: Verizon and OnStar

copeysnack2003
12-13-06, 12:46 AM
Anyone have the Verizon America's choice plan with their onstar phone included? I'm looking at getting that plan and was hoping to pick a truck phone number close to my verizon cell number. Anyone ever try to do this successfully?

Synergetic
12-13-06, 01:23 AM
Why? You have a cell phone, you said.

Shodan01
12-13-06, 10:06 PM
I thought about it too since I like the bluetooth option that is not available (to my knowledge). My dealer said that the bluetooth would require new speakers and alot of work.

The 10 bucks a month would be fairly inexpensive.....to add the line to the system....

Falkolade
12-13-06, 11:01 PM
buy a bluetooth headset... thats even cheaper... i just think its a waste for 10 bucks a month... but hey that could just be me

ewill3rd
12-14-06, 06:48 AM
You must have the digital hardware setup in your vehicle.
If it's older than an '06 you'll have to upgrade most likely.
The current pricing on the upgrade is a 1 year subscription plus some minor fees. I think it comes out to just over $200 for the digital upgrade (without looking it up).

Then you'd be looking at linking your vehicle to your Verizon account for the "additional line" charge. If you are already paying for OnStar and you use personal calling at all, or want to reduce the use of your cell phone to use the hands free option of the vehicle, it's worth it. Oh and if you have Verizon already ;)

Waxhat
12-14-06, 08:57 AM
I have an 04 ESV and I upgraded my Onstar to digital.The hands free calling works great.I looked into linking my Verizon account to the Onstar and it didn't make sence for me. I just purchase 200 minutes for 70.00 from onstar. and it lasts me along time. With the digital upgrade you just say the number or name tag and you're talking.

copeysnack2003
12-14-06, 05:52 PM
One of the reasons I like to use my vehicle phone vice my cell phone is because it NEVER loses a signal. This is because the truck phone uses a lot more power (like 100 times) than the cell (limited because they think it will hurt people). So, paying the 10 bucks extra is well worth it to me.

ewill3rd
12-14-06, 06:31 PM
That's the main advantage to OnStar, the transceiver is WAY more powerful than a handheld unit.
If I traveled more I might think about that too.