: No it's not a V-12...

jnrandall
12-13-06, 09:51 PM
Please tell me I am not the only one getting this question. I originally dismissed the first time I heard it a couple of weeks ago. Today, I was stuck in traffic on 34th St. near Macy's and a police officer motioned to me to roll down the window. He told me that my ride sounded sweet. (enjoying day 2 with my new Magnaflow exhaust. :D )

Then he asked me if it was a V-12. :banghead:

I don't know whether I should take it as a compliment and then enlighten the commentor or just slap them! :)

Needless to say, the fuzz got the explanation.

1QUICKV
12-13-06, 10:04 PM
i guess he really liked the exhaust. that it sounded like a v-12

Venomous-V
12-13-06, 10:09 PM
Ha, i thought i was the only one who got that idiotic question. Some tird in a decked out neon srt4 stopped next to me at a light and asked. I just said 8 and rolled up my window. I guess the rudeness/cockiness/and the actual meaning of my answer gave him the idea and confidence that he had a chance.......he's sittin there hittin his blowoff valve like a premature ejaculator and then the light switches. He nails it off the line,gave him a second or two head start for fun and then i jump on it. chirp second past him then two car lengths ahead chirp third. Sometimes you just gotta show those little bastards who's who and what's what!!!!

JP's V
12-14-06, 12:06 AM
Got the same question from a slack jawed Circle K cashier. Where is this coming from?

chipenstein
12-14-06, 02:35 AM
Too funny...at least he didn't ask you if it was a V-6! :histeric:

visionik
12-14-06, 07:05 AM
I've been asked if my car is a V-12 or a V-10.

I think people ask because the V series logo kinda looks like it's a V with a stylized 10 or 12 after it. Thus people see it on the side of our cars and ask.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/phone-cts-v-logo.jpg

Silver Dollar
12-14-06, 09:03 AM
Damn, me too. A gal asked me that question as well. Said her husband saw my car the other day and wondered if it had a V-12.

Maybe we need to pop the hoods and count our cylinders.

CIWS
12-14-06, 09:08 AM
I looked and my engine is a V4X2

The Tony Show
12-14-06, 10:40 AM
The best one I've had went like this:

Guy at gas station: "Dang that thing sounds nasty! What'cha got under the hood?"

Me: "5.7L Small block Corvette engine"

Guy: "You put a Corvette engine in a Cadillac!!??"

Me: "No, it came that way"

Guy: *Incredulous stare*

Other times I like to tell them it's a 3.2L with an exhaust, then offer to race them for pinks.

No takers yet....

atdeneve
12-14-06, 11:12 AM
I've received the same question. No, dammit, it's only a V-8!

Ha, i thought i was the only one who got that idiotic question. Some tird in a decked out neon srt4 stopped next to me at a light and asked. I just said 8 and rolled up my window. I guess the rudeness/cockiness/and the actual meaning of my answer gave him the idea and confidence that he had a chance.......he's sittin there hittin his blowoff valve like a premature ejaculator and then the light switches. He nails it off the line,gave him a second or two head start for fun and then i jump on it. chirp second past him then two car lengths ahead chirp third. Sometimes you just gotta show those little bastards who's who and what's what!!!!

Those SRT-4s aren't to be simply dismissed. Pretty easy to get a good amount of power out of those 4-bangers (after all, it is FI).

I also ran one at highway speeds and, like you, expected a cake walk (pssh, neon; what's he think he's gonna do, right?). Well, wanting to get at least a semi-run in, I pop out of gear into neutral and drop back, as to give him somewhat of a chance. As he downshifts, I'm falling behind his rear quarter panels and, damn, that exhaust is frackin loud. I'm thinkin', ah shit, he musta done some heavy mods an he's gonna make me look like the fool, huh? The triple A-pillar gauge, kinda tipped me off, but every ricer and his mom has that at the top a their mod-list.

Anyway, I quickly rev er up and pick up in 3rd. Keep in mind, before this point, I was losing speed in neutral and he was quickly picking up speed (and I mean quickly), so it's a huge difference in inertia. But the V was almost immediately on him and picking up pace as I pass him. Coming up in front of me was a car blocking my lane, while his lane was free. Still both of us deep in the throttle. As I edge past him and continue to creep, he lets off and I move into his lane. Give each other acknowledgement for playing. Next bend, there's a cop sitting on the other side.

