: Problems

SLAB
12-14-06, 08:04 AM
I bought my 06 cts-v with 2700 miles on it, and reading this forum everyday makes me wonder if I really made the right decision. I just don't understand why one car can have all these problems. I have had many vehicles in my life and not one of them have had anything bad happen. USA only cars and trucks BTW. I feel that every time I drive my V something bad is going to happen. Maybe someone can post some positive vibes in this forum to make me feel better. I really love this car and I'm so lucky I stole it from some lady for $35.000.00. Please can anyone here make me feel good about my V? There has to be some people out there that haven't had any problems.

ajedwardsjr
12-14-06, 08:55 AM
I absolutely love my car. Period. I've had my 2005 CTS-V for 18,000 miles, and I have not experienced any significant problems. I have run into two minor glitches - neither one affected the performance or the driveability, and both were fixed quickly by the dealer under warranty. (First, the paint began to flake off from one of the radio buttons. No big deal. Replaced quickly, under warranty, and I got to drive an beautiful Radiant Bronze STS around for a day or two while they did the repair. Second, one of the radio buttons failed to light up at night. No big deal. Replaced quickly, under warranty, and I got to drive an brand new (82 miles) Blue Chip SRX around for a day or two while they did the repair.) By the way, with both of these problems, I just waited until my next oil change was due - no need to make a special trip to the dealer for the fix. No problems with the rear end. No problems with the engine. No problems with the shift linkage.
This car is a ton of fun to drive. And, I have a lot of fun with it. I don't think I baby it, but then I don't trash it, either. It accelerates with the best, it handles superbly at any speed, and it always turns heads. Plus, the dealer has treated me very, very well. Much better than I way I was treated with my last few cars (Acura, BMW).
I think that by their very nature, boards like this are going to get postings of complaint over postings of praise by a large, large margin. People with bad experiences are very likely to want to bitch about those; people with good experiences rarely speak up.

NIK
12-14-06, 09:01 AM
I bought my 06 cts-v with 2700 miles on it, and reading this forum everyday makes me wonder if I really made the right decision. I just don't understand why one car can have all these problems. I have had many vehicles in my life and not one of them have had anything bad happen. USA only cars and trucks BTW. I feel that every time I drive my V something bad is going to happen. Maybe someone can post some positive vibes in this forum to make me feel better. I really love this car and I'm so lucky I stole it from some lady for $35.000.00. Please can anyone here make me feel good about my V? There has to be some people out there that haven't had any problems.

There are a LOT of us out here who have had zero problems - you will normally only hear from those who do. My V is an '05 built 5/27/04 and I have to say it has been one of the best (if not the best) cars I have ever owned! And I've owned a lot of cars, most of them of the "muscle" variety. To this day I don't have (never had) the dreaded "clunk", my rear doesn't whine, etc. Even though I had no problems, I did, however, have my radiator and sail panels replaced by my dealer before they were an issue (great dealer!) My only gripe was with the original F-1 runflats which had to be replaced at 9,800 miles. But even that was made less painful by Goodyear giving me a $200.00 credit per tire on a new set of my choice, RSA all season runflats.

Do I love this car? You bet! And as a side benefit which I did not expect, the car still evokes positive comments from people almost on a daily basis (too numerous to list.)

I came on this forum in April of 2004 after I ordered my V - after reading the negatives the first week or so I almost cancelled my order! I'm glad I didn't.

To make a long story short, there are a lot of great guys (and gals) on this forum, and they have a wealth of information for V enthsiasts. Take the negatives for what they are and file them as useful information, but don't let them detract you from enjoying this great machine ...... it's a blast!

rand49er
12-14-06, 09:02 AM
I absolutely love my car. Period. I've had my 2005 CTS-V for 18,000 miles, and I have not experienced any significant problems. I have run into two minor glitches - neither one affected the performance or the driveability, and both were fixed quickly by the dealer under warranty. (First, the paint began to flake off from one of the radio buttons. No big deal. Replaced quickly, under warranty, and I got to drive an beautiful Radiant Bronze STS around for a day or two while they did the repair. Second, one of the radio buttons failed to light up at night. No big deal. Replaced quickly, under warranty, and I got to drive an brand new (82 miles) Blue Chip SRX around for a day or two while they did the repair.) By the way, with both of these problems, I just waited until my next oil change was due - no need to make a special trip to the dealer for the fix. No problems with the rear end. No problems with the engine. No problems with the shift linkage.
This car is a ton of fun to drive. And, I have a lot of fun with it. I don't think I baby it, but then I don't trash it, either. It accelerates with the best, it handles superbly at any speed, and it always turns heads. Plus, the dealer has treated me very, very well. Much better than I way I was treated with my last few cars (Acura, BMW).
I think that by their very nature, boards like this are going to get postings of complaint over postings of praise by a large, large margin. People with bad experiences are very likely to want to bitch about those; people with good experiences rarely speak up.Couldn't have said it better. :xgrin:

