: soon to be SRX owner...carfax question

jmayhew
12-14-06, 08:15 AM
I've been wanting to get an SRX for my wife for about 2yrs now.
about to make the jump in a couple weeks.

I have a couple low milage 2006's i'm looking @

my question is this....

how come when you run a carfax for a AWD SRX...(I've done about 3 for AWD V6's)

they show up as Rear wheel Drive??

called a dealer & they didn't know why.

anyway just curious if anyone here knows?

also is there anything i should look out for?
problems, concerns, etc...

thanks & hopefully i'll be a new owner soon!

TSS
12-14-06, 08:25 AM
No clue, But I can tell you my AWD shows up as RWD on my insurance - I made them hand note it b/c computer would not accept it. So, I would not worry too much about the carfax in that regard.

c5 rv
12-14-06, 08:27 AM
Welcome!

As for the RWD / AWD carfax, I don't know if the driveline is encoded in the VIN. Maybe someone else can link to a SRX VIN decoder.

Things to look for:

- Buy Cadillac certified pre-owned! The warranty can't be beat.

- Have the dealer pull the warranty repair history for the units you're considering to see if it is a trouble-prone vehicle or one with problems reported by the previous owner but not able to be duplicated by the dealer. Unfortunately, some units, like any car brand, just seem to be possessed.

Enjoy the search and your new SRX.

jmayhew
12-14-06, 08:27 AM
yeah i'm not to worried about it now since i know whats up.
it was just that the one SRX i have been looking @ & working with the dealer for 2-3 weeks is a 3-4 hr drive away & after i ran the carfax i thought the guy was BS'ing me all this time. but then i found out they all show as RWD.

i just wondered if anyone knew why.

mjk
12-14-06, 10:25 AM
my preowned 04 v6 AWD showed up also as RWD on CARFAX. :hmm:
I wouldn't worry, and good luck!

Mike_S_30189
12-14-06, 10:53 AM
The reason for the issue is that the VIN decoder can not pick up the difference between 2WD & AWD. This is the only GM vehicle I am aware of that has this issue. Other threads have explained how to physically ensure you have AWD.

Hope this helps!!!

Krug Ford
12-14-06, 11:13 AM
I can run reports on any of my cars free of charge. .

If it is on another lot I can run you a report for $7.00

caddycruiser
12-14-06, 12:37 PM
The reason for the issue is that the VIN decoder can not pick up the difference between 2WD & AWD. This is the only GM vehicle I am aware of that has this issue. Other threads have explained how to physically ensure you have AWD.

Hope this helps!!!

Yes. A key reason why is because AWD is considered an option just like a different stereo would be on these vehicles--they aren't specified as different models, like V6 RWD or V8 AWD, from the start. Mainly, from that, there's NO vin differentiator, so when decoding a vin, they all just show up as the standard RWD.

This is unlike, for example, GM full size trucks where vin's are unique to 2wd/4wd, with the 5th letter designating which--"C" for 2wd, and "K" for 4wd.

It's an odd thing, and can be confusing, but it all comes down to just how the AWD feature is handled--a separate model & unique vin, or the standard car and it just being an optional feature.

robhersch
12-14-06, 04:29 PM
Suggest you also check with the GM "TIS" center, enter the vehicle VIN for service info; also believe the RWD and AWD have different trans RPO option codes.