wrapped with a little dynomat.

Feffman
01-14-08, 02:34 PM
I can't speak for the B&M, but the UUC shifter is great. Much better snick, snick into gear and the 2nd gear issue has virtually disappeared when I am deliberate with the 1-2 or 3-2 shift.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

trukk
01-14-08, 02:48 PM
I can't speak for the B&M, but the UUC shifter is great. Much better snick, snick into gear and the 2nd gear issue has virtually disappeared when I am deliberate with the 1-2 or 3-2 shift.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com (http://www.MVPTrackTime.com)

Mark, did you actually just describe the CTS-V shifting action as "SNICK--SNICK"?? LOL, you just lost credibility with me :lildevil: (J/k)

-Chris

Rey
01-14-08, 04:04 PM
Feffman, I suggest that you do not install the UUC shifter before complaining to your dealer. I had installed the UUC before complaining, and the dealer rep. said that "he could not rule out that the UUC was the cause", which was complete B.S. Nevertheless, I was at an impass until I could convince the dealer that an aftermarket shifter cannot be the cause of popping out of gear, which can be caused by worn syncros or the gears not fully engaged. There are internal "stops" in the T56 transmission which stop the action of any shifter at the best point for gear engagement. I had to dig up a stock shifter and show the dealer that it could not possibly cause the transmission to pop out of gear. Then they attempted to repair it under warranty. The repairs did not work and GM replaced the transmission with a new unit, which shifts far better than the stock '05 unit ever did. I have not confirmed this, but I would not be surprised to learn that my new transmission has a different part number.
Note, there was another CTS-V parked in the shop next to mine with the same problem.

v-sam
01-15-08, 12:17 AM
Mine pops out of gear in reverse also.

It stays in, when I engage it fully and that is with a UUC.

The shifter fixes some of the problems, but there is an inherrant design shortcoming in the linkage from the shifter to the trans.

It is not a transmission problem per se.

The T56 is a pretty proven trans.

"The T56 is a pretty proven trans." WTF are talking about???

The T56 is garbage!

I have had mine to the dealer 3 or 4 times "they can't replicate the problem" Bullshi* it does it all the time. O yeah this is with the UUC shifter and bushings.

Feffman and I track are cars consistently which brings out the flaws and short comings from GM design. So they need to step it up in Lansing and put a Vette or Bimmer tranny in the car!

Feffman
01-15-08, 06:57 AM
Mark, did you actually just describe the CTS-V shifting action as "SNICK--SNICK"?? LOL, you just lost credibility with me :lildevil: (J/k)

Chris, hope springs eternal for my shifter! :)

Feffman, I suggest that you do not install the UUC shifter before complaining to your dealer.

Rey, I've had the UUC shifter in since about one month after purchasing the V. Dealer doesn't care.

Feff

odla
01-15-08, 07:01 AM
mine was coming out of 2nd. they replaced the tranny. the installed the uuc shifter. good times

heavymetals
01-16-08, 12:49 PM

The T56 is garbage!

I have had mine to the dealer 3 or 4 times "they can't replicate the problem" Bullshi* it does it all the time. O yeah this is with the UUC shifter and bushings.

Feffman and I track are cars consistently which brings out the flaws and short comings from GM design. So they need to step it up in Lansing and put a Vette or Bimmer tranny in the car!

What transmission do you think is in the C5 Vette?

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5

DOH!!!

You think BMW's ZF's are bulletproof?

Link: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/bmw_transmission.html

DOH!!!

Just because you track your car doesn't mean you know how to shift gears...

trukk
01-16-08, 02:35 PM

The T56 is garbage!

So they need to step it up in Lansing and put a Vette or Bimmer tranny in the car!

GAK, Bro. T56's are definately proven and have been in everything under the sun.

Mustang Cobra's
Vipers
F body's
GTO's
Our Cars

They have never been characterized as 'smooth', but they can take a beating.

-Chris

DRKSIDE
01-17-08, 11:34 PM
UPDATE:

They replaced the motor mount and said that it was causing extra travel that made 2nd pop out. WHAT EVER!

Of course it still pops out when I downshift to 2nd and tranny brake. Hope I can reproduce in front of a tech.

heavymetals
01-18-08, 03:14 AM
What happens when you rev it up in 2nd then let off the gas?

Does it pop out then?

Sounds like you could have a bent fork.

Still a transmission problem but just wondering if it only on the downshift.