: Chicago edition!!

Benzilla
12-13-06, 01:13 PM
On eBay right now '79 CDV black and silver. Aren't they rare as hell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-1979-Cadillac-Deville_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6146QQihZ010QQi temZ200058454132QQrdZ1

Pete Benson
12-13-06, 08:25 PM
On eBay right now '79 CDV black and silver. Aren't they rare as hell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-1979-Cadillac-Deville_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6146QQihZ010QQi temZ200058454132QQrdZ1

Yes, they are. It actually is a special edition, factory trim job which I believe was available regionally within the US, and for the '79 model year only. A friend of mine bought one new, and at least out here in northern California they were known as Coupe D'Marchands. I emphasize that it was not an aftermarket package - the cars were built that way at the factory.

bicentennialcadillac
12-13-06, 10:24 PM
'79 seems, in retrospect, a very elaborate year for Cadillac in general. After going cheapo in some respects in '78 (elimination of rocker-style switches, map lights in FB/dV,) we got multiple special editions, digital radios, available deluxe mouton carpeting and goodies like stainless roofs on Eldos and the Seville trip computer.

Benzilla
12-13-06, 11:13 PM
'79 was the last of the true old school. You really notice it when you have a '79, and then ones from the '80s. Dimmer switch still on the floor, analog climate control, words like guide-O-matic lol. I long for those days.

Coupe de Ville D'Marchands would be the correct name, but up in MI we all called them Chicagos. If I hadn't gone for a Phaeton I'd probably get one of these.

caddieboy
12-14-06, 12:03 AM
'79 was the last of the true old school. You really notice it when you have a '79, and then ones from the '80s. Dimmer switch still on the floor, analog climate control, words like guide-O-matic lol. I long for those days.

I miss the dimmer switch on the floor. *sigh*

N0DIH
12-14-06, 12:29 AM
How about the 92-96 Caprice wheels?

Benzilla
12-14-06, 01:07 AM
They should never be on there IMO.

Cadillac_Fan
12-14-06, 03:21 PM
1979 was one of Cadillac's best years in my opinion. As I've remarked before, my '79 Fleetwood Brougham was just a phenomenal Cadillac, with most accessories functioning when I parted with it, not to mention the strong 7.0L engine - a reliable workhorse with a powerful attitude when I dropped the hammer.

That remarkable era offered the Phaeton, Gucci Seville, Coupe deVille D'Marchands, Le Cabriolet, and Pierre Cardin Cadillacs, among others.
Speaking of wicked accessories on Cadillacs of the late 70's, I particularly liked the outside illuminated thermometer on the driver's-side rearview mirror, and the fact the exterior opera lamps were serviceable, too!

Intriguingly, Cadillac also used some rust-resistant Zincrometal (1977?) body panels and lightweight aluminum hoods.

Link below is from Cadillac LaSalleClub -Raritan River Region (NJ):
http://www.rrrclc.org/images3/ad_79_stats1.jpg

Benzilla
12-14-06, 03:54 PM
That light weight aluminum hood is a godsend, my '79 has one. It's so much easier to close than the ones on my newer Caddies.

great post by the way.

Cadillac_Fan
12-14-06, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Ben. Have to agree on the aluminum hoods, too. Wish my '77 Eldorado had one - that one's a real nut-buster to open.

It's ashame the '80s weren't as kind to Cadillac as the '77-79's. I think Cadillac's R&D people had good intentions, but prematurely released unperfected products and technology that was truly ahead of it's time - time Cadillac engineers needed to perfect and work out some of the flaws of the '80's (i.e. V-6, HT-4100, V-8/6/4, diesels, Cimarron, etc...)

Likewise, you sure contribute significantly to the forum - I've learned volumes since my time here.