CIWS
12-14-06, 09:13 AM
05 V, 21,000 miles and no warranty work done on the car. I ran into another owner at the dealership once while having an oil change done and he was an 04 V at 31,000 miles and only bitched about how fast the tires worn down. You have to keep in perspective the number of people you see posting here, vs the number of actual cars there are out there driving around. Yes the car has some issues, but so do all cars, especially higher performance models.

Silver Dollar
12-14-06, 09:59 AM
Maybe we should make a sticky thread where those of us who are not having problems can post periodic updates saying that we have no problems.

Something like this:

12,000 miles and no problems with my V. I have noticed a bad smell coming from my rear, however, it has nothing to do with my car.

Davidstan
12-14-06, 10:44 AM
Same here , no probs. The primary purpose of these forums is to vent problems and look for solutions. Any car forum will have a disproportionate amount of complaints.

Kadonny
12-14-06, 11:18 AM
All I can say is you guys are lucky and congrats.

I love the car and I have had my fair share of problems.

CIWS
12-14-06, 11:26 AM
What have you had other than your engine replaced ?

atdeneve
12-14-06, 12:22 PM

Heh heh. I see you're quite the understanding mate, ain't ya?

GASCARRACER
12-14-06, 12:48 PM
19,00 and change. No warrenty problems. Just replaced rear tires. Fronts are still good. Great car. More snap than my 1996 Corvette.

Kadonny
12-14-06, 04:43 PM

Engine replaced
Clutch master cylinder bad
Rear drip (twice)
Rear whine
XM not being recognized

I know the 2 rear items are very common as is the XM thing and they may be minor, but still it's a problem. A trouble free car to me means "no trouble".
Even the new engine is burning oil, not at the rate the old one was but still at a rate I feel it should not be.

And yes, the engine replacement is pretty major. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater to any stretch of the imagination, I'm just saying I have had problems, that's all.

CIWS
12-14-06, 04:47 PM
I've done the new car engine thing in the past with a Mazda/Ford. It shat it's engine at 10,200 miles. Luckily the 2nd one worked for the next 5 years until I traded it in.

svassh
12-14-06, 06:34 PM
How about if you have no issues with the few minor problems the car has but you have a real problem with Dealer handling of the issues?

Find me a performance car that has no driveline issues. It doesn't exist. Now find me another performance car where you get treated like crap, your issues reported are not written down or even reviewed. My V recently spent 3 days last week in the shop for a parking brake adjustment, which even now is only marginally better than when it went in. Read my blog (not so much a blog as a way for me to 'legally' remember how crappy my dealer is.) if you want to see bitching.

Its unbelievable how Cadillac wants to turn their image around but allows their dealers (who last I checked got PAID for warranty work) to screw the owners over because their technicians and service mgrs are not trained.

Now I know some of you guys have GREAT dealers and god bless you. However given the amount of negative versus positive dealer interaction I see on this board an 'at best' 50% dealer satisfaction rating is ridiculous for a Cadillac.

dqw1
12-14-06, 06:52 PM
I'm very happy. Had the radiator, battery and two TPS's replaced and the dreaded reduced power. But everything was repaired under warranty and I have the luxury of having an excellent service department and a very helpful V forum. I smile at the best car I've ever driven every day.

Black Sunshine
12-14-06, 06:58 PM
Lordy, lordy. Go to another dealer. Then another. You WILL find a good one. I bought my V over in the next town when the salesman at the local Caddy delaer didn't take my inquiry seriously and act on it. Now they have my picture taped to his message board as a reminder. I walk into that same local dealership, speak to the service and parts folks, calling them by name, and you now what? I get jobber discounts on all my parts and GREAT service at both dealerships.