Anyways, it was one of those situations where I didn't know what to feel. Did I almost get my ass kicked by a SRT-4 or did I just rape him, considering the huge handicap I gave him? It was a good 1-2 second of him going full throttle before I even revved it up and went into gear, but, boy, in those 1-2 seconds I thought I had already lost due to my over-confidence. I mean, he really just picked up, but I guess the V was able to pick up even faster. Almost caught me off guard. Kinda made my heart jump when his ass end blurted in my face. They can be made to pull though.

The Tony Show
12-14-06, 11:47 AM
^ Not to mention the fact that our cars weigh 4,000 lbs. without driver and stuff in the car. I never sneer at 4 bangers for that very reason.

trukk
12-14-06, 12:57 PM

I think people ask because the V series logo kinda looks like it's a V with a stylized 10 or 12 after it. Thus people see it on the side of our cars and ask.

Thats roman numerals son. VII. Yup 7 cylinder! :D

-Chris

BLACK_CTSV
12-14-06, 01:15 PM

You're exactly right - a co-worker thought the same thing.

P-Funk
12-14-06, 03:19 PM
Thats roman numerals son. VII. Yup 7 cylinder! :D

-Chris

Ha ha. Nice.

jnrandall
12-14-06, 03:35 PM
Huh, I didn't see that before.

Cool. :)

Luna.
12-14-06, 04:22 PM
The best one I've had went like this:

Guy at gas station: "Dang that thing sounds nasty! What'cha got under the hood?"

Me: "5.7L Small block Corvette engine"

Guy: "You put a Corvette engine in a Cadillac!!??"

Me: "No, it came that way"

Guy: *Incredulous stare*

Other times I like to tell them it's a 3.2L with an exhaust, then offer to race them for pinks.

No takers yet....

:histeric:

Koooop
12-14-06, 05:13 PM
Someone asked me that, I just replied,

"I wish".

Rey Rey 650
12-14-06, 05:55 PM
Too funny...at least he didn't ask you if it was a V-6! :histeric:

Whats wrong with a V-6? I had some assshole the other day ask me if it was the car with the corvette engine....

PS. I dont think the Grille fooled him....I had on the sports gille. I just need to update my pic

The Tony Show
12-14-06, 08:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with a V6, unless you have a V8.

Imagine someone asking you if your car was a 4 cylinder, and you'll get the idea.

Koooop
12-17-06, 10:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with a V6, especially if you weld two of them together.

Even Corvettes came with a six a few years back.

heavymetals
12-17-06, 03:14 PM
Its just gotta have pushrods....:stirpot:

pushrod=hotrod

The Tony Show
12-17-06, 08:37 PM
It's not a V-12 comment, but I had a conversation today with a guy in an old 350SL Mercedes that lasted about 10 miles (each stoplight we'd continue). He kept asking questions like "stick or auto" and "how fast is it?".

It was fun.

RobertCTS
12-18-06, 07:04 AM
Maybe you could tell them Cadillac doesn't have a V-12 but they do have a V-16!!(used in the "Sweet 16") I saw this Cadillac 2 years ago in the Columbus AutoShow.:)

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/v-16caddy.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/03_cad_sixteen1.jpg

Koooop
12-19-06, 01:31 PM
:shhh: There could be a V12 somewhere around Cadillac, but don't tell.

RobertCTS
12-20-06, 04:33 AM
Maybe you could tell them Cadillac doesn't have a V-12 but they do have a V-16!!(used in the "Sweet 16") I saw this Cadillac 2 years ago in the Columbus AutoShow.:)

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/v-16caddy.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/03_cad_sixteen1.jpg

The V 16 engine pumps out 1,000 Horsepower!!!!!

HiTechRV
12-20-06, 04:51 AM
Cadillac does not have a v-12 in productyion, anyway...

I see the V10/V12 thing in the logo now - never noticed it before!

doc-V
12-20-06, 11:37 AM
I have got that too
most likely with the young kids the reason is that they listen to too much rap
with all the rappers talking about pushing the 12s