: 1st Oil Change ?

sj1400
12-14-06, 09:01 AM
At what mileage did you all peform the 1st oil change ?

Dealer wants me to bring it in at 3000 miles for a free oil change.

Call me old school but I feel 1000 miles is a reasonable time to get the breakin oil out. I assume any new engine will have small metal shavings from parts seating. On the corvette forum many believe this is a old school mentality since new manufacturing tolerances are tighter.

After that I assume the oil monitor will be accurate in terms of the proper oil change interval. Used Motorcraft in my old trucks which was semisynthetic so I felt comfortable changing oil every 5k.

hcvone
12-14-06, 09:17 AM
My first oil change is around 1000 miles, I switch to synthetic oils at that point, I have done this since the early 80's to all my cars/trucks, I usually change the gear oil at that point, I do it myself so it only costs me the oils. :) For synthetic oils Amsoil and Red Line are two of the better choices, and Mobil 1 is a good choice for over the counter. :)

copeysnack2003
12-14-06, 05:48 PM
On many of the new vehicles I've owned, they actually warned not to have the first oil change done early because they put special adatives in the oil from the factory. They say that oil must stay in there for the full lenght of time. It was this way on my 03 Silverado and my 06 Honda Ridgeline. Not sure if that applies in this case, but food for thought.
Personnally, I'm going to wait the full 3000 to change mine.

LLT
12-14-06, 09:38 PM
On many of the new vehicles I've owned, they actually warned not to have the first oil change done early because they put special adatives in the oil from the factory. They say that oil must stay in there for the full lenght of time. It was this way on my 03 Silverado and my 06 Honda Ridgeline. Not sure if that applies in this case, but food for thought.

I told my dealer I wanted to switch to synthetic and they said they recommend leaving the factory fill in until 3000. I've always, in the past, changed at 1000 to rid the motor of assembly shavings... the dealer insists the way motors are built these days, that's not necessary.

hcvone
12-15-06, 08:11 AM

That is only true if the factory is using "break in oil" , I know my M5 comes that way. American cars/trucks do not use any additives or break in oils

hcvone
12-15-06, 08:14 AM
I told my dealer I wanted to switch to synthetic and they said they recommend leaving the factory fill in until 3000. I've always, in the past, changed at 1000 to rid the motor of assembly shavings... the dealer insists the way motors are built these days, that's not necessary.

My last few Corvette's and GM trucks all had some metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug when changing the oil at aprox 1000 miles, by the next change there was none. I personally like to get the stock oil out ASAP and replace with synthetic. :)

LLT
12-15-06, 12:10 PM
My last few Corvette's and GM trucks all had some metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug when changing the oil at aprox 1000 miles, by the next change there was none. I personally like to get the stock oil out ASAP and replace with synthetic. :)

Good to know, thanks for the info, Carl. :)

DLH
12-15-06, 12:19 PM
I dropped mine off for a sanity check yesterday and asked that they do whatever it is they do at 1500 miles. He called this morning and adviced against an oil change but did say that the truck was smart enough to tell them what needed to be done and upgraded. I bought it 3 weeks ago and it required 4 upgrades to include the acceleration/tranny hesitation that has been written up here.

hcvone
12-15-06, 12:50 PM
Well all I can say is they made a lot of changes to my newest truck, it's hard to believe how many small changes were made in 80 days between the building of two trucks.

DLH
12-15-06, 12:55 PM
Well all I can say is they made a lot of changes to my newest truck, it's hard to believe how many small changes were made in 80 days between the building of two trucks.

Sounds to me like you've been through just about every rev they've put out. Enough to drive a grown man to drink..:alchi:

sj1400
12-15-06, 06:34 PM
I feel better now - just got back from having the oil changed.

Dealer also ordered a part to stop all the wind noise from the drivers side door window. He was already familiar with the problem and showed me the printout of the tsb(fix). Parts should be in Monday.

DLH
12-15-06, 07:30 PM
I feel better now - just got back from having the oil changed.

Dealer also ordered a part to stop all the wind noise from the drivers side door window. He was already familiar with the problem and showed me the printout of the tsb(fix). Parts should be in Monday.

What did the part look like? Where does it go? Thanks

sj1400
12-20-06, 08:09 PM
DLH,

The dealer installed 2 fillers on the drivers door - Part # 15913368.
Wind noise(whistle) was gone on the way home.