Problems with The Don V? Yep. Made them wet sand, spray and buff a terrible paint job. They've replaced a few parts. Working on swapping out my nav system with flaking buttons up to a more recent bluetooth model, too. And speakers with paper cones? Man PLEASE!

GREATLY overshadowing all this is the fact that this is one helluva piece of American engineering. I'm proud to own it. I'm glad I got a chance to "vote" with my dollars to let GM know they should give ALL their divisions the opportunties they've given Cadillac and they might actually turn a sad corporate situation into a good one.
It's very fast.
It's very comfortable.
It's been reliable.
And folks ask me about it all the time.
That's what I paid for and I'm gettin my money's worth.

1QUICKV
12-14-06, 08:23 PM
I want to play in the fun:
-OEM radiator been replaced and has already gone bad but i re-clamped it (19,000 miles)
-sail panels (unknowned)
-reverse pops out if i go fast in reverse =(
-wheel hope (all the time 24/7)
-rear end changed once (16,000 miles)
-shifter s***'*
other then that the cars good, every time i take the car out (once a week if the weathers good) somthing goes bad half the time.

svassh
12-14-06, 09:52 PM
Lordy, lordy. Go to another dealer. Then another. You WILL find a good one.

Exactly my point, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

Florian
12-14-06, 10:14 PM
almost 70K miles and nothing to report out of the ordinary....

F

ctsvett
12-16-06, 09:59 PM
we all come here to get help with problems... Therefore, you will see alot of problems.... I have always said that there are not enough, "this car rocks" threads, because those dont get read as much...

Bottom line: THIS CAR ROCKS.... despite the little things.

Reed

BLACK_CTSV
12-17-06, 01:30 AM
we all come here to get help with problems... Therefore, you will see alot of problems.... I have always said that there are not enough, "this car rocks" threads, because those dont get read as much...

Bottom line: THIS CAR ROCKS.... despite the little things.

Reed

I love this kind of post!

I agree - I've owned 2 C5's, and there are a myriad of problems on the websites that would suggest that they're all lemons. I didn't have any problems with either 'Vette (minor things, only), and was very happy with both cars. I'm really hoping to have the same experience with the V. :cheers:

Albertan
12-17-06, 02:50 AM
These forums are a bit like newspapers. They report and help people that are having problems. You never hear about the millions of people that weren't killed yesterday, only the one that was.
I bought a 2004 Lux/sport CTS last year. My wife liked it so much I had to buy a 2006V so I could actually drive one. Same color in and out, they're TWINS!
Bruce

1QUICKV
12-17-06, 02:59 AM
my car story, i take the car out nights and weekends if the weathers good. my car has 19000 miles on it and the clutch has been babied since i've had it. friday night the pedal did no fully come back up and after pumping it it can back up. and now the clutch feels like its shot. it engages so hight now. and my right motor mount went............wtf!:thumbsup:

calicadi
12-17-06, 10:11 PM
13K miles on my '04 and zero problems. This car totally rocks! Nothing in it's price range with the same level of performance, style and comfort.

enyo
12-17-06, 10:27 PM
7000 or so miles on my 06. No issues, lots of "spirted" driving out of the box.

ntechnic
12-18-06, 12:07 AM
This car rocks. Just a Corsa exhaust, UUC, LPE, intake pipe, and StealthV tune, and this car does everything awesomely. I love every minute of driving it.

Problems, yes:

- clutch replaced (TSB)
- radiator leaked-replaced (TSB)
- 12K miles and on 3rd battery
- DVD/Nav/Radio replaced for random volume changing problem
- 2nd DVD/Nav/Radio replaced because 1st replacement one began to flake paint off buttons
- Competition mode refused to work
- Cruise control sensor failure
- Rear bushings under TSB

For all the power happy fun, the great handling, the comfort for my whole family, the large trunk, will I keep the car when the warranty is over? Probably not.

kueh
12-18-06, 01:58 AM
Had my 05 V for 16 months. It was built in 06/04. Have not had any major problems that I've read about on this forum. No clunk. No stuck clutch over 6K RPM. Had paint chip off my radio, which they replaced in 1 day. Had my shifter came loose when I'm driving. So I just stuck it back down in the boot and kept driving. :) I got onto this forum after I bought my car. I was so scared, and every little noise in my car and probably went into the dealership twice a week, but I've never owned a muscle car before and never a domestic. I thought I made the wrong decision. But after 26K on my car, everything is perfect.