: Should I? ('06 diff replacement)

JJKJ
12-13-06, 03:29 PM
I've been contemplating taking the car in for warranty repair of the rear diff. Mine's an '04 which I bought with 11k mi; I now have 13k mi. The diff has whined since I bought it between 40 and 50 mph. Nothing real terrible, but enough to be annoying at times. I haven't pursued having it replaced because it has held up fine and the whining is overall bearible. However, I've gotten C6 fever and I'm looking at selling the V to move into the Vette. My question is--as a buyer would you rather purchase a car with a diff that has a mild whine, knowing you could get it repaired under warranty, or would you favor having the repair completed prior to purchase? Me personally, I'd rather purchase the car with the original diff knowing it wasn't blown to bits by some crazy wheel hopping, tire-smoking frenzy that could've damaged other components. Then again, the whining diff could be seen as a problem to a potential buyer. I could always tell the potential buyer why I replaced the diff, but any buyer with any skepticism at all would probably wonder if I were telling the truth (I'd probably wonder).

So what would you guys do--let her whine a bit or get it replaced? Also, as a side note, there's no guarantee I'll sell the V considering current resale values, so if you were planning on keeping the car, would you have the diff replaced under my circumstances. I ask this question because according to some of the threads, the '06 diffs sometimes do not cure the whine.

Thanks,

John

svassh
12-13-06, 03:32 PM
If you can find a dealer that will do it without giving you too much lip, replace it.

urbanski
12-13-06, 03:34 PM
If you can find a dealer that will do it without giving you too much lip, replace it.

:yeah:
but alot will give you lip

rand49er
12-13-06, 03:58 PM
Ah-h, the 40-50 whine ...same one I had. Thing is, when I mentioned it to the dealer, the service writer actually suggested that I get a new one.

I see your dilemma: darned if you do, darned if you don't. BUT, for me, knowin' what I know now, I'd get it changed. Be honest when you tell the prospective buyer, and that's all you can do. Plus, you could also point to this forum and let the guy read all about it.

zozmanCTS-V
12-13-06, 05:02 PM
... My question is--as a buyer would you rather purchase a car with a diff that has a mild whine, knowing you could get it repaired under warranty, or would you favor having the repair completed prior to purchase?... Then again, the whining diff could be seen as a problem to a potential buyer. I could always tell the potential buyer why I replaced the diff, but any buyer with any skepticism at all would probably wonder if I were telling the truth (I'd probably wonder). So what would you guys do--let her whine a bit or get it replaced? Thanks, John

Get the rear replaced prior to selling it. When I was looking for a V for the wife, we found one the right color, the right price close to our home at a dealership. We test drove it and liked it. Low mileage and mint condition. Prior to closing the deal, I ran the GM VIS record to discover that the rear was replaced several months before. The previous owner was an elderly gentleman who traded it in on a Ford F-350. Knowing about the rear end troubles this car has and that the rear was already replaced sold us on the deal. Eliminating any problems a car has prior to sale benefits the seller as well as the buyer. I'd replace the rear. :thumbsup:

Randy

BLACK_CTSV
12-13-06, 06:26 PM
Agreed - I'd much rather have the upgraded unit in the car, knowing what I know now.

mike041357
12-13-06, 06:32 PM
I agree. Mine wasn't too bad either, but I took my Service Advisor and the Service Manager (who rode in the back seat) for a ride. I asked them if there was anything they could do, change fluid, etc. They called later in the day saying there were getting a new diff for it and it would be ready tomorrow.

So far, the "nice" approach has worked for me.

Good luck!

JJKJ
12-14-06, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. Next step is to see how the dealer handles my complaint.

John

HiTechRV
12-26-06, 02:21 PM
How did it go? I think I'd get the updated diff under warranty if they would give it to me.

JJKJ
12-26-06, 06:28 PM
I haven't done anything yet, been too busy with the holidays. Considering resale values, I may end up keeping mine. I'd like to be able to buy a C6 in Jan/Feb when the market prices are at their low, however the problem is that our V values are at their lowest then as well. If I keep it, I won't be in a big hurry to get the diff swapped since the whine isn't too bad.

John

GT04CTS-V
12-26-06, 07:55 PM
06 Diff is a piece of junk too. My 04 V is was on 06 Diff number 2 when I sold it.

GT